The Eye Book of Master Peter of Spain – a glimpse of diagnosis and treatment of eye disease in the Middle Ages
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Peter Hispanus, who became Pope John XXI, wrote a book about eye diseases and their treatment in the 13th century. De Oculis was not a scholarly treatise about eye diseases, but a manual intended for general physicians. Nevertheless, Latin copies were made into the 16th century, indicating its influence and importance. We present the first published English translation of De Oculis, based on a synthesis of the medieval Latin manuscripts and a German translation from the 19th century. The sources of Peter's understanding of the causes and treatment of eye diseases were the more scholarly and complete treatises by Greek and Arab writers. Many of the diseases described then cannot be correlated precisely with ophthalmic disorders known to us today because of the limited understanding of anatomy, function and pathophysiology that existed. However, De Oculis provides us with a glimpse of the practice of medicine in the Middle Ages.
- Lindberg, DC. (1975) A Catalogue of Medieval and Renaissance Optical Manuscripts. Pontifical Institute of Medieval Studies, Toronto
- Vatican, Bibl. Apost., MS Vat. Lat. 3211, fols. 102r–103v. 16th C.
- Ogden MS, ed. The Cyrurgie of Guy de Chauliac. London: Oxford University, 1971: 437, 466, 604.
- Stapper, R. (1898) Papst Joannes XXI. Westfälische Vereinsdruckerei, Münster
- DeRijk, LM. (1970) On the Life of Peter of Spain, the Author of the Tractatus, called afterwards Summule Logicales. Vivarium 8: pp. 140-2
- Vatican, Bibl. Apost., Storia Ecclesiastica, Folio I. 1B(22).
- Alonso, MA. (1961) Pedro Hispano: Scientia Libri de Anima.. Juan Flors, Barcelona
- Guthrie, D. (1946) A History of Medicine. Lippincott, Philadelphia
- Da Rocha Pereira, MH. (1973) Obras Medicas De Pedro Hispano. University Press, Coimbra
- Alighieri, D. (1986) Paradiso. Trans by Mandelbaum A. Bantam, New York
- Schroeder, HJ. (1937) Disciplinary Decrees of the General Councils. Herder, London
- Zambrini, F. (1873) Volgarizzanente del Tratte della Cura degli Occlu di Pietro Spacho. Romagnoli, Bologna
- Berger, AM. (1899) Die Ophthalmologie des Petrus Hispanus. JF Lehmann, München
- Berger, AM, Auracher, TM. (1884) Des Benvenutus Grapheus Practica Oculorum. Beitrag zur Geschichte der Augenheilkunde. J. Lindauer, München
- Berger, AM (1897) Der vonMichel Angelo Buonarroti eigen händig geschriebene Augentracht. Knorr u. Hirth, München
- Munich, Bayerische Staatsbibliothek, MS CLM 381, f. 78v–88r, 14C; MS CLM 40, f. 111v–115r, 14C; MS CLM 438, f. 108r–118v, 14C; MS CLM 161, f. 55v–56v, 13C; MS CGM f. 61r–62v, 15C.
- Vienna, Österr. Nat. Bibl, MS, f. 55r–64r. 14C.
- Graz, Universitätsbibl. MS II 594, fols 96r–105r. 15 C.
- Siraisi, NG. (1990) An Introduction to Knowledge and Practice. Medieval and Early Renaissance Medicine. Chicago, University of Chicago Press, pp. 86-96
- Tester J. A History of Western Astrology. Woodbridge, 1987: 180–90.
- Lambrichis H. Empedocles.Birmingham: University of Alabama Press, 1976: 76–7.
- Myerhoff, M. (1928) Ascribed to Hunain Ibn Is-Haq.. The Book of the Ten Treatises on The Eye. Government Press, Cairo, pp. 1-54
- Archer-Hind RD. The Timaeus of Plato. London: MacMillan, 1888: 155–8.
- Copleston F. A History ofMedieval Philosophy. Notre Dame: University of Notre Dame, 1972: 210.
- The Surgery of Theodoric. Trans by Campbell E and Colton J. New York: Appleton, 1955, vol. 2: 18–22.
- Wood, C. (1929) Benevenutus Grassus of Jerusalem. De Oculi. Stanford University Press, London, pp. 73-5
- Celsus, De Medicina. Trans by Spencer WG. Cambridge: Harvard, 1953, vol. 2: 335–7.
- Wood, C. (1936) Memorandum Book of a Tenth-Century Oculist. Northwestern University, Chicago
- Meyerhoff, M. (1928) Ascribed to Hunain Ibn Is-Haq. The Book of the Ten Treatises on the Eye. Government Press, Cairopp. 62
- Daly, WJ, Brater, DC. (2000) Medieval contributions to the search for truth in clinical medicine. Perspectives in Biology and Medicine 43: pp. 530-9
- The Eye Book of Master Peter of Spain – a glimpse of diagnosis and treatment of eye disease in the Middle Ages
Volume 103, Issue 2 , pp 119-153
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- history of medicine
- medieval medicine
- Peter Hispanus
- Pope John XXI
- thirteenth century
- Industry Sectors