DDD-Pacing-Induced Cardiomyopathy Following AV Node Ablation for Persistent Atrial Tachycardia
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Ventricular rate control by catheter ablation of the AV node and pacing in patients with persistent atrial tachycardia has been reported to improve left ventricular function. However, this approach requires careful selection of the pacing mode. We report a patient who underwent AV node ablation for persistent multiple atrial tachycardias, and who then had a non-mode-switching pacemaker implanted. Because of an inappropriately programmed relatively high upper rate limit, the patient developed left ventricular dysfunction after 6 years. This resolved after programming the pacemaker to VVI at 70 bpm.
- Lemery R, Brugada P, Cheriex E, et al. Reversibility of tachycardia-induced left ventricular dysfunction after closed-chest catheter ablation of the atrioventricular junction for intractable atrial fibrillation. Am J Cardiol 1987;60:1406–1408.
- Kay, GN, Ellenbogen KA, Giudici M, et al. The ablate and pace trial: A prospective study of catheter ablation of the AV conduction system and permanent pacemaker implantation for treatment of atrial fibrillation. APT Investigators. J Interv Card Electrophysiol 1998;2:121–135.
- Manolis AG, Katsivas AG, Lazaris EE, et al. Ventricular performance and quality of life in patients who underwent radiofrequency AV junction ablation and permanent pacemaker implantation due to medically refractory atrial tachyarrhythmia. J Interv Card Electrophysiol 1998;2: 71–76.
- Calderone A, Bouvier M, Li K, Juneau C, et al. Dysfunction of the beta-and alpha-adrenergic systems in a model of congestive heart failure. The pacing-overdrive dog. Circ Res 1991;69:1546–1556.
- Moe GW, Stopps TP, Howard RJ, et al. Early recovery from heart failure: Insights into the pathogenesis of experimental chronic pacing induced heart failure. J Lab Clin Med 1988; 87:2016–2022.
- DDD-Pacing-Induced Cardiomyopathy Following AV Node Ablation for Persistent Atrial Tachycardia
Journal of Interventional Cardiac Electrophysiology
Volume 3, Issue 4 , pp 321-323
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- atrial tachycardia
- catheter ablation
- left ventricular dysfunction
- tachycardia-induced cardiomyopathy
- atrial flutter
- Industry Sectors