The spatial arrangement of tubules in human dentin
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
We applied two-dimensional numerical methods to describe the spatial arrangement of tubules in human dentin. The methods considered were two-point correlation functions, entropy-like measures, and angular distributions between nearest neighbors. The correlation functions were based on Fourier transform methods. The latter two approaches were based on stochastic geometry, and involved developing the Delaunay tessellations of the tubule patterns and their dual Voronoi diagrams. We discovered that for analyzing the distribution of tubules the geometric methods of lattice tessellations were more sensitive to structural order of the tubules than were Fourier-based schemes. Analysis of the data indicated that dentinal tubules are highly ordered in normal dentin. © 2001 Kluwer Academic Publishers
- R. Garberoglio and M. Brannstrom, Arch. Oral Biol. 21 (1976) 355.
- D. H. Pashley, Scan. Microsc. 3 (1989) 161.
- D. H. Pashley, A. Okabe and P. Parham, Endo. Dent. Traumatol. 1 (1985) 176.
- J. H. Kinney, M. Balooch, G. M. Marshall and S. J. Marshall, Arch. Oral Biol. 44 (1999) 813.
- J. H. Kinney, M. Balooch, D. L. Haupt, S. J. Marshall and G. W. Marshall, J. Dent. Res. 74 (1995) 1179.
- J. M. White, H. E. Goodis, S. J. Marshall and G. W. Marshall, J. Dent. Res. 73 (1994) 1560.
- G. W. Marshall, M. Staninec, Y. Torii and S. J. Marshall, Scan. Micros. 3 (1989) 1043.
- J. H. Kinney, M. Balooch, G. W. Marshall and S. J. Marshall, Arch. Oral Biol. 38 (1993) 1003.
- R. Lenz, Geographical Anal. 11 (1979) 374.
- G. P. Chapman, Econ. Geography 46 (1970) 317.
- J. G. Berryman and S. C. Blair, J. Appl. Phys. 60 (1986) 1930.
- P. B. Corson, J. Appl. Phys. 45 (1974) 3171.
- B. N. Boots, Prof. Geographer 27 (1975) 426.
- R. E. Miles, Math. Biosciences 6 (1970) 85.
- K. V. Mardia, R. Edwards and M. L. Puri, Bull. Intern. Statist. Institute 47 (1977) 93.
- B. N. Boots, Geographical Analysis 18 (1986) 250.
- C. E. Shannon and W. Weaver, in “The Mathematical Theory of Communication” (University of Illinois Press, Urbana, 1949).
- A. Okabe, B. N. Boots and K. Sugihara, in “Spatial Tessellations: Concepts and Applications of Voronoi Diagrams” (John Wiley and Sons, Chichester, 1992).
- The spatial arrangement of tubules in human dentin
Journal of Materials Science: Materials in Medicine
Volume 12, Issue 8 , pp 743-751
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Division of Bioengineering and Biomaterials, Department of Preventive and Restorative Dental Sciences, University of California, San Francisco, San Francisco, CA, 94143-0758
- 2. Battelle Pacific Northwest Lab, Richland, WA, 99352
- 3. Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory, Livermore, CA, 94551