Brief Report: Lack of Correlation Between Age of Symptom Onset and Contemporaneous Presentation
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The parents/guardians of 50 individuals were surveyed using a semistructured interview to determine the feasibility of this method and to establish ages of symptom onset. Thirty-eight informants were able to recall sufficient detail to allow categorization of the age of symptom onset. Chi-square analysis confirmed a significant association between investigators' categorization and informants' categorization. Contemporaneous presentation was indexed using Childhood Autism Rating Scale, the Autism Behavior Checklist, the Conners Hyperactivity Index, and the Ritvo-Freeman Real Life Rating Scale for Autism. No significant correlations were determined between any of these indices of symptom severity and age of symptom onset.
- American Psychiatric Association. (1994). Diagnostic and statistical manual of mental disorders, (4th ed.). Washington DC.
- Baron-Cohen, S., Allen, J., & Gillberg, C. (1992). Can autism be detected at 18 months? The needle, the haystack, and the Cat Scan.British Journal of Psychiatry, 161, 839-843.
- Brown, J., & Prelock, P. A. (1995). Brief report: The impact of regression on language development in autism. Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders, 25, 305-309.
- Conners, C. K. (1969). A teacher rating scale for use in drug studies with children. American Journal of Psychiatry, 126, 884-888.
- Freeman, B. J., Ritvo, E. R., Yokota, A., & Ritvo, A. (1986). A scale for rating symptoms of patients with the syndrome of autism in real life settings. Journal of the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, 25, 130-136.
- Harper, J., & Williams, S. (1975). Age and type of onset as critical variables in early infantile autism. Journal of Autism and Childhood Schizophrenia, 5, 25-36.
- Kanner, L. (1943) Autistic disturbances of affective contact. Nervous Child, 2, 217-250.
- Kolvin, I. (1971). Psychoses in childhood-a comparative study. In M. Rutter (ed.) Infantile autism: Concepts, characteristics and treatment (pp. 7-26) London: Churchill-Livingstone.
- Krug, D. A., Arick, J., & Almond, P. (1980). Behavior checklist for identifying severely handicapped individuals with high levels of autistic behavior. Journal of Child Psychology and Psychiatry, 21, 221-22
- Kurita, H. (1985). Infantile autism with speech loss before the age of 30 months. Journal of the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, 24, 191-196.
- Osterling, J., & Dawson, G. (1994). Early recognition of children with autism: A study of first birthday home videotapes. Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders, 24, 247-257
- Rogers, S., & DiLalla, D. (1990). Age of symptom onset in young children with pervasive developmental disorders. Journal of the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, 29, 863-872
- Schopler, E., Reichler, R. J., DeVellis, R. F., & Daly, K. (1980). Toward objective classification of childhood autism: Childhood Autism Rating Scale (CARS). Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders, 10, 91-103.
- Short, A., & Schopler, E. (1988). Factors relating to age of onset in autism. Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders, 18, 207-216.
- Siegel, B., Pliner, C., Eschler, J., & Elliot, G. R. (1988). How autistic children are diagnosed: difficulties in identification of children with multiple developmental delays. Journal of Developmental and Behavioral Pediatrics, 9, 199-204.
- Volkmar, F. R. (1996). Early childhood autism. In Psychoses and pervasive developmental disorders in childhood and adolescence. American Psychiatric Press.
- Volkmar, F. R., Stier, D. M., & Cohen, D. J. (1985). Age of recognition of pervasive developmental disorder. American Journal of Psychiatry, 142, 1450-1452.
- Brief Report: Lack of Correlation Between Age of Symptom Onset and Contemporaneous Presentation
Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders
Volume 31, Issue 2 , pp 241-245
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- age of symptom onset
- contemporaneous presentation
- Industry Sectors