Thermal Behaviour of Phenol-Formaldehyde (PF) Compounds
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The self-condensation reactions of 2- and 4-mono-methylol phenols (2-MMP and 4-MMP), in the presence of varying concentrations of NaOH, have been studied by differential scanning calorimetry (DSC). The reaction exotherms were analysed to derive the activation energy, Ea, and the heat of reaction, HT, for the condensation reactions. In the case of 2-MMP an increase in NaOH:2-MMP molar ratio caused an increased in Ea and a decrease in HT up to a molar ratio of 0.6:1. However, for 4-MMP, an increase in NaOH concentration caused an increase in Ea up to a molar ratio of 0.3:1 beyond which there appeared to be no further effect. The presence of NaOH had no effect on HT for this compound. The results suggest that in the range of NaOH concentration used the effect of NaOH was substantially greater on 2-MMP compared to 4-MMP.
- Y. Yazaki and P. J. Collins, Adhesion Science and Technology, Proc. of the International Adhesion Symposium, Japan 1994, p. 607.
- Turi, E. A. (1997) Thermal Characterization of Polymeric Materials. Academic Press, New York
- Sprung, M. M., Gladstone, M. T. (1949) J. Am. Chem. Soc. 71: pp. 2907 CrossRef
- Sebenik, A., Vizovisek, I., Lapanje, S. (1974) Eur Polym. J. 10: pp. 273 CrossRef
- Grenier-Loustalot, M. F., Larroque, S., Grenier, P. (1996) Polymer 37: pp. 939 CrossRef
- Eapen, K. C., Yeddanapalli, L. M. (1968) Makromol. Chem. 119: pp. 4 CrossRef
- Freeman, J. H., Lewis, C. W. (1954) J. Am. Chem. Soc. 76: pp. 2080 CrossRef
- Katovic, Z. (1967) J. Appl. Polym. Sci. 11: pp. 85 CrossRef
- Creedon, J. P. (1970) Analytical Calorimetry. Proc. of the Symposium on Analytical Calorimetry. ACS, Chicagopp. 185
- Yeddanapalli, L. M., Francis, D. J. (1962) Makromol. Chem. 55: pp. 74 CrossRef
- Kissinger, H. E. (1957) Anal. Chem. 29: pp. 1702 CrossRef
- Sprung, M. M., Gladstone, M. T. (1949) J. Am. Chem. Soc. 71: pp. 2910 CrossRef
- Katovic, Z. (1967) J. Appl. Polym. Sci. 11: pp. 95 CrossRef
- A. Pizzi, Advanced Wood Adhesives, Marcel Dekker, Inc., 1994, p. 104.
- A. Knop and L. A. Pilato, Phenolic Resins, Springer-Verlag, 1985, p. 40.
- Thermal Behaviour of Phenol-Formaldehyde (PF) Compounds
Journal of Thermal Analysis and Calorimetry
Volume 56, Issue 3 , pp 1347-1352
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- activation energy
- differential scanning calorimetry
- heat of reaction
- 2-mono-methylol phenol
- 4-mono-methylol phenol
- Industry Sectors