Adsorption Equilibrium and Dynamics of Methyl Iodide in a Silver Ion-Exchanged Zeolite Column at High Temperatures
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
An extensive evaluation was carried out to determine the optimal silver ion-exchanged level for the removal of methyl iodide at high temperatures up to 400°C. Based on the degree of silver utilization, the optimal silver loading and temperature were about 10 wt% and 175°C, respectively. The physical and chemical properties of silver ion-exchanged zeolite were characterized by instrumental analysis such as BET, TG/DTA and SEM-EDS. Adsorption dynamics was also studied at different temperatures, and methyl iodide concentrations. A simple dynamic model was formulated by employing the linear driving force (LDF) approximation inside adsorbent particles, and the nonisothermal Langmuir-Freundlich equation. The model equations were solved numerically by an orthogonal collocation method. The proposed dynamic model satisfactorily simulated the experimental breakthrough results.
- Bird, R.B., W.E. Stewart, and E.N. Lightfoot, Transport Phenomena, Wiley, New York, 1960.
- Reid, R.C., J.M. Prausnitz, and B.E. Poling, The Properties of Gases and Liquids, McGraw-Hill, New York, 1986.
- Choi, B.S. and G.I. Park, “A Study on the Removal of Radioiodine on Silver-Exchanged Adsorbents,” in Proc. of the KNS Autumn Meeting, 311–316 (1997).
- Deitz, V.R. and L.A. Jonas, “Catalytic Trapping of Methyl Iodide by Beds of Impregnated Charcoal,” Nuclear Technology, 37, 59–64 (1978).
- Edwards, M.F. and J.F. Richardson, “Gas Dispersion in Packed Beds,” Chem. Eng. Sci., 23, 109–115 (1968).
- Finlayson, B.A., The Method of Weighted Residuals and Variational Principles, Academic Press, New York, 1972.
- Funabashi, K., T. Fukasawa, and M. Kikuchi, “Investigation of Silver-Impregnated Alumina for Removal of Radioactive Methyl Iodide,” Nuclear Technology, 109, 366–372 (1995).
- Jubin, R.T., “The Mass Transfer Dynamics of Gaseous Methyl Iodide Adsorption by Silver-Exchanged Modernite,” Ph.D. Thesis, The University of Tennessee, Knoxville, USA, 1994.
- Kovach, J.L., “The Environment and Current States of Radioiodine Control”, in Proc, 16th Nuclear Air Cleaning Conf., San Diego, California, October 20–23, 1980, CONF-801038, U.S. Department of Energy, 417–428 (1981).
- Li, A. and M.F. Stephanopoulos, “Selective Catalytic Reduction of Nitric Oxide by Methane over Cerium and Silver Ion-Exchanged ZSM-5 Zeolite,” Applied Catalysis A, 165, 15–34 (1997).
- Liu, C.J., R. Mallinson, and L. Loggan, “Comparative Investigation on Plasma Catalytic Methane Conversion to Higher Hydrocarbons over Zeolite,” Applied Catalysis, General, 178, 17–27 (1999).
- Malek, A. and S. Farooq, “Comparison of Isotherm Models for Hydrocarbon Adsorption on Activated Carbon,” AIChE J., 42(11), 3191–3201 (1996).
- Marin, F.C., M.D. Garcia, I.F. Morales, and F.J.L. Garzon, “Dynamics Adsorption of Methyl Iodide on Activated Carbon,” Carbon, 29, 629–634 (1991).
- Modolo, G. and R. Odoj, “Investigation on the Partitioning of I from Silver-impregnated Silica in Preparation for Further Transmutation,” Nuclear Technology, 117, 80–86 (1997).
- Pence, D.T. and B.A. Staples, “Solid Adsorbents for Collection and Storage of Idoine-129 from Reprocessing Plants,” in Proc. 13th AEC Air Cleaning Conf., CONF-740807, 758-764 (1974).
- Raghavan, N.S. and D.M. Ruthven, “Numerical Simulation of a Fixed Bed Adsorption column by the Method of Orthogonal Collocation,” AIChE J., 29(6), 922–928 (1983).
- Ruthven, D.M., S. Farooq, and K.S. Knaebel, Pressure Swing Adsorption, VCH, New York, 1994.
- Ruthven, D.M., Principles of Adsorption and Adsorption Process, Wiley, New York, 1984.
- Thomas, T.R., B.A. Staples, L.P. Murphy, and J.T. Nichols, “Airborne Elemental Iodine Loading Capacities of metal Zeolites and a Dry Method for Recycling Silver Zeolite,” in Proc. 14th ERDA Air Cleaning Conference, CONF-760822, 363-380 (1997).
- Villadsen, J. and M.L. Michelsen, Solution of Differential Equation Methods by Polynomial Approximation, Prentice-Hall, Englewood Cliffs, 1978.
- Wren, J.C., C.J. Moore, and M.T. Rasmussen, “Methyl Iodide Trapping Efficiency of Aged Charcoal Samples from Bruce-A Emergency Filtered Air Discharge Systems,” Nuclear Technology, 125, 28–39 (1999).
- Yagi, S., D. Kunii, and N.Wakao, “Studies on Axial Effective Thermal Conductivities in Packed Beds,” AIChE J., 6(4), 543–548 (1960).
- Yang. R.T., Gas Separation by Adsorption Processes, Butterworths, Boston, 1987.
- Adsorption Equilibrium and Dynamics of Methyl Iodide in a Silver Ion-Exchanged Zeolite Column at High Temperatures
Volume 7, Issue 2 , pp 91-103
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- high temperature
- methyl iodide
- silver ion-exchanged zeolite
- adsorption equilibrium
- dynamic model
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Korea Atomic Energy Research Institute, Yusung, P.O. Box, 105, Taejon, Korea
- 2. Department of Chemical Engineering, Seonam University, Namwon, 590-711, Korea
- 3. Department of Chemical Engineering, Chungnam National University, Taejon, 305-704, Korea