Role of Amiodarone in Heart Failure
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Amiodarone is a unique drug with potential benefits in heart failure. Unlike other antiarrhythmic drugs, amiodarone has properties of all four of the Vaughan-Williams classes. Amiodarone causes hemodynamic effects, as a result of its direct effect on smooth muscle and its calcium channel and alpha adrenergic blockade; it dilates coronary arteries and increases coronary blood flow. Amiodarone also causes peripheral arterial vasodilatation and decreases systemic blood pressure and afterload. There have been several clinical trials that demonstrated the beneficial effects of amiodarone therapy in heart failure involving small number of patients. The effect of amiodarone on survival in patients with CHF was recently examined in two large randomized, placebo-controlled trials. The Gruppo de Estudo de la Sobrevida en la Insufficiencia Cardiaca en Argentina (GESICA) was performed in Argentina, and the Survival Trial of Antiarrythmic Therapy In Congestive Heart Failure (CHF-STAT) was performed in Veterans' Administration hospitals in the United States. The results of the GESICA trial suggested that the addition of amiodarone improved survival, decreased hospital admissions for congestive heart failure, and improved functional class in patients with heart failure. The CHF-STAT study demonstrated that amiodarone therapy was associated with no survival benefit for sudden death, despite significant suppression of ventricular arrhythmias and improvement in left ventricular function. In conclusion amiodarone is an effective antiarrhythmic agent in patients with heart failure. It has been shown to suppress ventricular ectopy with an acceptable frequency of adverse effects when administered in lower doses. The role of amiodarone in patients with ischemic cardiomyopathy and heart failure needs further study.
- The SOLVD Investigators. Effects of Enalapril on survival in patients with reduced left ventricular ejection fractions and congestive heart failure. N Engl J Med 1991;325:293–302. CrossRef
- Cohen JN, Johnson G, Ziesche S, et. al. A comparison of enalapril with hydralazine-isosorbide dinitrate in the treatment of chronic congestive heart failure. N Engl J Med 1991;325:303–310. CrossRef
- Follanobee WP, Michelson EL, Morganroth. Non sustained ventricular tachycardia in ambulatory patients: Characteristics and association with sudden death. Ann Intern Med 1986;92:741–747.
- Schullze RA Jr., Strauss HW, Pitt B. Sudden death in the year following myocardial infarction: Relation of ventricular premature contractions in the late hospital phase and left ventricular ejection fraction. Am J Med 1977;62:192–199. CrossRef
- Francise JA. Survival in men with severe chronic left ventricular failure due to either coronary artery disease. 1983; 51:831–836.
- Chakko CS, Gheorghiade M. Ventricular arrhythmias in severe heart failure: Incidence, significance, and effectiveness of antiarrhythmic therapy. Am Heart J 1985;109:497.
- Pratt CM, Eaton T, Francis M et al. The inverse relationship between baseline left ventricular ejection fraction and outcome of antiarrhythmic therapy: A dangerous imbalance in the risk benefit ratio. Am Heart J 1989;118:433–440.
- Cardiac Arrhythmia Suppression Trial. Preliminary report: Effect of encainide and flecainide on mortality in a randomized trial of arrhythmia suppression after myocardial infarction. N Engl J Med 1989;321:406–412. CrossRef
- Chatterje K. Heart failure therapy in evolution. Circulation 1996;94:2689–2693.
- Hardman JG, Limbird LE. Goodman and Gillman's Pharmacological Basis of Therapeutics. 9th edition. P867.
- Podrid PJ. Amiodarone: Reevaluation of an old drug. Ann Intern Med 1995;122:689–700.
- Cleland JGF, Dargie HJ, Findlay IN, Wilson JT. Clinical, haemodynamic, and antiarrhythmic effects of long term treatment with amiodarone of patients in heart failure. Br Heart J 1987;57:436–445.
- Hamer AWF, Arkles LB, Johns JA. Beneficial effects of low dose amiodarone in patients with congestive heart failure: A placebo controlled trial. J Am Coll Cardiol 1989;14:1768–1774.
