Pcr-based multiplex DNA fingerprinting techniques for the analysis of conifer genomes
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
We utilised fingerprinting techniques such as amplified restriction fragment polymorphism (AFLP) and selective amplification of microsatellite polymorphic loci (SAMPL) in order to identify molecular markers in the conifer species Norway spruce (Picea abies K). A total of 366 polymorphic AFLP and 20 polymorphic SAMPL bands were scored, with an average of 12.6 polymorphic bands obtained per primer combination. Of the bands, 94% segregated in a Mendelian fashion, and 14% of the AFLP bands behaved as codominant markers. Norway spruce, as well as other conifers, has a very large genome (1.5–2.5 × 1010 bp) which is thought to be largely composed of repetitive sequences of different origin, either organised in tandem or interspersed in the genome. The high complexity of these genomes has so far hindered the efficient use of multiplexed fingerprinting techniques for their analysis. The use of the methylation-sensitive restriction enzyme PstI as 6 bp cutter allows a reduction in pattern complexity as compared to EcoRI. We thus demonstrated that high-throughput PCR-based multiplex fingerprinting techniques such as AFLP and SAMPL, when opportunely modified, can be effectively applied also to these species and be useful for mapping purposes.
- Ajmone-Marsan P, Valentini A, Vecchiotti Antaldi G, Bertoni G, Kuiper M: AFLP markers for DNA fingerprinting in cattle. Anim Genet, in press.
- Becker J, Vos P, Kuiper M, Salamini F, Heun M: Combined mapping of AFLP and RFLPmarkers in barley. Mol Gen Genet 249: 65–73 (1995).
- Binelli G, Bucci G: A genetic linkage map of Picea abies Karst., based on RAPD markers, as a tool in population genetics. Theor Appl Genet 88: 283–288 (1994).
- Colwyn MT, Vos P, Zabeau M, Jones DA, Norcott KA, Chadwick BP, Jones JDG: Identification of amplified restriction fragment polymorphism (AFLP) markers tightly linked to the tomato Cf-9 gene for resistance to Cladosporium fulvum. Plant J 8: 785–794 (1995).
- De Simone M, Morgante M, Lucchin M, Parrini P, Marocco A: A first linkage map of Chichorium intybus L. using a oneway pseudo-testcross and PCR-derived markers. Mol Breed, in press.
- Gerber S, Rodolphe F: An estimation of the genome length of maritime pine (Pinus pinaster Ait.). Theor Appl Genet 88: 289–292 (1994).
- Kamm A, Doudrick RL, Heslop-Herrison JS, Schmidt T: The genomic and physical organization of Ty1copialike sequences as a component of large genomes in Pinus elliottii var. elliotti and other gymnosperms. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 93: 2708–2713 (1996).
- Lin J, Kuo J: AFLP: a novel PCR-based assay for plant and bacterial DNA fingerprinting. Focus (17)2: 52–56 (1995).
- Messeguer R, Ganal MW, Steffens JC, Tanksley SD: Characterization of the level, target sites and inheritance of cytosine methylation in tomato nuclear DNA. Plant Mol Biol 16: 753–770 (1991).
- Miksche JP: Recent advances of biotechnology and forest trees. For Chron 61: 449–453 (1985).
- Morgante M, Vogel J: Compound microsatellite primers for the detection of genetic polymorphisms. U.S. Patent Appl 08/326456 (1994).
- Pfeiffer A, Olivieri AM, Morgante M: Identification and characterization of microsatellites in Norway spruce (Picea abies K.). Genome 40: 411–419 (1997).
- Silva AJ, White R: Inheritance of allelic blueprints for methylation patterns. Cell 54: 145–152 (1988).
- Smith S, Luk S, Sobral B, Muhawish S, Peleman J, M. Zabeau: Association among inbred lines ofmaize using RFLP and DNA amplification technologies (AFLP and APPCR), and correlations with pedigree, F1 yield and heterosis. Maize Genet Coop Newsl 68: 45 (1994).
- Tulsieram LK, Glaubitz JC, Kiss G, Carlson JE: Singletree genetic linkage mapping in conifers using haploid DNA from megagametophytes. Bio/technology 10: 686–690.
- Vos P, Hogers R, Bleeker M, Reijans M, van de Lee T, Hornes M, Frijters A, Pot J, Peleman J, Kuiper M, Zabeau M: AFLP: a new technique for DNA fingerprinting. Nucl Acids Res 21: 4407–4414 (1995).
- Waugh R, McLean K, Flavell AJ, Pearce SR, Kumar A, Thomas BB, Powell W: Genetic distribution of Bare1like retrotransposable elements in the barley genome revealed by sequence-specific amplification polymorphisms (SSAP). Mol Gen Genet 253: 687–694 (1997).
- Zabeau M, Vos P: European Patent Application, publication EP 0534858 (1993).
- Pcr-based multiplex DNA fingerprinting techniques for the analysis of conifer genomes
Volume 4, Issue 2 , pp 173-177
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- DNA fingerprinting
- genome analysis
- Industry Sectors