Comparative Data of Childhood and Adolescence Molestation in Heterosexual and Homosexual Persons
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
In research with 942 nonclinical adult participants, gay men and lesbian women reported a significantly higher rate of childhood molestation than did heterosexual men and women. Forty-six percent of the homosexual men in contrast to 7% of the heterosexual men reported homosexual molestation. Twenty-two percent of lesbian women in contrast to 1% of heterosexual women reported homosexual molestation. This research is apparently the first survey that has reported substantial homosexual molestation of girls. Suggestions for future research were offered.
- Bell, A. P., Weinberg, M. S., and Hammersmith, S. K. (1981). Sexual Preference: Its Development in Men and Women, Indiana University Press, Bloomington.
- Bradford, J., Ryan, C., and Rothblum, E. D. (1994). National Lesbian Health Care Survey: Implications for mental health care. J. Consult. Clin. Psychol. 62: 228-242.
- Cameron, P., and Cameron, K. (1995). Does incest cause homosexuality? Psychol. Rep. 76: 611-621.
- Condy, S. R., Templer, D. I., Brown, R., and Veaco, L. (1987). Parameters of sexual contact of boys with women. Arch. Sex. Behav. 16: 379-394.
- Doll, L. S., Joy, D., Bartholow, B. N., Harrison, J. S., Bolan, G., Douglas, J. M., Saltzman, L. E., Moss, P. M., and Delgado, W. (1992). Self-reported childhood and adolescent sexual abuse among adult male homosexual and bisexual men. Child Abuse Negl. 16: 855-864.
- Dunbar, T. M. (1995). Women who sexually molest female children. Dissert. Abstr. Int., Sec. B: Sci. Engng. 56(3-B): 1687.
- Groth, A. N., and Birnbaum, H. J. (1978). Adult sexual orientation and attraction to underage persons. Arch. Sex. Behav. 7: 175-181.
- Gundlach, R. H. (1977). Sexual molestation and rape reported by homosexual and heterosexual women. J. Homosex. 2: 367-384.
- Hall, J. M. (1996). Pervasive effects of childhood sexual abuse in lesbians' recovery from alcohol abuse. Subst. Use Misuse 31: 225-239.
- Hislop, J. R. C. (1995). Female child molesters. Dissert. Abstr. Int. 1995-95013-106. UMI AAM9514340.
- Hunter, J. A., Lexier, L. J., Goodwin, D. W., and Browne, P. A. (1993). Psychosexual, attitudinal, and developmental characteristics of juvenile female sexual perpetrators in a residential treatment setting. J. Child Fam. Studies 2: 317-326.
- Jaffe, A. C., Dynneson, L., and ten Bensel, R.W. (1975). Sexual abuse of children: An epidemiological study. Am. J. Disease Child. 129: 689-692.
- Petrovich, M., and Templer, D. I. (1984). Heterosexual molestation of children who later became rapists. Psychol. Rep. 54: 810.
- Simari, C. G., and Baskin, D. (1982). Incestuous experiences within homosexual populations: A preliminary study. Arch. Sex. Behav. 11: 329-344.
- Comparative Data of Childhood and Adolescence Molestation in Heterosexual and Homosexual Persons
Archives of Sexual Behavior
Volume 30, Issue 5 , pp 535-541
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- childhood molestation
- adult sexual orientation
- female pedophiles
- Industry Sectors