Hydroxyapatite particles are capable of inducing osteoclast formation
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Hydroxyapatite (HA) coatings have been used to improve implant fixation by promoting bone formation around the prosthesis. A macrophage response to HA particulates has been noted around loosened HA-coated prostheses. As biomaterial wear particle-associated macrophages are known to be capable of differentiating into osteoclasts that are capable of bone resorption, we examined whether particulate HA could similarly induce macrophage-osteoclast differentiation. HA-associated macrophages were isolated from granulomas, formed by subcutaneous implantation of HA, and co-cultured with UMR 106 osteoblast-like cells in the presence of 1,25-dihydroxyvitamin D3 for up to 14 days on glass coverslips and bone slices. HA-associated macrophage-osteoclast differentiation was evidenced by the formation of numerous multinucleated tartrate resistant acid phosphatase (TRAP)-positive cells which formed lacunar resorption pits on bone slices. Polymethylmethacrylate (PMMA) particle-associated macrophages, isolated from subcutaneous PMMA-containing granulomas, caused significantly more osteoclast formation and bone resorption than HA-associated macrophages. These results indicate that macrophages responding to HA particles are capable of osteoclast differntiation. They also suggest that particles derived from uncemented (HA-coated) implants are likely to induce less osteoclast formation and osteolysis than cemented implants. © 2001 Kluwer Academic Publishers
- P. G. Bullough, E. F. Dicarlo, K. K. Hansraj and M. C. Neves, Orthop. Clin. North. Am. 19 (1988) 611.
- D. W. Lennox, B. W. Schofield, D. F. Mcdonald and L. H. Riley, Clin. Orthop. 225 (1987) 171.
- P. A. Revell, in “Current Trends in Pathology” (Springer-Verlag, Berlin, 1982) p. 137.
- K. J. Kim, H. E. Rubash, S. C. Wilson, J. A. D'antonio and E. J. Mcclain, Clin. Orthop. 287 (1993) 142.
- D. W. Murray and N. Rushton, J. Bone Joint Surg. 72B (1990) 988.
- W. A. Jiranek, M. Machado, M. Jasty, D. Jervevar, H. J. Wolfe and S. R. Goldring, ibid 75A (1993) 863.
- J. M. W. Quinn, C. Joyner, J. T. Triffitt and N. A. Athanasou, ibid 74B (1992) 652.
- A. Sabokbar, Y. Fujikawa, S. D. Neale, D. W. Murray and N. A. Athanasou, Ann. Rheum. Dis. 56 (1997) 414.
- A. Sabokbar, R. Pandey, J. M. W. Quinn and N. A. Athanasou, Arch. Orthop. Trauma. Surg. 184 (1998) 31.
- N. A. Athanasou, J. Bone Joint Surg. 78A (1996) 1096.
- W. L. Jaffe and D. F. Scott, ibid. 78A (1996) 1918.
- K. SØballe, K. Gotfredsen, H. Brockstedt-rasmussen, P. T. Nielsen and K. Rechnagel, Clin. Orthop. 272 (1991) 255.
- R. D. Bloebaum and J. A. Dupont, J. Arthroplasty 8 (1993) 195.
- R. D. Bloebaum, D. Beeks, L. D. Dorr, C. G. Savory, L. A. Dupont and A. A. Hofmann, Clin. Orthop. 298 (1994) 19.
- T. W. Bauer, S. K. Taylor, M. Jiang and S. V. Medendrop, ibid. 298 (1994) 11.
- M. Nagase, D. G. Baker and R. Schumacher Jr, J. Rheumatol. 15 (1988) 1334.
- Y. Harada, J. T. Wang, V. A. Doppalapudi, A. A. Willis, M. Jasty, W. H. Harris, M. Nagase and S. R. Goldring, J. Biomed. Mater. Res. 31 (1996) 19.
- J. S. Sun, F. H. Lin, T. Y. Hung, Y. H. Tsuang, W. H. S. Chang and H. C. Liu, ibid. 45 (1999) 311.
- R. Pandey, J. M. W. Quinn, C. Joyner, D. W. Murray, J. T. Triffitt and N. A. Athanasou, Ann. Rheum. Dis. 55 (1996) 388.
- N. A. Athanasou, J. M. W. Quinn and C. J. Bulstrode, J. Bone Joint Surg. 74B (1992) 57.
- C. Minkin, Calcif. Tissue Int. 34 (1982) 285.
- J. M. Austyn and S. Gordon, Eur. J. Immunol. 11 (1981) 805.
- D. L. Lacey, E. Timms, H. L. Tan, M. J. Kelley, C. R. Dunstan and T. Burgess, Cell 93 (1998) 165.
- J. Glowacki and K. A. Cox, Calcif. Tissue Int. 39 (1986) 97.
- S. C. Marks and T. J. Chambers, J. Bone Min. Res. 6 (1991) 395.
- S. D. Neale, D. R. Haynes, D. W. Howie, D. W. Murray and N. A. Athanasou, J. Arthroplasty (2000) 15(5):654.
- E. J. Evans and E. M. H. Clarke-Smith, Clin. Mater. 7 (1991) 241.
- J. M. Quinn, A. Sabokbar, M. Denne, M. C. Devernejoul, J. O. D. Mcgee and N. A. Athanasou, Calcif. Tissue Int. 60 (1997) 63.
- W. Wang, A. Sabokbar, A. H. R. W. Simpson and N. A. Athanasou, Hip Int. (1999) 9(4):178.
- Hydroxyapatite particles are capable of inducing osteoclast formation
Journal of Materials Science: Materials in Medicine
Volume 12, Issue 8 , pp 659-664
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors