The Relation of Self-Hatred and Suicidality in People With Schizophrenia-Spectrum Symptoms
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
It is well known that depressive symptoms represent a risk for suicidality in general. It is less clear, however, that general depressive symptoms comprise a definite suicide risk factor for people with schizophrenia. Based on this, as well as on the early writings of E. Bleuler (1911/1987), it was hypothesized that there may be a particular aspect of depressive symptoms that combines with schizophrenia to encourage suicidality. Specifically, schizophrenia may impart to self-concept a quality of self-hatred that encourages suicidality in schizophrenic people. If so, then an index of self-hatred should be more correlated with suicidality among people with schizophrenia-spectrum symptoms than among people with fewer such symptoms. Two studies evaluated this possibility. In Study 1 on 243 suicidal outpatients affiliated with the military, self-hate and suicidality were more correlated among people with schizotypal symptoms than among other patients. In Study 2 on 113 VA psychiatric inpatients, self-hate and suicidality were more correlated among people with a diagnosis of schizophrenia than among patients with a diagnosis of major depression. Study limitations were noted, and it was suggested that self-hatred be a focus of suicide risk assessment in schizophrenic people.
- American Psychiatric Association. (1994). Diagnostic and statistical manual of mental disorders (4th ed.). Washington, DC: Author.
- Beck, A. T., Rush, A. J., Shaw, B. F., & Emery, G. (1979). Cognitive therapy of depression. New York: Guilford.
- Beck, A. T., & Steer, R. A. (1987). Manual for the revised Beck Depression Inventory. San Antonio, TX: Psychological Corporation.
- Beck, A. T., Steer, R., & Garbin, M. (1988). Psychometric properties of the Beck Depression Inventory: 25 years of evaluation. Clinical Psychology Review, 8, 77–100.
- Bentler, P. M. (1995). EQS Structural Equations Program manual. Encino, CA: Multivariate Software.
- Bleuler, E. (1911/1987). Dementia praecox. Madison, CT: International Universities Press.
- Browne, M. W., & Cudeck, R. (1993). Alternative ways of assessing model fit. In K. A. Bollen & J. S. Long (Eds.), Testing structural equation models (pp. 136–162). Newbury Park, CA: Sage.
- Caldwell, C. B., & Gottesman, I. I. (1990). Schizophrenics kill themselves too: A review of risk factors for suicide. Schizophrenia Bulletin, 16, 571–589.
- Cohen, J., & Cohen, P. (1983). Applied multiple regression/correlation analysis for the behavioral sciences (2nd ed.). Hillsdale, NJ: Erlbaum.
- Cull, J., & Gill, W. (1989). The Suicide Probability Scale manual. Los Angeles: Western Psychological Services.
- Joiner, T. E., Jr., Alfano, M. S., & Metalsky, G. I. (1992). When depression breeds contempt: Reassurance-seeking, self-esteem, and rejection of depressed college students by their roommates. Journal of Abnormal Psychology, 101, 165–173.
- Kaplan, K. J., & Harrow, M. (1996). Positive and negative symptoms as risk factors for later suicidal activity in schizophrenics versus depressives. Suicide and Life-Threatening Behavior, 26, 105–121.
- Lambert, M. T., Griffith, J. M., & Hendrickse, W. (1996). Characteristics of patients with substance abuse diagnoses on a general psychiatry unit in a VA medical center. Psychiatric Services, 47, 1104–1107.
- Mann, J. J., Waternaux, C., Haas, G. L., & Malone, K. M. (1999). Toward a clinical model of suicidal behavior in psychiatric patients. American Journal of Psychiatry, 156, 181–189.
- Metalsky, G. I. (1989). Reliability of Computerized Diagnostic Schedule: Major depression. Unpublished data.
- Metalsky, G. I., & Joiner, T. E., Jr. (1997). The Hopelessness Depression Symptom Questionnaire. Cognitive Therapy and Research, 21, 359–384.
- Millon, T. (1983). Millon Clinical Multiaxial Inventory manual. Minneapolis, MN: Interpretive Scoring Systems.
- Popper, K. R. (1959). The logic of scientific discovery. New York: Basic Books.
- Regier, D., Myers, J., Kramer, J., Robins, L., Blazer, D., Hough, R., Eaton, W., & Locke, B. (1984). The NIMH epidemiologic catchment area program. Archives of General Psychiatry, 41, 941.
- Rudd, M. D., & Rajab, M. H. (1995). Specificity of the Beck Depression Inventory and the confounding role of comorbid disorders in a clinical sample. Cognitive Therapy and Research, 19, 51–68.
- Rudd, M. D., Rajab, M. H., Orman, D. T., Stulman, D. A., Joiner, T. E., Jr., & Dixon, W. (1996). Effectiveness of an outpatient problemsolving intervention targeting suicidal young adults: Preliminary results. Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology, 64, 179–190.
- Young, A. S., Nuechterlein, K. H., Mintz, J., Ventura, J., Gitlin, M., & Liberman, R. P. (1998). Suicidal ideation and suicide attempts in recent-onset schizophrenia. Schizophrenia Bulletin, 24, 629–634.
- The Relation of Self-Hatred and Suicidality in People With Schizophrenia-Spectrum Symptoms
Journal of Psychopathology and Behavioral Assessment
Volume 23, Issue 2 , pp 107-115
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Psychology, Florida State University, Tallahassee, Florida
- 2. Department of Psychology, Middle East Technical University, Ankara, Turkey
- 3. Department of Psychology, Lawrence University, USA
- 4. Department of Psychology, Baylor University, USA