Piezoelectric and Magnetoelectric Properties of Lead Zirconate Titanate/Ni-Ferrite Particulate Composites
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Piezoelectric and magnetoelectric properties of magnetoelectric particulate composites with Lead Zirconate Titanate (PZT) and Ni-ferrite were investigated. The maximum magnetoelectric voltage coefficient, (dE/dH)max, increased with higher sintering temperature up to 1250°C. Composites sintered at 1300°C, had dissolution of Fe ions into PZT, or interdiffusion between PZT and ferrite. Connectivity of the ferrite particles and sintering temperature were important factors for fabrication of this particulate composite. The composite added with 20 wt.% amount of Ni-ferrite, sintered at 1250°C for 2 hours, had the highest magnetoelectric voltage coefficient of 115 mV/cm · Oe at room temperature. This value is comparable to that of the BaTiO3-CoFe2O4 based composites reported by Philips laboratory, and is 44% higher than other magnetoelectric particulate composites.
- K. Uchino, in Comprehensive Composite Materials: Piezoelectric Composites (Elsevier, Amsterdam, The Netherlands, 2000), Vol. 5, chap. 5.24, p. 523.
- T.H. O'Dell, Electronics and Power, 11, 266 (1965).
- J. Van Suchetelene, Philips Research Report, 27, 28 (1972).
- J. van den Boomgaard, D.R. Terrell, R.A.J. Born, and H.F.J.I. Giller, J. Mater. Sci., 9, 1705 (1974).
- A.M.J.G. Van Run, D.R. Terrell, and J.H. Scholing, J. Mater. Sci., 9, 1710 (1974).
- J. van den Boomgaard and R.A.J. Born, J. Mater. Sci., 13, 1538 (1978).
- J. van den Boomgaard, A.M.J.G. Van Run, and J. Van Suchtelen, Ferroelectrics, 10, 295 (1976).
- T.G. Lupeiko, S.S. Lopatin, I.V. Lisnevskaya, and B.I. Zvyagintsev, Inorg. Mater., 30, 1353 (1994).
- R.L. Fullman, J. Metals Trans, AIME, 197, 447 (1953).
- J. Ryu, A. Vázquez Carazo, K. Uchino, and H.E. Kim, Jap. J. Appl. Phys., in print.
- R.E. Newnham, Ferroelectrics, 68, 1 (1986).
- J.K. Park and D.Y. Kim, J. Am. Ceram. Soc., 79, 1405 (1996).
- W.D. Kingery and B. Francois, in Sintering and Related Phenomena: The Sintering of Crystalline Oxides, I. Interactions Between Grain Boundaries and Pores, edited by G.C. Kuczynski, N. Hooten, and C. Gibson (Gordon & Breach Science Publishers, New York, 1967), p. 471.
- J. Ryu and J. Lee, The Korean Journal of Ceramics, 3, 199 (1997).
- J.A. Deverin, Ferroelectrics, 19, 9 (1978).
- A. Fouskova and L.E. Cross, J. Appl. Phys., 41, 2834 (1970).
- C.A. Randall, N. Kim, J.-P. Kucera, W. Cao, and T.R. Shrout, J. Am. Ceram. Soc., 81, 677 (1998).
- Piezoelectric and Magnetoelectric Properties of Lead Zirconate Titanate/Ni-Ferrite Particulate Composites
Journal of Electroceramics
Volume 7, Issue 1 , pp 17-24
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. International Center for Actuators and Transducers, Materials Research Laboratory, The Pennsylvania State University, University Park, PA, 16802, USA
- 2. School of Materials Science and Engineering, Seoul National University, Seoul, 151-742, Korea