A Generalization of Jumps and Labels
- Peter J. Landin
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
This paper describes a new language feature that is a hybrid of labels and procedures. It is closely related to jumping out of a functional subroutine, and includes conventional labels and jumping as a special, but probably not most useful, case. It is independent of assignment, ie., it can be added to a “purely-functional” (“non-imperative”) system (such as LISP without pseudo-functions or program feature). Experiments in purely functional programming suggest that its main use will be in success/failure situations, and failure actions. This innovation is incorporated in the projected experimental system, ISWIM.
- Burge, W.H., “The Evaluation, Classification and Interpretation of expressions,” Proceedings of the 19th National ACM Conference, 1964.
- Gilmore, P.C. An abstract computer with a LISP-like machine language without a label operator. In: Braffort, P., Hirschberg, D. eds. (1963) Computer Programming and Formal Systems. North Holland Publishing Co., Amsterdam
- Landin, P.J., “The Mechanical evaluation of expressions,” Comp. J. 6, pp. 308–320.
- Landin, P.J. (1965) A Correspondence between ALGOL 60 and Church's Lambda-notation. Comm. ACM 8: pp. 89-101
- Landin, P.J., “A formal description of ALGOL 60.” Presented at IFIP Working Conf., Baden, Sept. 1964.
- Landin, P.J., “Programming without lmperatives-an Example,” UNIVAC S.P. Research Report (March, 1965)
- Landin, P.J., “Getting Rid of Labels,” UNIVAC S.P. Research Report (July, 1965)
- McCarthy, J., “Towards a mathematical science of computation.” IFIP Munich Conference, 1962, North Holland, Amsterdam, 1963.
- Van Wijngaarden, A., “Recursive definition of syntax and semantics.” Presented at IFIP Working Conf., Baden, Sept. 1964.
- Landin, P.J., “An Analysis of Assignment in Programming Languages,” UNIVAC S.P. Research Report (September, 1965)
- A Generalization of Jumps and Labels
Higher-Order and Symbolic Computation
Volume 11, Issue 2 , pp 125-143
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Peter J. Landin (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. QMW, University of London, UK