Computing Cyclomatic Complexity with Cubic Flowgraphs
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Two new methods for the computation of cyclomatic complexity especially for decomposable representations are introduced. Building software by integration is a developing paradigm, especially enabled by the emerging component technologies. Decomposition of the design for a top-down approach is a prerequisite for this paradigm. Cubic flowgraphs are instrumental in providing formalisms for decomposition and integration. Cyclomatic complexity analysis of a design representation that is decomposable is the goal of this research. In addition to introducing cyclomatic complexity computation using cubic flowgraphs, preservation of cyclomatic complexity in the decomposition of the cubic flowgraph is also presented.
- M. M. Tanik and E. S. Chan, Fundamentals of Computing for Software Engineers, Van Nostrand Reinhold, 1991.
- A. H. Dogru and I. Altintas, “Modeling language for component-oriented software engineering: COSEML,” The Fifth World Conference on Integrated Design and Process Technology, Dallas, Texas, June 4–8, 2000.
- T. McCabe, “A complexity measure,” IEEE Transactions on Software Engineering, SE-2(4), pp. 308–320, 1976.
- R. Prather, “Design and analysis of hierarchical software metrics,” ACM Computing Surveys 27(4), pp. 497–518, 1995.
- R. Prather, “Regular expressions for program computations,” The American Mathematical Monthly 104(2), pp. 120–130, 1997.
- S. Muchnik and N. D. Jones, Program Flow Analysis. Prentice Hall Inc.: Englewood Cliffs, NJ, 1981.
- A. Gibbons, Algorithmic Graph Theory, Cambridge University Press: Cambridge, England, 1985.
- M. Tanik, U. Pooch, and S. Yurttas, Advanced Programming Techniques in TURBO PASCAL, pp. 237–283, Wordware Publishing, Inc.: Plano, Texas, 1988.
- Y. Tang, A Methodology for Component-based System Integration, Ph.D. Dissertation, New Jersey Institute of Technology, Newark, New Jersey, January 1999.
- Y. Tang, A. Dogru, and M. Tanik, “Cyclomatic complexity based on cubic flowgraphs,” The Third Conference on Integrated Design and Process Technology, Berlin, Germany, IDPT, 4, pp. 82–85, July 6–9, 1998.
- Computing Cyclomatic Complexity with Cubic Flowgraphs
Journal of Systems Integration
Volume 10, Issue 4 , pp 395-409
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- software engineering
- software metrics
- cyclomatic complexity
- cubic graphs
- software components
- Author Affiliations
- 1. School of Computer Science and Information Systems, Fairleigh Dickinson University, 1000 River Road, T-BE2-01, Teaneck, New Jersey, 07666, USA
- 2. Computer Engineering Department, Middle East Technical University, 06531, Ankara, Turkey
- 3. Computer Science Department, Concordia University, 1455 de Maisonneuve West, Montreal, Quebec, H3G 1M8, Canada
- 4. Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, The University of Alabama at Birmingham, Birmingham, AL, 35294, USA