Hepatocyte-specific porous polymer-scaffolds of alginate/galactosylated chitosan sponge for liver-tissue engineering
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Porous scaffolds of alginate/galactosylated chitosan (ALG/GC) sponges were prepared by lyophilization for liver-tissue engineering. Primary hepatocytes in ALG/GC sponges showed higher cell attachment and viability than in alginate alone owing to the specific interaction of the asialoglycoprotein receptors on hepatocyte with the galactose residues on ALG/GC sponges. Improvements in spheroid formation and long-term liver-specific functions of the immobilized hepatocyte were also observed in ALG/GC sponge.
- Ben-Ze'ev AG,Robinson AG,Bucher S,Farmer SR (1988) Cellcell and cell-matrix interactions differentially regulate the expression of hepatic and cytoskeletal genes in primary cultures of ret hepatocytes. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 85: 1-6.
- Glicklis R,Shapiro L,Agbaria R,Merchuk JC,Cohen S (2000) Hepatocyte behavior within three-dimensional porous alginate scaffolds. Biotechnol. Bioeng. 67: 344-353.
- Gutsche AT,Lo H,Zurlo J,Yager J,Leong KM (1996) Engineering of a sugar-derivatized porous network for hepatocyte culture. Biomaterials 17: 387-393.
- Ise H,Takashima S,Nagaoka M,Ferdous A,Akaike T (1999) Analysis of cell viability and differential activity of mouse hepatocytes under 3D and 2D culture in agarose gel. Biotechnol. Lett. 21: 209-213.
- Lee YC,Lee RT (1994) Neoglycoconjugates: Preparation and Application. San Diego: Academic Press.
- Mooney DJ,Hanse L,Vacanti J,Langer R,Farmer S,Ingber D (1992) Switching from differentiation to growth in hepatocytes: control by extracellular matrix. J. Cell Phys. 151: 497-505.
- Morita M,Watanabe Y,Akaike T (1995) Protective effect of hepatocyte growth factor on interferon-gamma-induced cytotoxicity in mouse hepatocytes. Hepatology 21: 1585-1593.
- Putnam AJ,Mooney DJ (1996) Tissue engineering using synthetic extracellular matrices. Nature Med. 2: 824-826.
- Semler EJ,Ranucci CS,Moghe PV (2000) Mechanochemical manipulation of hepatocyte aggregation can selectively induce or repress liver-specific function. Biotechnol. Bioeng. 69: 359-369.
- Yang J,Goto M,Ise H,Cho CS,Akaike T (2001) Galactosylated alginate as a scaffold for hepatocytes entrapment. Biomaterials ( in press).
- Hepatocyte-specific porous polymer-scaffolds of alginate/galactosylated chitosan sponge for liver-tissue engineering
Volume 23, Issue 17 , pp 1385-1389
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- galactosylated chitosan
- liver-tissue engineering
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Biomolecular Engineering, Tokyo Institute of Technology, 4259 Nagatsuta-cho, Midori-ku, Yokohama, 226-8501, Japan
- 2. Bio Quest Research Co. Ltd., Tokyo, 150-0043, Japan
- 3. School of Agricultural Biotechnology, Seoul National University, Suwon, 441-744, Korea