Liability for Autonomous Agent Design
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Though exciting scientifically, autonomous agent design can result in legal liability. This paper surveys those legal concerns, focusing on issues arising from the unique qualities of agents not found in conventional software. Informed designers can more effectively reduce their liability exposure and influence emerging agent liability law and policies.
- L. Burgunder, Legal Aspects of Managing Technology. South-Western Publishing: Cincinnati, Ohio, 1995.
- A. Caglayan, and C. Harrison, Agent Sourcebook. John Wiley & Sons: New York, NY, 1997.
- S. Ditlea, “Silent Partners.” PC Computing, pp. 160-171, 1994.
- D. Johnson, Computer Ethics, 2ed. Prentice Hall: New Jersey, 1994.
- B. Laurel, Interface Agents: Metaphors with Character. In B. Laurel, ed., The Art of Human-Computer Interface Design. Addison-Wesley, Reading, Mass., 1990.
- H. Lieberman, Letizia: An Agent that Assists Web Browsing. Proc.IJCAI 95, 1995.
- P. Maes, Agents that Reduce Work and Information Overload. Communications of the ACM 37,7 (July 1994), 31-40, 146.
- P. Maes, Artificial Life Meets Entertainment: Lifelike Autonomous Agents. Communications of the ACM 38,11 (November 1995), 108-114.
- P. Maes, Intelligent Software. Scientific American, September 1995, 84-86.
- S. E. Miller, Civilizing Cyberspace. ACM Press, New York, NY, 1996.
- J. H. Moor, Are There Decisions Computers Should Never Make? Nature and Systems 1 (1979), 217-229.
- P. Neumann, Computer-Related Risks. Addison-Wesley, Reading, Mass., 1995.
- B. Reeves, and C. Nass, The Media Equation. Cambridge University Press, New York, 1996.
- B. Shneiderman, Beyond Intelligent Machines: Just Do It! IEEE Software 10,1 (January 1993), 100-103.
- T. Selker, COACH: A Teaching Agent that Learns. Communications of the ACM 37,7 (July 1994), 92-99.
- T. Selker, ed. New Paradigms for Using Computers. Communications of the ACM 39,8 (August 1996), 60-69.
- J. Vergari, and V. Shue, Fundamentals of Computer-High Technology Law. American Law Institute-American Bar Association, Philadelphia, PA, 1991.
- Liability for Autonomous Agent Design
Autonomous Agents and Multi-Agent Systems
Volume 2, Issue 1 , pp 87-103
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- legal liability
- strict liability
- Industry Sectors