- Nicklas JM, McKenna WJ, Stewart RA, Mickelson JK, Das SK, Schork MA, Krikler SJ, Quain LA, Morady F, Pitt B. Prospective, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial of lowdose amiodarone in patients with severe heart failure and asymptomatic ventricular ectopy. Am Heart J 1991;122: 1016. CrossRef
- Garguichevich J, Ramos J, Gambarte A, Gentile A, Hauad S, Scapin O, Sirena J, Tibaldi M, Toplikar J. Effect of amiodarone therapy on mortality in patients with left ventricular dysfunction and asymptomatic complex ventricular arrhythmias: Argentine pilot study of sudden death and amiodarone. Am Heart J 1995;130:494–500. CrossRef
- Neri R, Mestroni L, Salvi A, Pandullo C, Camerini F. Ventricular arrhythmias in dilated cardiomyopathy: Efficacy of amiodarone. Am Heart J 1987;113:707. CrossRef
- Kerin NZ, Frumin H, Faitel K, Aragon E, Rubenfire M. Survival of patients with nonsustained ventricular tachycardia and impaired left ventricular function treated with low-dose amiodarone. J Clin Pharmacol 1991;31:1112–1117.
- Stevenson WG, Stevenson LW, Middlekauff HR, Fonarow GC, Hamilton MA, Woo MA, Saxon LA, Natterson PD, Steimle A, Walden JA, Tillisch JH. Improving survival for patients with atrial fibrillation and advanced heart failure. JACC 1996;28:1458–1463.
- Doval HC, Nul DR, Grancelli HO, Perrone SV, Bortman GR, Curiel R for GESICA. Randomised trial of low-dose amiodarone in severe congestive heart failure. Lancet 1994;344: 493–498. CrossRef
- Singh SN, ???, et al. Amiodarone in patients with congestive heart failure and asymptomatic ventricular arrythmia. N Engl J Med 1995;333:77–82. CrossRef
- Basel Antiarrhythmic Study of Infarct Survival (BASIS). Effect of antiarrhythmic therapy on mortality in survivors of myocardial infarction with asymptomatic complex ventricular arrhythmias. J Am Coll Cardiol 1990;16:1711-8: 1718. CrossRef
- Schwartz PJ, Camm AJ, Frangin G, Janses MJ, Julian DG, Simon P. Does amiodarone reduce sudden death and cardiac mortality after myocardial infarction? The European Myocardial Infarct Amiodarone Trial (EMIAT). European Heart Journal 1994;15:620–624.
- Cairns J, Connolly S, Gent M, Roberts R. Post-myocardial infarction mortality in patients with ventricular premature depolarizations. Canadian Amiodarone Myocardial Infarction Arrhythmia Trial Pilot Study. Circulation 1991;84: 550–557.
- Hammil SC, Packer DS. Amiodarone in congestive heart failure: Unraveling the GESICA and CHF-STAT differences. Heart 1996;75:6–7.
- Packer M, O Connor CM, Ghale ??, et al. Effects of amlodipine on morbidity and mortality in severe chronic heart failure. N Engl J Med 1996;335:1107–1114. CrossRef
- CIBIS Investigators Committee. A randomized trial of beta blockade in heart failure. The Cardiac Insufficiency Bisoprolol Study. Circulation 1994;90:1765.
- Greene HL, for the CASCADE investigators. The CASCADE study: Randomized antiarrhythmic drug therapy in survivors of cardiac arrest in seattle. Am J Cardiol 1993; 72:70F–74F. CrossRef
- Moss AJ, ??? et al. Improved survival with an implanted defibrillator in patients with coronary disease at high risk for ventricular arrhythmia. N Engl J Med 1996;335:1933–1940. CrossRef
- Nicklas et al. 1987
- EPAMSA 1995
- CHF-STAT 195
- GESICA 1994
- Role of Amiodarone in Heart Failure
Heart Failure Reviews
Volume 2, Issue 1 , pp 3-10
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links