Coated Nanoparticles: A New Way to Improved Nanocomposites
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
This paper introduces the new concept of coated nanoparticles as starting material for improved nanocomposites. The very special properties of nanomaterials often are properties of isolated particles. After combining nanoparticles to a macroscopic workpiece, usually these special properties are lost. Therefore, to obtain macroscopic parts exhibiting the properties of the isolated particles it is necessary to avoid or at least reduce the interaction of the particles. This can be achieved by coating each individual particle with a second ceramic or polymer layer. This type of materials can be synthesised only by using the microwave plasma process, because in this process the particles leave the plasma zone with electrical charges thwarting agglomeration. Additionally, by proper selection of the coating material it is possible to avoid grain growth during densification of the powder by sintering or hot pressing. As an example of application and as a proof of concept, the properties of macroscopic superparamagnetic parts are explained. Possibly, coated nanoparticles are the only starting material to produce macroscopic parts showing the very special properties of nanomaterials.
- Chang W., G. Skandan & B.H. Kaer, 1994. Nanostr. Materials 4, 507.
- Gleiter 1989. Nanocrystalline Materials, Prog. in Materials Science 33, 223.
- Gleiter 1992. Nanostructured Material 1, 1.
- Hahn H., J.A. Eastman & R.W. Siegel, 1988. Ceram. Trans. B1, 115.
- Néel L., 1949. Compt. Rend. 228, 664.
- Schloßmacher P., D.V. Szabó & P. Schweiss, 1996. FZKNachrichten 28, 89.
- Szabó D.V. & H. Müllejans, 1994. Proc. ICEM13, Vol. 2A, Le Éditions de Physique, Paris, pp. 379.
- Vollath D. & K.E. Sickafus, 1992. Nanostructured Materials 1, 427.
- Vollath D. & K.E. Sickafus, 1993. Nanostructured Materials 2, 451.
- Vollath D., 1994a. German Patent G9403591.0.
- Vollath D. & D.V. Szabó, 1994b. Nanostructured Materials 4, 927.
- Vollath D., D.V. Szabó & B. Seith, 1997a. German Patent 196 38 601.2–43.
- Vollath D., D.V. Szabó, R.D. Taylor & J.O. Willis, 1997b. J. Mater. Res. 12, 2175.
- Vollath D., D.V. Szabó & J. Fuchs, 1991. Nanostructured Materials (in print).
- Coated Nanoparticles: A New Way to Improved Nanocomposites
Journal of Nanoparticle Research
Volume 1, Issue 2 , pp 235-242
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- microwave plasma
- Industry Sectors