The ethics of representation and action in virtual reality
- Philip Brey
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
This essay addresses ethical aspects of the design and use of virtual reality (VR) systems, focusing on the behavioral options made available in such systems and the manner in which reality is represented or simulated in them. An assessment is made of the morality of ‘immoral’ behavior in virtual reality, and of the virtual modeling of such behavior. Thereafter, the ethical aspects of misrepresentation and biased representation in VR applications are discussed.
- C. Beardon. The Ethics of Virtual Reality. Intelligent Tutoring Media 3: 23–28, 1992.
- J. Briggs. The Promise of Virtual Reality. Futurist 50: 13–18, 1996.
- M. Cranford. The Social Trajectory of Virtual Reality: Substantive Ethics in a World Without Constraints. Technology in Society 18: 79–92, 1996.
- B. Friedman and H. Nissenbaum. Bias in Computer Systems. In B. Friedman, editor, Human Values and the Design of Computer Technology. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, 1997.
- I. Kant. Duties to Animals and Spirits. In Lectures on Ethics (trans. L. Infield). Methuen & Company, London, 1963.
- M. Mason. Morality and Models. In W. Wallace, editor, Ethics in Modeling. Elsevier Science, Oxford, 1994.
- S. Thurmel. Ethische Aspecte der Virtuellen Realität. In G. Meggle and U. Wessels, editors, Analyomen 1. Proceedings of the 1st Conference on Perspectives in Analytical Philosophy. De Gruyter, Berlin, 1994
- T. Valente and T. Bardini. Virtual Diffusion or an Uncertain Reality: Networks, Policy, and Models for the Diffusion of VR Technology. In F. Biocca and M. Levy, editors, Communication in the Age of Virtual Reality. Lawrence Erlbaum, Hillsdale, NJ, 1995.
- L. Whalley. Ethical Issues in the Application of Virtual Reality to Medicine. Computers in Biology and Medicine 25: 107–114, 1995.
- The ethics of representation and action in virtual reality
Ethics and Information Technology
Volume 1, Issue 1 , pp 5-14
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Philip Brey (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Twente University, Fac. WMW/SW, Enschede, the Netherlands. E-mail