A Critique of Atkins' Periodic Kindom and Some Writings on Electronic Structure
- Eric R. Scerri
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
This article consists of a critique of the writings of Peter Atkins. The topics discussed include the quantum mechanical explanation of the periodic system, the aufbau principle and the order of occupation of orbitals by electrons. It is also argued that Atkins fails to appreciate the philosophical significance of the more general version of the Pauli Exclusion Principle and that this omission has ramifications in the popular presentation of chemistry as well as chemical education and philosophy of chemistry in general.
- P.W. Atkins, The Periodic Kingdom, New York, NY: Basic Books, 1995.
- P.W. Atkins and R.S. Friedman, Molecular Quantum Mechanics, 3rd ed., Oxford: University Press, 1997.
- J.L. Bills, Experimental 4s and 3d Energies in Atomic Ground States. Journal of Chemical Education 75: 589–593, 1998.
- T.L. Brown, H.E. LeMay and B.E. Bursten, Chemistry: The Central Science, 7th ed., Englewood Cliffs, NJ: Prentice-Hall, 1997.
- B. Fricke, Superheavy Elements. Structure and Bonding (Berlin) 21: 89–144, 1975.
- S. Kais, M. Sung and D.R. Herschbach, Large-Z and-N Dependence of Atomic Energy from Renormalization of the Large Dimension Limit. International Journal of Quantum Chemistry 49: 657–674, 1994.
- R. Latter, Atomic Energy Levels for the Thomas-Fermi and Thomas-Fermi-Dirac Potential. Physical Review 99: 510–519, 1955.
- M.P. Melrose and E.R. Scerri, Why Is the 4s Orbital Filled before the 3d. Journal of Chemical Education 74: 498–503, 1996.
- P.G. Nelson, Relative Energies of 3d and 4s Orbitals. Education in Chemistry 29: 84–85, 1992.
- P.G. Nelson, How Do Electrons Get Across Nodes?. Journal of Chemical Education 67: 643–647, 1990.
- L.J.J. Norrby, Why is Mercury Liquid?. Journal of Chemical Education 68: 110–113, 1991.
- F.L. Pilar, 4s Is Always Above 3d!. Journal of Chemical Education 55: 2–6, 1978.
- P. Pyykkö, Relativistic Quantum Mechanics. Advances in Quantum Chemistry 11: 353, 1978.
- E.R. Scerri, Transition Metal Configurations and Limitations of the Orbital Approximation. Journal of Chemical Education 66: 481–483, 1989.
- E.R. Scerri, How Good is the Quantum Mechanical Explanation of the Periodic System? Journal of Chemical Education 75: 1384–1385, 1998.
- J. Schwinger, Thomas-Fermi Model: The Leading Correction. Physical Review A 22: 1827–1832, 1980.
- M. Silberberg, Chemistry: The Molecular Nature of Matter and Change. New York, NY: McGraw-Hill, 1999.
- L.G. Vanquickenborne, K. Pierloot and D.J. Devoghel. Transition Metals and the Aufbau Principle. Journal of Chemical Education 71: 469–471, 1994.
- A Critique of Atkins' Periodic Kindom and Some Writings on Electronic Structure
Foundations of Chemistry
Volume 1, Issue 3 , pp 295-303
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Eric R. Scerri (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Chemistry, Purdue University, West Lafayette, IN, 47907, USA