Family Processes in Adolescent Depression
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
A developing body of research points to the role of family relationships and interactions as factors relevant to understanding unipolar depressive symptomatology and disorder in adolescents. This paper is focused on examining mechanisms by which adverse family processes may operate to increase adolescents' vulnerability to depression. The review is organized into a description and evaluation of four potential mechanisms by which families may influence adolescents' risk: (a) Stress/Support, (b) Social Interactional, (c) Cognitive, and (d) Affect Regulation. The presentation of the individual mechanisms is followed by a brief discussion of how they could be integrated to develop a fuller understanding of familial processes relevant to the etiology and maintenance of depressive conditions. Finally, we conclude with a discussion of overall limitations in the literature and recommendations for future research.
- L. A. Bokut', “Embedding algebras in algebraically closed algebras,” Dokl. Akad. Nauk SSSR, 154, No. 5, 963-964 (1962).
- L. A. Bokut', “Embeddings of Lie algebras in algebraically closed Lie algebras,” Algebra Logika, 1, No. 2, 47-53 (1962).
- P. M. Cohn, “Progress in free associative algebras,” Isr. J. Math., 19, Nos. 1/2, 109-151 (1974).
- L. A. Bokut', “Algebraically closed and simple Lie algebras,” Trudy Steklov Inst. Math., 148, 30-42 (1978).
- L. A. Bokut', “Theorems of embedding in the theory of algebras,” Coll. Math., 14, 349-353 (1963).
- L. Makar-Limanov, “Algebraically closed skew fields,” J. Alg., 93, No. 1, 117-135 (1985).
- P. M. Cohn, “A brief history of infinite-dimensional skew fields,” Math. Sc., 17, No. 1, 1-14 (1992).
- R. M. Wood, “Quaternionic eigenvalues,” Bull. London Math. Soc., 17, No. 2(65), 137-138 (1985).
- P. M. Cohn, Free Rings and Their Relations, Academic Press, London (1971).
- L. A. Bokut', “On a problem of Kaplanskii,” Sib. Mat. Zh., 4, No. 6, 1184-1185 (1963).
- N. Jacobson, Structure of Rings, Coll. Publ. Am. Math. Soc., 37 (1964).
- I. M. Gel'fand and V. S. Retakh, “Theory of noncommutative determinants and characteristic functions of graphs,” Funkts. An. Pril., 26, No. 4, 1-20 (1992).
- Family Processes in Adolescent Depression
Clinical Child and Family Psychology Review
Volume 4, Issue 1 , pp 19-35
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- adolescent depression
- family processes
- Industry Sectors