Identification and Effects of Interaction Phytotoxic Compounds from Exudate of Cistus ladanifer Leaves
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Eleven allelochemicals (ferulic acid, cinnamic acid, 4-hydroxybenzoic acid, hydroxycinnamic acid, methyl propionate, oxalic acid, methylmalonic acid, p-anisic acid, butyric acid, 3-hydroxybutyric acid, and azulene) were identified in the exudate of Cistus ladanifer L. We studied the effect of each on germination, cotyledon emergence, root length, and cotyledon length of Rumex crispus. Three groups were distinguished with respect to phytotoxic activity: compounds with low activity (ferulic acid, 4-hydroxybenzoic acid, oxalic acid, methylmalonic acid, p-anisic acid, hydroxybutyric acid, and azulene), with intermediate activity (cinnamic acid and hydroxycinnamic acid), and with high activity (methyl propionate and butyric acid). The effect of the interaction of the compounds was studied. When acting conjointly, all combinations tested produced a more negative effect on both germination and seedling growth than when acting alone. The interaction affected cotyledon emergence and root length more negatively than germination and cotyledon length. When hydroxycinnamic acid and cinnamic acid were added to these mixtures there was an enhancement in the phytotoxic activity, accentuating the effect of the other allelochemicals.
- Ballester, A., Vieitez, A. M., and Vieitez, E. 1982. Allelopathic potential of Erica vagans, Calluna vulgaris, and daboecia cantabrica. J. Chem. Ecol. 8:851-857.
- Blum, U., and Rebbeck, J. 1989. Inhibition and recovery of cucumber roots given multiple treatments of ferulic acid in nutrient culture. J. Chem. Ecol. 15:917-928.
- Blum, U., Geric, T. M., and Weed, S. B. 1989. Effects of mixture of phenolic acids on leaf area expansion of cucumber seedling grown in different pH Portsmouth A1 soil materials. J. Chem. Ecol. 15(10):2413-2423.
- Carballeira, A. 1980. Phenolic inhibitors in Erica australis L. and in associated soil. J. Chem. Ecol. 6(3):593-596.
- Chaves, N., and Escudero, J. C. 1997. Allelopathic effect of Cistus ladanifer on seed germination. Funct. Ecol. 11:432-440.
- Chaves, N., Ríos, J. J., Gutíerrez, C., Escudero, J. C., and Olías, J. M. 1998. Analysis of secreted flavonoids of Cistus ladanifer L. By high-performance liquid chromatography-particle beam mass spectrometry. J. Chromatogr. A. 799:111-115.
- Gallardo, T. M., Martín, B. B., and Martín, D. F. 1998. Inhibition of water fern Salvinia minima by cattail (Typha domingensis) extracts and by 2-chlorophenol and salicylaldehyde. J. Chem. Ecol. 24(9):1483-1490.
- Haugland, E., and Brandsaeter, L. O. 1996. Experiments on bioassay sensitivity in the study of allelopathy. J. Chem. Ecol. 22(10):1845-1859.
- Inderjit, and Dakshini, K. M. M. 1991. Hesperetin 7-rutinoside (hesperidin) and taxifolin 3-arabinoside as germination and growth inhibitors in the soils associated with the weed, Pluchea lanceolata (DC) C. B. Clarke (Asteraceae). J. Chem. Ecol. 17:1585-1591.
- Inderjit, and Dakshini, K. M. M. 1992. Formononetin 7-O-glucoside, an additional inhibitor from the soil associated with the weed, Pluchea lanceolata (DC) C.B. Clarke (Asteraceae). J. Chem. Ecol. 18:713-718.
- Jaderlund, A., Zackrisson, O., and Nillsson, M. C. 1996. Effects of bilberry (Vaccinium myrtillus L.) litter on seed germination and early seedling growth of four boreal tree species. J. Chem. Ecol. 22(5):973-986.
- Kil, B. S., and Yim, Y. J. 1983. Allelopathic effects of Pinus densiflora on undergrowth of red pin forest. J. Chem. Ecol. 9(8):1135-1151.
