Constraints and the Measurement of Freedom of Choice
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
This paper introduces considerations about constraints in the construction of measures of an agent's freedom. It starts with motivating the exercise from both the philosophical and the informational point of view. Then it presents two rankings of opportunity sets based on information about the extent of options and the constraints that a decision maker faces. The first ranking measures freedom as variety of choice; the second as non-restrictedness in choice.
- Baigent, N. and Gaertner, W. (1996), Never Choose the Uniquely Largest: A Characterization, Economic Theory 8(2): 239-249.
- Berlin, I. (1969), Four Essays on Liberty. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- Cattaneo, G. (1997), Generalised Rough Sets (Preclusivity Fuzzy-Intuitionistic (BZ) Lattices), Studia Logica 58: 47-77
- Gaertner, W. and Xu, Y. (1999a), On rationalizability of choice functions: A characterization of the median, Social Choice and Welfare 16: 629-638.
- Gaertner, W. and Xu, Y. (1999b), Rationality and External Reference, Rationality and Society 11: 169-185.
- Gaertner, W., Pattanaik, P. K. and Suzumura, K. (1992), Individual Rights Revisited, Economica 59: 161-177.
- Jones, P. and Sugden, R. (1982), Evaluating Choice, International Review of Law and Economics 2: 47-65.
- Klemisch-Alhert, M. (1993), Freedom of Choice. A Comparison of Different Rankings of Opportunity Sets, Social Choice and Welfare 10: 189-207.
- Kristjánsson, K. (1996), Social Freedom. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- MacCallum, G. C. (1967), Negative and Positive Freedom, The Philosophical Review 76: 312-324.
- Miller, D., ed. (1991), Liberty. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- Pattanaik, P.K. and K. Suzumura, (1996), IndividualRights and Social Evaluation: A Conceptual Framework, Oxford Economic Papers 48: 194-212.
- Pattanaik, P.K. and Xu, Y. (1990), On Ranking Opportunity Sets in Terms of Freedom of Choice, Recherches Économiques de Louvain 56: 383-390.
- Pattanaik, P.K. and Xu, Y. (1998), On Preferences and Freedom, Theory and Decision 44: 173-198.
- Pawlak, Z. (1982), Rough Sets, International Journal of Information and Computer Sciences 11: 341-356.
- Puppe, C. (1996), An Axiomatic Approach to 'Preference for Freedom of Choice', Journal of Economic Theory 68: 174-199.
- Sen, A.K. (1988), Freedom of Choice: Concept and Content, European Economic Review 32: 269-294.
- Sen, A.K. (1991), Welfare, Preference and Freedom, Journal of Econometrics 50: 15-29.
- Sen, A.K. (1993a), Internal Consistency of Choice, Econometrica 61: 495-521.
- Sen, A.K. (1993b), Markets and Freedoms: Achievements and Limitations of the Market Mechanism in Promoting Individual Freedoms, Oxford Economic Papers 45: 519-541.
- Suppes, P. (1987), Maximizing Freedom of Decision: An Axiomatic Analysis, In: Arrow and the Foundations of the Theory of Economic Policy. London: MacMillan, pp. 243-254.
- Constraints and the Measurement of Freedom of Choice
Theory and Decision
Volume 50, Issue 3 , pp 213-238
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Measures of liberty
- Freedom of choice
- Non-welfaristic foundations of normative economics
- Social choice theory
- Industry Sectors