Distributive Justice and Clinical Trials in the Third World
- Solomon R. Benatar
- … show all 1 hide
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
- Benatar SR. Imperialism, research ethics and global health. Journal of Medical Ethics 1998; 24: 221–22. Fairchild A L, Bayer R. Uses and abuses of Tuskegee. Science 1999; 284: 919–21.
- Benatar SR. Just healthcare beyond individualism: challenges for North American bioethics. Cambridge Quarterly of Healthcare Ethics 1997; 6: 397–415.
- Iglehart J. American health services: expenditure. New England Journal of Medicine 1999; 340: 70–76.
- Bloom B. The future of public health. Nature 1999; 402: Supp C63–C64.
- Investing in health research and development. Report of the ad hoc committee on health research relating to future intervention options, Geneva: WHO, 1996.
- World Health Report: fighting disease, fostering development. Geneva: WHO, 1996.
- Building a world community: globalisation and the common good. Danish Foreign Ministry, 2000. Falk R. Predatory Globalisation: a critique. Polity Press Cambridge, 1999. Alexander T. Unravelling global apartheid: an overview of world politics. Polity Press Cambridge UK, 1996. Benatar S R. Global disparities in health and human rights: a critical commentary. American Journal of Public Health 1998; 88: 295–300.
- Lee K and Zwi AB et al. A global political economy approach to AIDS: ideology, interests and implications. New Political Economy 1996; 1: 355–373. McNeil W H. Plagues and peoples. Anchor Books. New York, 1998.
- Benatar SR. Prospects for global health: lessons from tuberculosis. Thorax 1995; 50: 489–91.
- McNeil WH. Plague and peoples. Anchor Books. New York, 1998.
- Benatar SR and Singer PA et al. A new look at international research ethics. BritMed J. 2000; 321: 824–26.
- Pilling D. Winning the drugs war. Financial Times, 13 April 1999. Angell M. The pharmaceutical industry – to whom is it accountable? New England Journal of Medicine 2000; 352: 1902–1904.
- Chetley A. A health business? world health and the pharmaceutical industry. Zed Books. London, 1990.
- Gardels N. The post-Atlantic capitalist order. New Perspectives Quarterly Spring; 1993: 2–3.
- Geneva: WHO, 1999, see note 3.
- Marshall PA. Final Report: the relevance of culture for informed consent in US funded international health research. Consultation Report: President's National Bioethics Advisory Commission. Marshall P A. CIOMS Report: Cultural influences on communication and the protection of confidentiality: informed consent in international health research.
- Daugherty CK, Kiolbasa TA and Siegler M et al. Informed consent in clinical research: a study of cancer patient understanding of consent forms and alternatives of care in phase 1 clinical trials. Proceedings of the Annual Meeting of the American Society of Clinical Oncology 16, 1997, A188. Daugherty CK, Ratian M J and Gowchowski E et al. Perceptions of cancer patients and their physicians involved in phase 1 trials. J. Clin. Oncology 1195; 13(5): 1062–72. Grunder TM. On the readability of surgical consent. N. Engl. J. Med. 1980; 302: 900–902. LoVerde ME, Prochazka AV and Byyny RL et al. Research consent forms: continued unreadability and increasing length. J. General Internal Medicine 1989; 4(5): 41–12.
- Kass NE, Sugarman J and Faden R et al. Trust: the fragile foundation of contemporary biomedical research. Hastings Centre Report 1996; 26(5): 25–29.
- Kahn JP, Mastroianni AC & Sugarman J (Eds). Beyond consent: seeking justice in research. Oxford University Press. New York, 1998.
- Violence in research. Bebe Loff. Lancet 2000; 355: 1806.
- Distributive Justice and Clinical Trials in the Third World
Theoretical Medicine and Bioethics
Volume 22, Issue 3 , pp 169-176
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Solomon R. Benatar (1) (2)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Faculty of Health Sciences, University of Cape Town and Groote Schuur Hospital, Observatory, 7925, Western Cape, South Africa
- 2. Department of Public Health Sciences and Medicine, Joint Centre for Bioethics, University of Toronto, 88 College Street, Toronto, Ontario, Canada, M5G 1L4