Integrity and Global Leadership
- Allen Morrison
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
This paper addresses the role of integrity in global leadership. It reviews the philosophy of ethics and suggests that both contractarianism and pluralism are particularly helpful in understanding ethics from a global leadership perspective. It also reviews the challenges to integrity that come through interactions that are both external and internal to the company. Finally, the paper provides helpful suggestions on how global leaders can define appropriate ethical standards for themselves and their organizations.
- Bardaracco, J. and A. Webb: 1995, 'Business Ethics: A View from the Trenches', California Management Review 37(2), 8–28.
- Black, S., A. Morrison and H. Gregersen: 1999, Global Explorers: The Next Generation of Leaders ( Routledge, New York).
- Brandt, R.: 1979, A Theory of the Good and the Right ( Oxford University Press, London).
- Donaldson, T.: 1985, 'Multinational Decisionmaking: Reconciling International Norms', Journal of Business Ethics 4, 357–366.
- England, G.: 1978, 'Managers and Their Value Systems: A Five Country Comparative Study', Columbia Journal of World Business.
- Faichnie, C.: 1998, 'Promoting Gender Equality at Work: Turning Vision into Reality', British Journal of Industrial Relations 36(4), 676–678.
- Goodpaster, K.: 1982, 'Some Avenues for Ethical Analysis in General Management', Teaching note #383–007 ( Harvard Business School, Cambridge, MA).
- Hare, R.: 1981, Moral Thinking ( Oxford University Press, London).
- Hollstein, B.: 'Don't Do As the Romans Do', Security Management 4(2), 56–57.
- King, N.: 1997, 'Bribery Ban is Approved by OECD', Wall Street Journal (November 24), A14.
- Kohls, J. and P. Buller: 1994, 'Resolving Crosscultural Ethical Conflict: Exploring Alternative Strategies', Journal of Business Ethics 13, 31–38.
- Lee, K.: 1982, 'Ethical Beliefs in Marketing Management: A Cross-Cultural Study', European Journal of Marketing, 58–67.
- McCoy, B.: 1983, 'The Parable of the Sadhu', Harvard Business Review (September-October), 103–108.
- Nash, L.: 1981, 'Ethics Without the Sermon', Harvard Business Review (November-December), 78–90.
- Navran, F.: 1997, '12 Steps to Building a Best-Practices Ethics Program', Workforce 76(9), 117–122.
- Nyaw, M. and I. Ng: 1994, 'A Comparative Analysis of Ethical Beliefs: A Four Country Study', Journal of Business Ethics 13, 543–555.
- Puffer, S.: 1990, 'Attributions of Charismatic Leadership: The Impact of Decision Style, Outcome, and Observer Characteristics', Leadership Quarterly 1, 177–192.
- Stern, G. and J. Lublin: 1996, 'New GM Rules Curb Wining and Dining', Wall Street Journal ( June 5), B1-B2.
- Tichy, N. and M. A. Devana: 1986, The Transformational Leader (Wiley, New York).
- Yeung, A. and D. Ready: 1995, 'Developing Leadership Capabilities of Global Corporations: A Comparative Study in Eight Nations', Human Resource Management 34(4) (Winter), 529–547.
- Integrity and Global Leadership
Journal of Business Ethics
Volume 31, Issue 1 , pp 65-76
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- business ethics
- cross-cultural management
- global leadership
- Industry Sectors
- Allen Morrison (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Richard Ivey School of Business, University of Western Ontario, London, Ontario, Canada, N6H 5H4