- Kil, B. S., and Yun, K. W. 1992. Allelopathic effects of water extracts of Artemisia princeps var. orientalis on selected plant species. J. Chem. Ecol. 18(1):39-51.
- Kuiters, A. T. 1989. Effects of phenolic acids on germination and early growth of herbaceous woodland plants. J. Chem. Ecol. 15:467-479.
- Kuuluvaine, T. 1994. Gap disturbance, ground microtopography, and the regeneration dynamics of boreal coniferous forest in Finland: A review. Ann. Zool. Fenn. 31:35-51.
- Lehman, M. E., Blum, U., and Gerig, T. M. 1994. Simultaneous effects of ferulic and p-coumaric acids on cucumber leaf expansion in split-root experiments. J. Chem. Ecol. 20:1773-1782.
- Li, J., Inoue, M., Nishimura, H., Mizutani, J., and Tsuzuki, E. 1993. Interactions of trans-cinnamic acid, its related phenolic allelochemicals, and abscisic acid in seedling growth and seed germination of lettuce. J. Chem. Ecol. 19(8):1775-1787.
- Lyu, S. W., Blum, U., Geric, T. U., and O'brien, T. E. 1990. Effects of mixtures of phenolic acid on phosphorus uptake by cucumber seedlings. J. Chem. Ecol. 16(8):2559-2567.
- Macías, F. A., Galindo, J. C. G., Massanet, J. M., Rodriguez-luis, F., and Zubia, E. 1993. Allelochemicals form Pilocarpus goudotianus leaves. J. Chem. Ecol. 19(7):1371-1379.
- Malato-belíz, J. Escudero, J. C., and Buyolo, T. 1992. Application of traditional indices and of diversity to an ecotonal area of different biocoenes. The State of the Art in Vegetatio Science. International Association for Vegetation Science (IAVS), Toledo, Spain. Abstracts, 75 pp.
- Milborrow, B. V. 1984. Inhibitors, pp. 77-110, in M. B. Wilkins (ed.). Advanced Plant Physiology. Pitman Publishing, London.
- Nilsson, M.-C. 1992. The mechanisms of biologicla interference by Empetrum hermaphroditum on tree seedling establishment in boreal forest ecosystem. PhD thesis. Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences, Umeå, Sweden. ISBN 91-576-4640-6.
- Odén, P. C., Brandtberg, P. O., Anderson, R. Greg, R., Zackrisson, O., and Nilsson, M. C. 1992. Isolation and characterization of a germination inhibition from leaves of empetrum hermaphroditum Hagerup. Scand. J. For. Res. 7:497-502.
- Pandey, D. K. 1994. Inhibition of salvinia (Salvinia molesta Mitchell) by parthenium (Parthenium hysterophorus L.). I. Effect of leaf residue and allelochemicals. J. Chem. Ecol. 20:3111-3122.
- Rice, E. L. 1984. Allelopathy. Academic Press, Orlando, Florida.
- Rikala, R., and Jozefek, H. J. 1990. Effects of dolomite lime and wood ash on peat substrate and development of tree seedlings. Silvia Fenn. 24(4):323-334.
- Smith, A. E., and Martin, L. D. 1994. Allelopathic characteristics of 3 cool-season grass species in the forage ecosystem. Agron. J. 86:243-246.
- Vogt, T., and Gülz, P. G. 1991. Isocratic column liquid chromatographic separation of a complex mixture of epicuticular flavonoid aglycones and intracellelar flavonol glycosides from Cistus laurifolius L. J. Chromatogr. 537:453-459.
- Wacker, T. L., Safir, G. R., and Stephens, C. T. 1990. Effects of ferulic acid on Glomus fasciculatum and associated effects on phosphorus uptake an growth of asparagus (Asparagus officinalis L.). J. Chem. Ecol. 16:901-909.
- Identification and Effects of Interaction Phytotoxic Compounds from Exudate of Cistus ladanifer Leaves
Journal of Chemical Ecology
Volume 27, Issue 3 , pp 611-621
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- phenolic compounds
- Cistus ladanifer
- Rumex crispus
- Industry Sectors