The Liar-paradox in a Quantum Mechanical Perspective
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
In this paper we concentrate on the nature of the liar paradox asa cognitive entity; a consistently testable configuration of properties. We elaborate further on a quantum mechanical model (Aerts, Broekaert and Smets, 1999) that has been proposed to analyze the dynamics involved, and we focus on the interpretation and concomitant philosophical picture. Some conclusions we draw from our model favor an effective realistic interpretation of cognitive reality.
- Aerts, D.: 1986, A Possible Explanation for the Probabilities of Quantum Mechanics. J. Math. Phys. 27: 202.
- Aerts, D.: 1994, The Biomousa: A New View of Discovery and Creation. In D. Aerts and L. Apostel et al. (eds.), Perspectives on the World. VUBPress.
- Aerts, D.: 1999, The Creation Discovery View and the Layered Structure of Reality. In D. Aerts, H. Van Belle and J. Van der Veken (eds.), Worldviews and the Problem of Synthesis, the Yellow Book of Einstein meets Magritte. Dordrecht: Kluwer Academic.
- Aerts, D. and S. Aerts: 1987, Application of Quantum Statistics in Psychological Studies of Decision Processes. In B. Van Fraassen (ed.), Foundations of Statistics. Dordrecht: Kluwer Academic.
- Aerts, D. and S. Aerts: 1995, Applications of Quantum Statistics in Psychological Studies of Decision Processes. Foundations of Science 1: 85.
- Aerts, D., J. Broekaert and L. Gabora: 1999, The Quantum Nature of Common Processes (in preparation).
- Aerts, D., J. Broekaert and S. Smets: 1999, A Quantum Structure Description of the Liar-paradox. Submitted to International Journal of Theoretical Physics.
- Aerts, D., B. Coecke and S. Smets: 1999, On the Origin of Probabilities in Quantum Mechanics: Creative and Contextual Aspects. In G. Cornelis, S. Smets and J.P. Van Bendegem (eds.), Metadebates on Science, the Blue Book of Einstein meets Magritte. Dordrecht: Kluwer Academic.
- Aerts, D. and T. Durt: 1994, Quantum. Classical and Intermediate, an Illustrative Example. Found. Phys. 24: 1353.
- Aerts, D., T. Durt and B. Van Bogaert: 1993, Quantum Probability, the Classical Limit and Non-Locality. In T. Hyvonen (ed.), Proceedings of the International Symposium on the Foundations of Modern Physics 1992, Helsinki, Finland. Singapore: World Scientific, 35.
- Broekaert, J.: 1999, World Views. Elements of the Apostelian and General Approach. Foundations of Science 3(2): 235.
- CLEA: 1997, Research Project: “Integrating Worldviews: Research on the Interdisciplinary Construction of a Model of Reality with Ethical and Practical Relevance” Ministry of the Flemish Community, dept. Science, Innovation and Media.
- Grim, P.: 1991, The Incomplete Universe, Totality, Knowledge, and Truth. Massachusetts: MIT Press.
- Worldviews Group: D. Aerts, L. Apostel, B. De Moor, E. Maex, S. Hellemans, H. Van Belle and J. Van der Veken: 1994, Worldviews: From Fragmentation to Integration. Brussels: VUB Press.
- Worldviews Group: D. Aerts, L. Apostel, B. De Moor, E. Maex, S. Hellemans, H. Van Belle and J. Van der Veken: 1995, Perspectives on the World: An Interdisciplinary Reflection. Brussels: VUB Press.
- The Liar-paradox in a Quantum Mechanical Perspective
Foundations of Science
Volume 4, Issue 2 , pp 115-132
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- liar paradox
- quantum mechanics