Thermal Behaviour of Phenol-Formaldehyde (PF) Compounds
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
The self-condensation reactions of 2- and 4-mono-methylol phenols (2-MMP and 4-MMP), in the presence of varying concentrations of NaOH, have been studied by differential scanning calorimetry (DSC). The reaction exotherms were analysed to derive the activation energy, Ea, and the heat of reaction, HT, for the condensation reactions. In the case of 2-MMP an increase in NaOH:2-MMP molar ratio caused an increased in Ea and a decrease in HT up to a molar ratio of 0.6:1. However, for 4-MMP, an increase in NaOH concentration caused an increase in Ea up to a molar ratio of 0.3:1 beyond which there appeared to be no further effect. The presence of NaOH had no effect on HT for this compound. The results suggest that in the range of NaOH concentration used the effect of NaOH was substantially greater on 2-MMP compared to 4-MMP.
- Y. Yazaki and P. J. Collins, Adhesion Science and Technology, Proc. of the International Adhesion Symposium, Japan 1994, p. 607.
- E. A. Turi, Thermal Characterization of Polymeric Materials, 2nd ed. Vol. 2, Academic Press, New York 1997, p. 1723.
- M. M. Sprung and M. T. Gladstone, J. Am. Chem. Soc., 71 (1949) 2907. CrossRef
- A. Sebenik, I. Vizovisek and S. Lapanje, Eur Polym. J., 10 (1974) 273. CrossRef
- M. F. Grenier-Loustalot, S. Larroque and P. Grenier, Polymer, 37 (1996) 939. CrossRef
- K. C. Eapen and L. M. Yeddanapalli, Makromol. Chem., 119 (1968) 4. CrossRef
- J. H. Freeman and C. W. Lewis, J. Am. Chem. Soc., 76 (1954) 2080. CrossRef
- Z. Katovic, J. Appl. Polym. Sci., 11 (1967) 85. CrossRef
- J. P. Creedon, Analytical Calorimetry, Proc. of the Symposium on Analytical Calorimetry, ACS, Chicago 1970, p. 185.
- L. M. Yeddanapalli and D. J. Francis, Makromol. Chem., 55 (1962) 74. CrossRef
- H. E. Kissinger, Anal. Chem., 29 (1957) 1702. CrossRef
- M. M. Sprung and M. T. Gladstone, J. Am. Chem. Soc., 71 (1949) 2910. CrossRef
- Z. Katovic, J. Appl. Polym. Sci., 11 (1967) 95. CrossRef
- A. Pizzi, Advanced Wood Adhesives, Marcel Dekker, Inc., 1994, p. 104.
- A. Knop and L. A. Pilato, Phenolic Resins, Springer-Verlag, 1985, p. 40.
- Thermal Behaviour of Phenol-Formaldehyde (PF) Compounds
Journal of Thermal Analysis and Calorimetry
Volume 56, Issue 3 , pp 1347-1352
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- activation energy
- differential scanning calorimetry
- heat of reaction
- 2-mono-methylol phenol
- 4-mono-methylol phenol
- Industry Sectors