A Heuristic Approach for Antenna Positioning in Cellular Networks
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
The antenna-positioning problem concerns finding a set of sites for antennas from a set of pre-defined candidate sites, and for each selected site, to determine the number and types of antennas, as well as the associated values for each of the antenna parameters. All these choices must satisfy a set of imperative constraints and optimize a set of objectives. This paper presents a heuristic approach for tackling this complex and highly combinatorial problem. The proposed approach is composed of three phases: a constraint-based pre-processing phase to filter out bad configurations, an optimization phase using tabu search, and a post-optimization phase to improve solutions given by tabu search. To validate the approach, computational results are presented using large and realistic data sets.
- Ballard, D.H. and C.M. Brown. (1982). Computer Vision. Englewood Cliffs, NJ: Prentice Hall.
- Box, F. (1978). “A Heuristic Technique for Assigning Frequency to Mobile Radio Nets.” IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology 27(2), 57–64.
- Calégari, P., F. Guidec, P. Kuonen, B. Chamaret, S. Ubéda, S. Josselin, D. Agner, and M. Pizarosso. (1996). “Radio Network Planning with Combinatorial Optimisation Algorithms.” ACTS Mobile Communications May, 707–713.
- Crompton, W., S. Hurley, and N.M. Stephen. (1994). “A Parallel Genetic Algorithm for Frequency Assignment Problems.” In Proc. of IMACS SPRANN'94, pp. 81–84.
- Duque-Anton, M., D. Kunz, and B. Ruber. (1993). “Channel Assignment for Cellular Radio Using Simulated Annealing.” IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology 42, 14–21.
- Fortune, S.J., D.M. Gay, B.W. Kernighan, O. Landron, R.A. Valenzuela, and M.H. Wright. (1995). “WISE Design 0of Indoor Wireless Systems: Practical Computation and Optimization.” IEEE Computational Science & Engineering, Spring 1995, pp. 58–68.
- Funabiki, N. and Y. Takefuji. (1992). “A Neural Network Parallel Algorithm for Channel Assignment Problems in Cellular Radio Network.” IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology 41, 430–437.
- Glover, F. and M. Laguna. (1997). Tabu Search. Dordrecht, The Netherlands: Kluwer Academic Publishers.
- Hao, J.K. and R. Dorne. (1995). “Study of Genetic Search for the Frequency Assignment Problem.” Lecture Notes in Computer Science. Artificial Evolution 95, Berlin: Springer-Verlag, Vol. 1063, pp. 333–344.
- Hao, J.K., R. Dorne, and P. Galinier. (1998). “Tabu Search for Frequency Assignment in Mobile Radio Networks.” Journal of Heuristics 4(1), 47–62.
- Hurley, S., S.U. Thiel, and D.H. Smith. (1996). “A Comparison of Local Search Algorithms for Radio Link Frequency Assignment Problems.” In Proc. of ACMSymposium on Applied Computing, Philadelphia, pp. 251–257.
- Jaumard, B., O. Marcotte, C. Meyer, and T. Vovor: “Comparison of Column Generation Models for Channel Assignment in Cellular Networks.” Discrete Applied Mathematics (to appear).
- Lai, W.K. and G. Coghill. (1996). “Channel Assignment Through Evolutionary Optimization.” IEEE Transaction on Vehicular Technology 45(1), 91–95.
- McGeehan, J.P. and H.R. Anderson. (1994). “Optimizing Microcell Base Station Locations Using Simulated Annealing Techniques.” In Proc. of the IEEE Vehicular Technology Conference, pp. 858–862.
- Molina, A., G.E. Athanasiadou, and A.R. Nix. (1999). “The Automatic Location of Base-Stations for Optimised Cellular Coverage:AnewCombinatorial Approach.” IEEEVehicular Technologies Conference, Houston, Spring 1999.
- Reininger, P. (1997). “ARNO Radio Network Optimisation Problem Modelling,” ARNO Deliverable N 1-A 1-Part 1. FT. CNET, July 15, 1997.
- Reininger, P. and A. Caminada. (1998a). “0Model for GSM Radio Network Optimisation.” In 2nd Intl. ACM/IEEE MobicomWorkshop on Discrete Algorithms and Methods for Mobile Computing and Communications (DIALM), Dallas, December 16, 1998.
- Reininger, P. and A. Caminada. (1998b). “Connectivity Management on Mobile Network Design.” In Proc. of the 10th Conference of the European Consortium for Mathematics in Industry, June 1998.
- Sherali, H.D., C.M. Pendyala, and T.S. Rappaport. (1996). “Optimal Location of Transmitters for Micro-Cellular Radio Communication System Design.” IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in Communications 14(4), 662–673.
- A Heuristic Approach for Antenna Positioning in Cellular Networks
Journal of Heuristics
Volume 7, Issue 5 , pp 443-472
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- large scale combinatorial optimization
- tabu search
- radio network planning