Environmental Impact of Coal Mining on Water Regime and Its Management
- R. K. Tiwary
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Coal mining is one of the core industries that contribute to the economic development of a country but deteriorate theenvironment. Being the primary source of energy coal has becomeessential to meet the energy demand of a country. It isexcavated by both opencast and underground mining methods andaffects the environment, especially water resources, by discharginghuge amounts of mine water. The mine water may be acidic orneutral depending upon the pyrite content in the coal asinorganic impurities. Acid mine drainage occurs in those mines in which sulphur content is found in the range of 1–5% in the form of Pyrite (FeS2). It degrades the water qualityof the region in terms of lowering the pH of the surrounding water resources and increasing the level of total suspended solids, total dissolved solids and some heavy metals. In non acidic mines, water quality shows high hardness, TSS and bacterial contaminants. The leachate water from overburden dump are found enriched in metal concentration especially Fe, Cu, Mn and Ni except in one of the clayey dumps. High values ofhardness of mine water reduces it's utility in domestic purposes.The article illustrates the quality of acidic and non acidic minewater and leachate characteristics of opencast coal mining OBdumps. Pollutants such as TSS, TDS, oil and grease and heavy metalare found in the coal mining waste effluents. Management ofthese liquid waste at the primary level and secondary level havealso been suggested to control the pollution level at the source.
- Amyot, G. and Vezina, S.: 1997, ‘Flooding as a Reclamation Solution to an Acidic Tailing Pond, the Solbec Case’, Proceedings of the Fourth International Conference on Acid Rock Drainage, Vancouver, B.C., Canada, 31st May–6th June 1997, Vol. II, pp. 681–696.
- Bennet, J. W., Harries, J. R. and Ritchie, I. M.: 1988, ‘Rehabilitation of Waste Rock dumps at Rum–Jungle Mine Site’, USBM, IC 9198, Vol. I, 104–108.
- Clescerial, L. S., Greenberg, A. E. and Eatan, A. D.: 1998, Standard Methods for Examination of Water and Waste Water, 20th ed., APHA, AWWA, Publication, Washington D.C., pp. 3.37–3.38.
- Dhar, B. B.: 1993, ‘Environmental Scenario in Indian Mining Industry’, in Chaudhary and Shiv Kumar (eds.), Environmental Management, Geo Water and Engineering Aspects, Balkema Rotterdam, pp. 615–619.
- Hockley, D., Paul, M., Chapman, J., Jahn, S. and Weise, W.: 1997, ‘Relocation of waste rock to the Lichtenberg pit near Ronneburg, Germany’, Proceedings of the Fourth International Conference on Acid Rock Drainage, Vancouver, B.C. Canada, 31st May–6th June 1997, Vol. III, pp. 1267–1283.
- Jakubick, A. T., Gatzweiler, R., Mager, D. and Robertson, A. MacG.: 1997, ‘The Wismut Waste Rock Pile Remediation Program of the Ronneburg Mining District, Germany’, Proceedings of the Fourth International Conference on Acid Rock Drainage, Vancouver, B. C. Canada, 31st May–6th June 1997, Vol. III, pp. 1285–1301.
- Kleinmann, R. L. P., Crerar, D. A. and Pacelli, R. R.: 1981, J. of Mining Engg. 33, 300.
- Rawat, N. S.: 1982, ‘Sulfur Occurrences in Coal and Its Relationship to Acid Formation’, J. of Metal and Minerals, Sept. XXI, 10.
- Singer, P. C. and Stumm, W.: 1970, Science 167, 12–34.
- Sobolewski, A.: 1998, J. of Mining Environmental Management, July, pp. 21.
- Tiwary, R. K. and Dhar, B. B.: 1994, Mine Water and Environment 13, 1.
- Tiwary, R. K., Dhar, B. B. and Jamal, A.: 1997, ‘Acid Mine Drainage Occurrences and Its Control in Indian Coal Mines’, in Dhar and Bhaumik (eds.), Proceedings of the 27th International Conference of Safety in Mines Research Institute, New Delhi, India, February 1997, pp. 1253–1259.
- Tiwary, R. K. and Dhar, B. B.: 1994, International J. of Surface Mining, Reclamation and Environment 8, 111.
- Thakur, D. N., Tewary, B. K., Kumar, B. and Singh, R. K.: 1992, ‘Reclamation of Pyritic Dumps using Phosphatic Wastes as an Ameliorant: A Case Study’, in R. K. Singhal (ed.), Environmental Issues and Waste Management in Energy and Minerals Production, Balkema Rotterdam, ISBN 9054100796, pp. 831–846.
- Environmental Impact of Coal Mining on Water Regime and Its Management
Water, Air, and Soil Pollution
Volume 132, Issue 1-2 , pp 185-199
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- acid mine drainage
- coal mining
- environmental impact
- leachate characteristics
- water quality
- Industry Sectors
- R. K. Tiwary (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Central Mining Research Institute, Barwa Road, Dhanbad, Bihar, India