The Tsunami of August 17, 1999 in Izmit Bay, Turkey
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The Kocaeli 1999 Earthquake with an Mw = 7.4 caused major hazards throughout the NW of Turkey from Tekirdag to Bolu. Historical data indicates that some of the earthquakes around Izmit Bay have caused tsunamis. In this study, tsunami research for the Kocaeli 1999 Earthquake has been made also taking into consideration historical data. In this research more than about 70 data at 35 localities have been used to determine the tsunami evidences in the bay. Coastal observations indicated runups which were ranging from 1 to 2.5 m along the shores. However, the wave runups are more complex along the south coast due to the presence of coastal landslides (Değirmendere, Halidere, Ulasli, Karamürsel) and subsided areas (Kavakli to Yeniköy) along the shore. West of Yalova, evidence of tsunami rapidly diminished. In addition, possible tectonic mechanism has been determined by using 33 single-channel high-resolution digital seismic reflection profiles which were acquired following the Kocaeli 1999 Earthquake. As a result it has been determined that the Kocaeli Earthquake has created tsunami in Izmit Bay.
- Alpar, B., Yaltırak, C., and Akkargan, Ş.: 1999, North Anatolian fault zone and the effects of 17 August 1999 earthquake on the recent sediments in Izmit Bay and eastern Marmara Sea, Active Tectonic Study Group Symposium, 4–6 Nov. 1999, Cumhuriyet University, Sivas, pp. 23–30.
- Alpar, B. and Yaltırak, C.: 2000. Morphologic and tectonic features of the Çinarcık Basin, First National Marine Congress, 30 May–2 June 2000, Middle East Technical University, Ankara, pp. 58–59.
- Altınok, Y.: 1999, Tsunamis along the coasts of the Black Sea, Second Geophysical Congress and Exhibition, Book of Abstracts, July 5–9, 1999 Istanbul, pp. 46–47.
- Altınok, Y., Alpar, B., Ersoy, Ş., and Yalçıner, A. C.: 1999, Tsunami generation of the Kocaeli Earthquake (August 17th 1999) in Izmit Bay: coastal observations, bathymetry and seismic data, Turkish J. Mar. Sci. 5, 131–148.
- Altınok, Y. and Ersoy, ¸S.: 2000, Tsunamis observed on and near the Turkish coast, Natural Hazards 21(2–3), 185–205.
- Barka, A. A. and Kadinsky-Cade, K.: 1988, Strike-flip fault geometry in Turkey and its influence on earthquake activity, Tectonics 7, 663–684.
- Barka, A. A.: 1992, The North Anatolian fault zone, Annales Tectonicae, Special Issue to Volume 6, 164–195.
- Barka, A. A. and Kuşçu, I.: 1996, Extends of the North Anatolian Fault in Izmit, Gemlik and Bandırma Bays, Turkish J. Mar. Sci. 2, 93–106.
- Crampin, S. and Evans, R.: 1986, Neotectonics of the Marmara Sea region of Turkey, J. Geol. Soc. 143, 343–348.
- Emre, Ö., Taymaz, T., Duman, T. Y., and Dogan, A.: 2000, ‘1999 Gölcük ve Düzce’ depremlerinin yüzey kırıkları ve sismolojik özellikleri. Bilim Teknik 386, 38–42.
- Ergin, M. and Yörük, R.: Distribution and texture of the bottom sediments in semi-closed coastal inlet, Izmit Bay from the Eastern Sea of Marmara (Turkey), Est., Coast. Shelf Sci. 30, 647–654.
- Ergin, M. and Bodur,M. N.: 1999, Silt/clay fractionation in surficialMarmara sediments: implication for water movement and sediment transport paths in a semi-enclosed and two-layered flow system (northeastern Mediterranean Sea), Geo-Mar. Lett. 18, 225–233.
- Evans, G., Erten, H., Alavi, S. N., Von Guntel, H. R., and Ergin, M.: 1989, Superficial deep-water sediments of the eastern Marmara Basin, Geo-Mar. Lett. 9, 27–36.
- Güneysu, A. C.: 1999, Batimetry map of Izmit Bay, Turkish J. Mar. Sci. 5, 167–170.
- Kuran, U. and Yalçıner, A. C.: 1993, Crack propagations, earthquakes and tsunamis in the vicinity of Anatolia, in S. Tinti (ed.), Tsunamis in the World, Kluwer Academic Publishers, pp. 159–175.
- Le Pichon X., Taymaz, T., and Şengör, A.M. C.: 2000, Important problems to be solved in the Sea of Marmara, NATO Advanced Research Workshop, 14–16 May 2000, Istanbul, Turkey, pp. 66–67.
- Özhan, G., Kavukçu, S., Çete, M., Kurtuluş, C.: 1985, Marmara Denizi, Izmit Körfezinin Yüksek Ayrımlı Sı \(g \vee\) Sismik Raporu, Tech. Report 73, 12 p, MTA, Ankara.
- Sakinç, M. and Bargu, S.: 1989, Izmit Körfezi güeyindeki Geç Pleyistosen (Tireniyen) çökel stratigrafisi ve bölgenin neotektonik özellikleri, Türkiye Jeoloji Bülteni 32, 51–64.
- Soysal, H.: 1985, Tsunami (deniz tasması) ve Türkiye kıyılarını etkileyen tsunamiler, i.ü., Deniz Bilimleri ve Cografya Enstitüsu Bülteni 2, 59–67.
- Şaro \(g \vee\) lu, F., Emre, Ö, and Kuşçu, I.: 1992, Active Fault Maps of Turkey, 3 sheets in scale: 1/1.000.000: MTA, Ankara, later published in Bilim ve Teknik, October 1999.
- Seymen, I.: 1995, Izmit Körfezi ve çevresinin jeolojisi, in E. Meriç (ed.), Izmit Körfezi Kuvaterner Istifi, pp. 1–21.
- Yalçıner, A. C., Synolakis, C. E., Borrero, J. Altınok, Y., Watts, P., Imamura, F., Kuran, U., Ersoy, Ş¸ S, Kano \(g \vee\) lu, U., and Tinti, S.: 1999, Tsunami generation in Izmit Bay by 1999 Izmit earthquake, Proceedings of International Conference on Kocaeli Earthquake, ITU, Dec. 2–5, 1999, Istanbul, pp. 217–221.
- Yaltirak, C., Alpar, B., Sakinç, M., and Yüce, H.: 2000, Origin of the Strait of Candkkale (Dardanelles): regional tectonics and the Mediterranean-Marmara incursion, Marine Geology 164, 139–156.
- The Tsunami of August 17, 1999 in Izmit Bay, Turkey
Volume 24, Issue 2 , pp 133-146
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Izmit Bay
- Marmara Sea
- Coastal Landslides
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Engineering Faculty, University of Istanbul, Turkey
- 2. Department of Physics, University of Bologna, Italy
- 3. Institute of Marine Sciences and Management, University of Istanbul, Turkey
- 4. Department of Civil Engineering, Middle East Technical University, Ankara, Turkey
- 5. DIP.TE.RIS, University of Genova, Italy