Macropore Formation on p-Type Silicon
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Electrochemical anodisation of p-silicon of different crystal orientations and doping densities has been investigated in acetonitrile, propylene carbonate and dimethylformamide solutions containing hydrofluoric acid. The formation of a macroporous layer in acetonitrile and propylene carbonate is observed only if the resistivity of the silicon exceeds ∼10 Ω·cm for both (1 0 0) and (1 1 1) crystal orientations whereas in dimethylformamide the macroporous layer can be formed on ∼1 Ω·cm substrates. The influence of water concentration in the electrolyte on the morphology of the macroporous layer has also been studied. The resistivity of the used electrolyte solutions was measured and compared to that of silicon. Formation of a macroporous layer is explained by the effective collection of holes at the tip of the growing macropores.
- V. Lehmann and H. Föll, J. Electrochem. Soc. 137, 653 (1990).
- V. Lehmann, J. Electrochem. Soc. 140, 2836 (1993).
- C. Lévy-Clément, A. Lagoubi, and M. Tomkiewicz, J. Electrochem. Soc. 141, 958 (1994).
- E. Galun, C. Reuben, S. Matlis, R. Tenne, and C. Lévy-Clément, J. Phys. Chem. 99, 4132 (1995).
- E.K. Propst and P.A. Kohl, J. Electrochem. Soc. 141, 1006 (1994).
- M.M. Rieger and P.A. Kohl, J. Electrochem. Soc. 142, 1490 (1995).
- E.A. Ponomarev and C. Lévy-Clément, in Pits and Pores: Formation, Properties and Significance for Advanced Luminescent Materials, edited by P. Schmuki, D.J. Lockwood, H. Isaacs, and A. Bsiesy, PV 97-7 (The Electrochemistry Society Proceedings Series, Pennington, NJ, 1997), p. 319.
- E.A. Ponomarev and C. Lévy-Clément, Electrochemical and Solid-State Letters 1, 42 (1998).
- R.B. Wehrspohn, Porous amorphous silicon—Pore formation and photoluminescence properties, Ph.D. Thesis, Ecole Polytechnique, Paris, France, 1997.
- R.B. Wehrspohn, J.-N. Chazalviel, F. Ozanam, and I. Solomon, Thin Solid Films 297, 5 (1997).
- H. Cachet, J. Bruneaux, G. Folcher, C. Lévy-Clément, C. Vard, and M. Neumann-Spallart, Solar Energy Materials and Solar Cells 46, 101 (1997).
- Macropore Formation on p-Type Silicon
Journal of Porous Materials
Volume 7, Issue 1-3 , pp 51-56
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- p-type silicon
- non aqueous solutions
- Industry Sectors