Finite Scale Microstructures in Nonlocal Elasticity
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
In this paper we develop a simple one-dimensional model accounting for the formation and growth of globally stable finite scale microstructures. We extend Ericksen's model  of an elastic “bar” with nonconvex energy by including both oscillation-inhibiting and oscillation-forcing terms in the energy functional. The surface energy is modeled by a conventional strain gradient term. The main new ingredient in the model is a nonlocal term which is quadratic in strains and has a negative definite kernel. This term can be interpreted as an energy associated with the long-range elastic interaction of the system with the constraining loading device. We propose a scaling of the problem allowing one to represent the global minimizer as a collection of localized interfaces with explicitly known long-range interaction. In this limit the augmented Ericksen's problem can be analyzed completely and the equilibrium spacing of the periodic microstructure can be expressed as a function of the prescribed average displacement. We then study the inertial dynamics of the system and demonstrate how the nucleation and growth of the microstructures result in the predicted stable pattern. Our results are particularly relevant for the modeling of twined martensite inside the austenitic matrix.
- J. Ball and R. James, The Mathematics of Microstructure. Birkhäuser, to appear.
- J. Ball, R. James, R. Pego and P. Swart, On the dynamics of fine structure. J. Nonlinear Sci. 1 (1991) 17-70.
- P. Bates and A. Chmaj, An integrodifferential model for phase transitions: Stationary solutions in higher space dimensions. J. Stat. Phys. 95 (1999) 1119-1139.
- P. Bates, P. Fife, X. Ren and X. Wang, Traveling waves in a convolution model for phase transitions. Arch. Rational Mech. Anal. 138 (1997) 105-136.
- D. Brandon, T. Liu and R. Rogers, Phase transitions and hysteresis in nonlocal and order parameter models. Meccanica 30(5) (1995) 541-565.
- J. Carr, M. Gurtin and M. Slemrod, Structured phase transitions on a finite interval. Arch. Rational Mech. Anal. 86 (1984) 317-351.
- A. Chmaj and X. Ren, Homoclinic solutions of an integral equation: Existence and stability. J. Differential Equations 155 (1999) 17-43.
- G. Dal Maso, An Introduction to 0-convergence. Progress in Nonlinear Differential Equations and Applications. Birkhäuser, Boston (1993).
- J. Ericksen, Equilibrium of bars. J. Elasticity 5 (1975) 191-201.
- L. Evans and R. Gariepy, Measure Theory and Fine Properties of Functions. CRC Press, Boca Raton, FL (1992).
- R. FitzHugh, Biological Engineering, H. Schwan (ed.), McGrow-Hill, New York (1969).
- R. Fosdick and D. Mason, Single phase energy minimizers for materials with nonlocal spatial dependence. Quart. Appl. Math. 54(1) (1996) 161-195.
- R. Fosdick and D. Mason, On a model of nonlocal continuum mechanics Part II: Structure, Asymptotics, and Computations. J. Elasticity 48 (1997) 51-100.
- R. Fosdick and D. Mason, On a model of nonlocal continuum mechanics, Part I: Existence and regularity. SIAM J. Appl. Math. 58(4) (1998) 1278-1306.
- E. Hewitt and K. Stromberg, Real and Abstract Analysis. Springer, Berlin (1965).
- S. Kartha, D. Krumhansl, J. Sethna and L. Wickman, Disorder driven pretransitional tweed in martensitic transformations. Phys. Rev. B 52 (1995) 803-822.
- A. Khachaturian, Theory of Structural Deformations in Solids. Wiley, New York (1983).
- M. Killough, A diffusion interface approach to the development of microstructure in martensite, PhD Thesis, New York University (1998).
- R. Kohn and S.Müller, Surface energy and microstructure in coherent phase transitions. Comm. Pure. Appl. Math. 47 (1994) 405-435.
- M. Luskin, On the computation of crystalline microstructure. Acta Numerica 5 (1996) 191-258.
- L. Modica, The gradient of phase transitions and the minimal interface criterion. Arch. Rational Mech. Anal. 98 (1987) 357-383.
- S. Müller, Singular perturbations as a selection criterion for periodic minimizing sequences. Cal. Var. Partial Diff. Equations 1 (1993) 169-204.
- S. Müller, Variational Models for Microstructure and Phase Transitions, Lecture Notes. Max-Plank-Institut, Leipzig (1998).
- R. Peierls, The size of a dislocation. Proc. Phys. Soc. 52 (1940) 34-37.
- M. Pitteri and G. Zanzotto, Continuum Models of Phase Transitions and Twinning in Crystals. CRC/Chapman & Hall, London, to appear.
- X. Ren and M. Winter, Young measures in a nonlocal phase transition problem. Proc. Roy. Soc. Edinburgh A 127 (1997) 615-637.
- R. Rogers and L. Truskinovsky, Discretization and hysteresis. Physica B 233 (1997) 370-375.
- A. Roytburd, Martensitic transformation as a typical phase trnsformation in solids. Solid State Phys. 34 (1978) 317-390.
- M. Slemrod, Admissibility criteria for propagating phase boundaries in a Van Der Waals fluid. Arch. Rational Mech. Anal. 81 (1983) 301-315.
- S. Timoshenko, On the correction for shear of the differential equation for transverse vibrations of prizmatic bars. Philos. Mag. Ser. 6 41 (1921) 744.
- L. Truskinovsky, Equilibrium phase boundaries. Soviet. Phys. Dokl. 27 (1982) 551-553.
- L. Truskinovsky, About the normal growth approximation in the dynamical theory of phase transitions. Cont. Mech. Thermodyn. 6 (1993) 185-208.
- L. Truskinovsky and G. Zanzotto, Finite scale microstructures and metastability in one-dimensional elasticity. Meccanica 30 (1995) 577-589.
- L. Truskinovsky and G. Zanzotto, Ericksen's bar revisited: Energy wiggles. J. Mech. Phys. Solids 44(8) (1996) 1371-1408.
- A. Vainchtein, T. Healey, P. Rosakis and L. Truskinovsky, The role of the spinodal in one-dimensional phase transitions microstructures. Phys. D 115 (1998) 29-48.
- Finite Scale Microstructures in Nonlocal Elasticity
Journal of elasticity and the physical science of solids
Volume 59, Issue 1-3 , pp 319-355
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors