Influences of Heating Condition and Substrate-Surface Roughness on the Characteristics of Sol-Gel-Derived Hydroxyapatite Coatings
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
A prepared transparent HA solution was coated on Ti6Al4V substrates by a spin-coating technique. The crystallization of the sol-gel-derived HA coated on the metallic substrates could be done at relatively low firing temperatures (as low as 600°C). The characteristics of the HA-coated layer were dependent on the surface roughness of substrates and heating conditions such as firing temperature, holding time, heating rate, and atmosphere. The heat treatment at a slow heating rate (<2°C/min.) and a long heating time (>10 hrs) at 600°C in air produced the uniform surface and improved the crystallinity. The HA layer coated on 20 μm grit-blasted substates was more uniform and had fever cracks after firing, compared with that coated on 100 μm grit-blasted rougher substrates.
- L.L. Hench and J. Wilson, An Introduction to Bioceramics (World Scientific Publishing Co., 1993).
- C.Y. Yang, B.C. Wang, E. Chang, and J.D. Wu, J. Mater. Sci.: Mater. Med. 6, 249 (1995).
- J. Weng, X.G. Liu, X.D. Li, and X.D. Zhang, Biomaterials 16, 39 (1995).
- T.T. Li, J.H. Lee, T. Kobaysi, and H. Aoki, J. Mater. Sci.: Mater. Med. 7, 355 (1996).
- H. Dasarathy, C. Riley, H.D. Coble, W.R. Lacefield, and G. Maybee, J. Biomed. Mater. Res. 31, 81 (1996).
- G. Sardin, M. Varela, and J. Morenza, in Hydroxyapatite and Related Materials, edited by P.W. Brown and B. Constantz (CRC Press, 1994), p. 225.
- J.L. Ong, L.A. Harris, L.C. Lucas, W.R. Lacefield, and D. Rigney, J. Am. Ceram. Soc. 74(9), 2301 (1991).
- W. Weng and J.L. Baptista, J. Mater. Sci.: Mater. Med. 9, 159 (1998).
- S.G. Steinemann, P. Christel, A. Meunier, and A.J.C. Lee, in Biological and Biomechanical Performance of Biomaterials (Elsevier Science Publishers, 1968), p. 409.
- K.A. Thomas and S.D. Cook, J. Biomed. Mater. Res. 26(6), 831 (1992).
- J.W. Ha and H.J. Jung, J. Korean Ceram. Soc. 20(1), 55 (1983).
- K.V. DijK, H.G. Schaeken, J.G.C. Wolke, and J.A. Jansen, Biomaterials 17, 405 (1996).
- Y. Cao, J. Weng, J. Chen, J. Feng, Z. Yang, and X. Zhang, Biomaterials 17, 419 (1996).
- J. Koo, S.U. Kim, D.S. Yoon, K. No, and B.S. Bae, J. Mater. Res. 12(3), 812 (1997).
- Influences of Heating Condition and Substrate-Surface Roughness on the Characteristics of Sol-Gel-Derived Hydroxyapatite Coatings
Journal of Sol-Gel Science and Technology
Volume 21, Issue 1-2 , pp 49-54
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- thin film
- surface roughness
- Industry Sectors