A Quinean Definition Of Synonymy
- Peter Pagin
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The main purpose of this paper is to propose and defend anew definition of synonymy. Roughly (and slightly misleadingly), theidea is that two expressions are synonymous iff intersubstitutions insentences preserve the degree of doxastic revisability. In Section 1 Iargue that Quine's attacks on analyticity leave room for such adefinition. The definition is presented in Section 2, and Section 3elaborates on the concept of revisability. The definition is defendedin Sections 4 and 5. It is, inter alia, shown that the definition hasdesired formal properties. In Sections 6 and 7 I briefly comment on,first, the relation of the definition to Quine's later ideas about (stimulus)synonymy, and, second, its relation to a general, interlinguistic, conceptof meaning.
- Boghossian, P. A. Analyticity. In: Hale, B., Wright, C. eds. (1997) A Companion to the Philosophy of Language. Blackwell, Oxford
- Burge, T. (1978) Belief andSynonymy. Journal of Philosophy 75: pp. 119-138
- Burge, T. (1992) Philosophy of Language and Mind 1950–1990. The Philosophical Review 101: pp. 3-51
- Carnap, R. (1956) Meaning and Necessity. The University of Chicago Press, Chicago
- Fodor, J. (1998) Concepts. Where Cognitive ScienceWentWrong. Clarendon Press, Oxford
- Hansson, S. O. (1999) A Survey of Non-Prioritized Belief Revision. Erkenntnis 50: pp. 413-427
- Putnam, H. The Analytic and the Synthetic. In: Feigl, H., Maxwell, G. eds. (1962) Minnesota Studies in the Philosophy of Science. University of Minnesota Press, Minneapolis
- Quine, W. V. O. (1951) Two Dogmas of Empiricism. The Philosophical Review. Harvard University Press, Cambridge, Mass. 1980
- Quine, W. V. O. (1960) Word and Object. MIT Press, Cambridge, MA.
- Quine, W. V. O.: 1960a, ‘Carnap and LogicalTruth’, Synthese 12, 1960. Reprinted in The Ways of Paradox and Other Essays, revised edn, Harvard University Press, Cambridge, MA. 1976. Page references to the reprint.
- Quine, W. V. O. (1992) Pursuit of Truth. Harvard University Press, Cambridge, MA.
- Quine, W. V. (1995) From Stimulus to Science. Harvard University Press, Cambridge, MA.
- A Quinean Definition Of Synonymy
Volume 55, Issue 1 , pp 7-32
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Peter Pagin (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Philosophy, Stockholm University, 10691, Stockholm, Sweden