Relaxing Underspecified Semantic Representations for Reinterpretation
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Type and sort conflicts in semantics are usually resolved by a process of reinterpretation, which introduces an operator into the semantic representation. We elaborate on the foundations of a recent approach to reinterpretation within a framework for semantic underspecification. In this approach, relaxed underspecified semantic representations are inferred from the syntactic structure, leaving space for subsequent addition of reinterpretation operators. Unfortunately, a structural danger of overgeneration is inherent to the relaxation of underspecified semantic representations. We identify the problem and distinguish structural properties that avoid it. We furthermore develop techniques for proving these properties and apply them to prove the safety of relaxation in a prototypical syntax/semantics interface. In doing so, we present some novel properties of tree descriptions in the constraint language over lambda structures (CLLS).
- Alshawi, H. and R. Crouch. Monotonic Semantic Interpretation. In Proceedings of the 30th ACL, Kyoto, 32–39, 1992.
- Backofen, R., J. Rogers and K. Vijay-Shanker. A First-Order Axiomatization of the Theory of Finite Trees. Journal of Logic, Language, and Information, 4: 5–39, 1995. CrossRef
- Bierwisch, M. Semantische und konzeptionelle Repräsentation lexikalischer Einheiten. In R. Ruzicka and W. Motsch, editors, Untersuchungen zur Semantik, Berlin: Akademie-Verlag, 61–99, 1983.
- Bos, J. Predicate Logic Unplugged. In Proceedings of the 10th Amsterdam Colloquium, 133–143, 1996.
- Dölling, J. Sortale Selektionsbeschränkungen und systematische Bedeutungsvariation. In M. Schwarz, editor, Kognitive Semantik/Cognitive Semantics, Tübingen: Narr, 41–59, 1994.
- Duchier, D. and J. Niehren. Dominance Constraints with Set Operators. In First International Conference on Computational Logic, 2000.
- Egg, M. Reinterpretation by Underspecification. Habilitation thesis, Universität des Saarlandes. In preparation, 2000.
- Egg, M., A. Koller and J. Niehren. The Constraint Language for Lambda Structures. Submitted, 2000.
- Egg, M., J. Niehren, P. Ruhrberg and F. Xu. Constraints over Lambda-Structures in Semantic Underspecification. In Joint COLING/ACL, 353–359, 1998.
- Gardent, C. and B. Webber. Describing Discourse Semantics. In Proceedings of the 4th TAG+ Workshop, Philadelphia, 1998.
- Koller, A., K. Mehlhorn and J. Niehren. A Polynomial-Time Fragment of Dominance Constraints. In Proceedings of the 38th ACL, 368–375, 2000.
- Koller, A., J. Niehren and R. Treinen. Dominance Constraints: Algorithms and Complexity. In Proceedings of the Third Conference on Logical Aspects of Computational Linguistics, Grenoble, 1998. To appear in LNCS.
- Lascarides, A. and A. Copestake. Pragmatics and Word Meaning. Journal of Linguistics, 34: 387–414, 1998. CrossRef
- Marcus, M.P., D. Hindle and M.M. Fleck. D-Theory: Talking about Talking about Trees. In Proceedings of the 21st ACL, 129–136, 1983.
- Muskens, R. Order-Independence and Underspecification. In J. Groenendijk, editor, Ellipsis, Underspecification, Events and More in Dynamic Semantics. DYANA Deliverable R.2.2.C, 1995.
- Nunberg, G. Transfers of Meaning. Journal of Semantics, 12: 109–132, 1995.
- Pinkal, M. Radical Underspecification. In Proceedings of the 10th Amsterdam Colloquium, 587–606, 1996.
- Pustejovsky, J. The Generative Lexicon, Cambridge: MIT Press, 1995.
- Rambow, O., K. Vijay-Shanker and D. Weir. D-Tree Grammars. In 33rd Annual Meeting of the Association for Computational Linguistics, 151–158, 1995.
- Reyle, U. Dealing with Ambiguities by Underspecification: Construction, Representation, and Deduction. Journal of Semantics, 10: 123–179, 1993.
- van Deemter, K. and S. Peters. Semantic Ambiguity and Underspecification, Stanford: CSLI, 1996.
- Vijay-Shanker, K. Using Descriptions of Trees in a Tree Adjoining Grammar. Computational Linguistics, 18: 481–518, 1992.
- Vijay-Shanker, K., D. Weir and O. Rambow. Parsing D-Tree Grammars. In Proceedings of the International Workshop on Parsing Technologies, 1995.
- Relaxing Underspecified Semantic Representations for Reinterpretation
Volume 3, Issue 2-3 , pp 217-241
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- natural language semantics
- tree descriptions
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Computational Linguistics, University of the Saarland, 66041, Saarbrücken, Germany
- 2. Programming Systems Lab, University of the Saarland, 66041, Saarbrücken, Germany
- 3. Department of Computational Linguistics, University of the Saarland, 66041, Saarbrücken, Germany