The Value of Knowledge/Rationality or the Knowledge/Rationality of Value?: Implications for Education
- Sheryle Drewe
- … show all 1 hide
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
This paper reviews and augments important work in philosophy of education on intrinsic aims for education, of knowledge, of knowledge of values, and of rationality. A contemporary conception of knowledge as ``rationality's `data-base''' is proposed and an in-depth section on the intrinsic value of rationality is incorporated.
Supplementary Material (0)
- Arnstine, D.: 1992, ‘The Educator's Impossible Dream: Knowledge as an Educational Aim’, in H. Alexander (ed.), Philosophy of Education 1992, Philosophy of Education Society, Urbana, Illinois.
- Bergmann Drewe, S.: 1999, ‘The Rational Underpinning of Aesthetic Experience: Implications for Arts Education’, Canadian Review of Art Education 26(1), 22-33.
- Burbules, N.: 1995, ‘Reasonable Doubt: Toward a Postmodern Defense of Reason as an Educational Aim’, in W. Kohli (ed.), Critical Conversations in Philosophy of Education, Routledge, New York.
- Colbeck, J.: 1992, ‘Against Reason’, Revista Espanola de Pedagogia, ano L, 193, 515-525.
- Downie, R.S., Loudfoot, E.M. and Telfer, E.: 1974, Education and Personal Relationships, Methuen & Co., London.
- Hirst, P.: 1973, ‘Liberal Education and the Nature of Knowledge’, in R.S. Peters (ed.), The Philosophy of Education, Oxford University Press, Oxford.
- Hirst, P.: 1993, ‘Education, Knowledge and Practices’, in R. Barrow and P. White (eds.), Beyond Liberal Education: Essays in Honour of Paul H. Hirst, Routledge, London.
- MacIntyre, A.: 1964, ‘Against Utilitarianism’, in T. Hollins (ed.), Aims in Education: The Philosophic Approach, Manchester University Press, Manchester.
- Macmillan, C.J.B.: 1984, ‘Love and Logic in 1984’, in E. Robertson (ed.), Philosophy of Education 1984, Philosophy of Education Society, Illinois State University, Normal, IL.
- Peters, R.S.: 1967, ‘What is an Educational Process?’ in R.S. Peters (ed.), The Concept of Education, Routledge & Kegan Paul, London.
- Reid, A.: 1997. ‘Value Pluralism and Physical Education’, European Physical Education Review 3(1), 6-20.
- Rorty, R.: 1989, ‘Solidarity or Objectivity?’ in M. Krausz (ed.), Relativism: Interpretation and Confrontation, University of Notre Dame Press, Notre Dame.
- Siegel, H.: 1988, Educating Reason: Rationality, Critical Thinking, and Education, Routledge, New York.
- Siegel, H.: 1996, ‘On Some Recent Challenges to the Ideal of Reason’, Inquiry: Critical Thinking Across the Disciplines 15(4), 2-16.
- Siegel, H.: 1997, Rationality Redeemed? Further Dialogues on an Educational Ideal, Routledge, New York.
- White, J.: 1982, The Aims of Education Restated, Routledge & Kegan Paul, London.
About this Article
- The Value of Knowledge/Rationality or the Knowledge/Rationality of Value?: Implications for Education
Studies in Philosophy and Education
Volume 20, Issue 3 , pp 235-244
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- educational aims
- Sheryle Drewe (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. University of Manitoba, Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada