Mangroves as a coastal protection from waves in the Tong King delta, Vietnam
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The wave reduction (wave period; 5–8 sec.) was investigated in amangrove reforestation area (Kandelia candel) close toaquaculture ponds in the Tong King delta, Vietnam.
On one site where only young mangrove trees grew, the wavereduction due to the drag force on the trees was hardlyeffective. On the other site where mangrove trees weresufficiently tall, the rate of wave reduction per 100 m was aslarge as 20%. Due to the high density of vegetation distributedthroughout the whole water depth, the effect of wave reductionwas large even when the water depth increased. These resultsdemonstrate the usefulness of mangrove reforestation for coastalprotection.
- Bretschneider, C.L. and Reid, R.O. 1954. Modification of wave-height due to bottom friction, percolation and refraction. B.E.B. Tech. Memo., No. 45, 1–36.
- Bretschneider, C.L. 1954. Generation of wind waves over a shallow bottom. B.E.B. Tech. Memo., No. 51, 1–24.
- Furukawa, K. and Wolanski, E. 1996. Sedimentation in mangrove forests. Mangroves and Salt Marshes, 1, 3–10.
- Hong, P.N. and San, H.T. 1993. Mangroves of Vietnam. IUCN, Bangkok, Thailand, 173 pp.
- Iwagaki, I. and Kakinuma, T. 1967. On the bottom friction factors off five Japanese coasts. Coast. Eng. Japan. Vol.X, 13–22.
- Kjerfve, B. 1990. Manual for investigation of hydrological processes in mangrove ecosystems. UNESCO/UNDP, Tompson Press, 79 pp.
- Lugo, A.E. and Snedaker, S.C. 1974. The ecology of mangroves. Annual Review of Ecology and Systematics 5: 39–64.
- Mazda, Y., Yokochi, H. and Sato, Y. 1990. Groundwater flow in the Bashita-Minato mangrove area, and its influence on water and bottom mud properties. Estuar., Coast. and Shelf Sci. 31: 621–638.
- Mazda, Y. 1993. Present situation of physical study in mangrove regions. J. Fac. Marine Sci. and Tech., Tokai Univ. 35: 169–184.
- Mazda, Y., Kanazawa, N. and Wolanski, E. 1995. Tidal asymmetry in mangrove creeks. Hydrobiologia 295: 51–58.
- Ridd. P.V., Wolanski, E. and Mazda, Y. 1990. Longitudinal diffusion in mangrove-fringed tidal creeks. Estuar., Coast. and Shelf Sci. 31: 541–554.
- Wolanski, E., Mazada, Y., King, B. and Gay, S. 1990. Dynamics, flashing and trapping in Hinchinbrook Channel, a giant mangrove swamp, Australia. Estuar., Coast. And Shelf Sci. 31: 555–579.
- Wolanski, E., Mazda, Y. and Ridd, P.V. 1992. Mangrove hydrodynamics. In: Robertson, A.I. and Alongi, D.M. (eds), Tropical Mangrove Ecosystems. Coastal and Estuarine Studies 41. American Geophysical Union, Washington, DC, 43–62.
- Mangroves as a coastal protection from waves in the Tong King delta, Vietnam
Mangroves and Salt Marshes
Volume 1, Issue 2 , pp 127-135
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- wave reduction
- flow resistance
- Tong King delta
- coastal protection
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Marine Science, School of Marine Science and Technology, Tokai University, 3-20-1, Orido, Shimizu, Shizuoka, 424, Japan
- 2. Action for Mangrove Reforestation, 3-29-14, Honcho, Nakano, Tokyo, 164, Japan
- 3. Mangrove Ecosystem Research Centre, Vietnam National University, 91 Nguyen Khuyen Street, Hanoi, Vietnam