Approximations for Multi-Class Departure Processes
- René Caldentey
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The exact analysis of a network of queues with multiple products is, in general, prohibited because of the non-renewal structure of the arrival and departure processes. Two-moment approximations (decomposition methods, Whitt  ) have been successfully used to study these systems. The performance of these methods, however, strongly depends on the quality of the approximations used to compute the squared coefficient variation (CV) of the different streams of products.
In this paper, an approximation method for computing the squared coefficient of variation of the departure stream from a multi-class queueing system is presented. In particular, we generalize the results of Bitran and Tirupati  and Whitt  related to the interference effect.
- J. Abate and W. Whitt, Numerical inversion of laplace transforms of probability distributions, ORSA J. Comput. 7 (1995) 36-43.
- G. Bitran and S. Dasu, A review of open queueing network models of manufacturing systems, Queueing Systems 12 (1992) 95-134.
- G. Bitran and D. Tirupati, Multiproduct queueing networks with deterministic routing: Decomposition approach and the notion of interference, Managm. Sci. 34(1) (1988) 75-100.
- D. Cox, Renewal Theory (Methuen, London, 1972).
- A. Khintchine, Mathematical Methods in Queueing Theory (Griffin, London, 1960).
- W. Kraemer and M. Langenbach-Belz, Approximate formulae for the delay in the queueing system GI/G/1, in: Congressbook, 8th ITC, Melbourne, 1976, pp. 235.1-235.8.
- P. Kuehn, Approximate analysis of general queueing networks by decomposition, IEEE Trans. Commun. 27 (1979) 113-126.
- W. Whitt, Approximating a point process by a renewal process: Two basic methods, Oper. Res. 30(1) (1982) 125-147.
- W. Whitt, The queueing network analyzer, Bell System Techn. J. 62 (1983) 2779-2843.
- W. Whitt, Approximations for departure processes and queues in series, Naval Res. Logist. Quart. 31 (1984) 499-521.
- W. Whitt, Towards better multi-class parametric-decomposition approximations for open queueing networks, Ann. Oper. Res. 48 (1994) 221-248.
- Approximations for Multi-Class Departure Processes
Volume 38, Issue 2 , pp 205-212
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- multi-class queueing networks
- parametric-decomposition approximations
- departure processes
- Industry Sectors
- René Caldentey (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Industrial Engineering, University of Chile, and Sloan School of Management, MIT, Cambridge, MA, 02139, USA