Crossing Over Genetic Algorithms: The Sugal Generalised GA
- Andrew Hunter
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Sugal is a major new public-domain software package designed to support experimentation with, and implementation of, Genetic Algorithms. Sugal includes a generalised Genetic Algorithm, which supports the major popular versions of the GA as special cases. Sugal also has integrated support for various datatypes, including real numbers, and features to make hybridisation simple. This paper discusses the Sugal GA, showing how recombining the features of the popular algorithms results in the creation of a number of useful hybrid algorithms.
- Baker, J.E. (1985). “Adaptive Selection Methods for Genetic Algorithms.” Proc. First Int. Conf. on Genetic Algorithms and Their Applications, pp. 101-111.
- Bohachevsky, I.O., M.E. Johnson, and L.S. Myron. (1986). “Generalized Simulated Annealing for Function Optimization,” Technometrics28(3), 209-217.
- Davis, L. (1991). Handbook of Genetic Algorithms. Van Nostrand Reinhold.
- DeJong, K.A. (1975). “An Analysis of the Behavior of a Class of Genetic Adaptive Systems.” Doctoral Dissertation, University of Michigan. Dissertation Abstracts International 36(10), 5140B.
- Fogel, L.J., A.J. Owens, and M.J. Walsh. (1966). Artificial Intelligence Through Simulated Evolution. New York: John Wiley.
- Fogel, D.B., L.J. Fogel, and V.W. Porto. (1990). “Evolving Neural Networks,” Biological Cybernetics63, 487-493.
- Glover, F. (1977). “Heuristics for Integer Programming Using Surrogate Constraints,” Decision Sciences8(1), 156-166.
- Glover, F. (1997). “A Template for Scatter Search and Path Relinking.” In J.K. Hao, E. Lutton, E. Ronald, M. Schoenauer, and D. Snyers (eds.), Lecture Notes in Computer Science, pp. 1-45.
- Goldberg, D. (1989). Genetic Algorithms in Search, Optimization and Machine Learning. Addison-Wesley.
- Harp, S.A., T. Samad, and A. Guha. (1989). “Towards the Genetic Synthesis of Neural Networks.” Int. Conf. on Genetic Algorithms, pp. 360-369.
- Holland, J. (1975). Adaptation in Natural and Artificial Systems. MIT Press.
- Hunter. (1995). “The Sugal Genetic Algorithms Package.” http://osiris.sunderland.ac.uk/ahu/sugal/home.html
- Schwefel, H. (1981). Numerical Optimization of Computer Models. Chicester: John Wiley.
- Whitley, D. (1989). “The GENITOR Algorithm and Selective Pressure: Why Rank-Based Allocation of Reproductive Trials is Best.” Proc. Third Int. Conf. on Genetic Algorithms. Morgan Kauffman.
- Crossing Over Genetic Algorithms: The Sugal Generalised GA
Journal of Heuristics
Volume 4, Issue 2 , pp 179-192
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- genetic algorithms
- simulated annealing
- software package
- Andrew Hunter (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Computing and Information Systems, University of Sunderland, Tyne and Wear, England. E-mail