Regulation of the production of polygalacturonase by Aspergillus terreus
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The synthesis of polygalacturonase (PG) (EC 126.96.36.199) by a strain of Aspergillus terreus was induced by polygalacturonic acid and repressed by glucose, galactose or fructose even in the presence of the inducer. The production of PG increased when the mycelium was washed free of glucose and incubated in a glucose-free medium containing the inducer, a fact that indicated the reversibility of the repression mechanism. When Actinomycin D and cycloheximide were added to the culture medium, the synthesis of PG ceased. PG synthesis increased 43% with the addition of methionine and 64% both with leucine and with tyrosine. Specific productivity with leucine was 210% higher than that of the control as against 149% with methionine and 70% with tyrosine. The results obtained suggest that PG synthesis is regulated by leucine.
- Aguilar, G. & Huitron, C. 1990 Constitutive exopectinase produced by Aspergillus sp. CH-Y-10Y3 on different carbon sources. Biotechnology Letters 12, 655–660.
- Aguilar, G., Trejo, B., Garcia, M. & Huitron, C. 1991 Influence of pH on endo-and exo-pectinase production by Aspergillus sp. CH-Y-10Y3. Canadian Journal of Microbiology 37, 912–917.
- Astapovich, N.I. & Rozhkova, Z.A. 1983 Vistsi Akademu Navuk BSSR, Seryya Biyalagich mykh Navuk, 49. Chemical Abstracts 98 , 122594 n.
- Blanco, P., Sieiro, c., Diaz, A. & Villa, T.G. 1994 Production and partial characterization of an endopolygalacturonase from Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Canadian Journal of Microbiology 40, 974–977.
- Bussink, H.J.D., Kester, H.C.M. & Visser, J. 1990 Molecular cloning, nucleotide sequence and expression of the gene encoding prepo polyglacturonase II of Aspergillus niger. FEBS Letters 273, 127–130.
- Bussink, H.J.D., Buxton, F.P. & Visser, J. 1991a Expression and sequence comparison of the Aspergillus niger and Aspergillus tubigensis genes encoding polygalacturonase II. Current Genetics 19, 467–474.
- Bussink, H.J.D., Brouwer, K.B., Graaf, L. de, Kester, H.C.M. & Visser, J. 1991b Identification and characterization of a second polygalacturonase gene of Aspergillus niger. Current Genetics 20 , 302–307.
- Chopra, S. & Metha, P. 1985 Influence of various nitrogen and carbon sources on the production of pectolytic, cellulolytic and proteolytic enzymes by Aspergillus niger. Folia Microbiologica 30, 117–125.
- Gysler, c., Harmsen, J.A.M., Kester, H.C.M., Visser, J. & Heim, J. 1990 Isolation and structure of the pectin lyase D-encoding gene from Aspergillus niger. Gene 89, 101–108.
- Harmser, J.A.M., Kusters-van Someren, M.A. & Visser, J. 1990 Cloning and expression of a second Aspergillus niger pectin lyase gene (pel A): indications of a pectin lyase gene family in Aspergillus niger. Current Genetics 18, 161–166.
- Hornewer, A., Nguyen-The, J. & Souty, N. 1987 Purification d'une polygalacturonase de Rhizopus stolonifer. Sciences des Aliments 7 , 361–379.
- Khanh, N.Q., Albrecht, H., Ruttkowski, E., Lofller, F., Gottschalk, M. & Jany, K.D. 1990 Nucleotide sequence and derived aminoacid sequence of a pectinesterase DNA isolated from Aspergillus niger strain BH5344. Nucleic Acids Research 18, 4262.
- Laemmli, V.K. 1970 Cleavage of the structural proteins during the assemly of the head of bacteriophage T4. Nature (London) 227 , 680–685.
- Leone, G. & Van Den Heuvel, J. 1986 Regulation by carbohydrate of the sequential in vitro production of pectin enzymes by Botrytis cinerea. Canadian Journal of Botany 65, 2133–2141.
- Maldonado, M.C., Strasser de Saad, A.M. & Callieri, D.A.S. 1989a Regulatory aspects of synthesis of polygalacturonase and pectinesterase by Aspergillus niger sp. Sciences des Aliments 9, 101–110.
- Maldonado, M.C., Strasser de Saad, A.M. & Callieri, D.A.S. 1989b Catabolite repression of the synthesis of inducible polygalacturonase and pectinesterase by Aspergillus niger. Current Microbiology 18, 303–306.
- Miller, G.L. 1959 Use of dinitrosalicylic acid reagent for determination of reducing sugar. Analytical Chemistry 31, 426–428.
- Oakley, B.R., Kirsch, D.R. & Morris, N.R. 1980 A simplified ultra sensitive silver stain for detecting proteins in polyacrylamide gels. Analytical Biochemistry 105, 361–363.
- Ried, J.L. & Collmer, A. 1985 Activity stain for rapid characterization of pectic enzymes in isoelectric focusing and sodium dodecyl sulphate-polyacrylamide gels. Applied and Environmental Microbiology 50, 615–622.
- Regulation of the production of polygalacturonase by Aspergillus terreus
World Journal of Microbiology and Biotechnology
Volume 17, Issue 5 , pp 487-491
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Aspergillus terreus
- polygalacturonic acid
- Industry Sectors