EWS-Based Management Application Interface and Integration Mechanisms for Web-Based Element Management
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Web-based network element management provides an administrator with the ability to configure and monitor network devices over the Internet using a Web browser. The most direct way to accomplish this is to embed a Web server [Embedded Web Server (EWS)] into a network device, and use that server to provide a Web-based management user interface constructed with HTML, graphics, Java and other features common to Web browsers. In this paper we present EWS-based management application interface mechanisms for use between embedded management applications and embedded Web servers. We propose a guideline for choosing an efficient interface mechanism, which is based on the characteristics of management information and Web documents. A Web-based management user interface through embedded Web servers has many advantages such as ubiquity, platform independence and user-friendliness. In order to be truly useful, a Web-based management user interface must have a low development cost and a short development time. We provide effective integration mechanisms for each interface. We validate these mechanisms by implementing them in an Internet router.
- B. McCombie, Embedded Web servers now and in the future, Real-Time Magazine, No. 1, pp. 82-83, March 1998.
- Ian Agranat, Embedded web servers in network devices, Communication Systems Design, pp. 30-36, March 1998.
- H. T. Ju and J. W. Hong, POS-EWS Web compiler for supporting an effective application interface, PIRL-TR-99-003 Technical Report, POSTECH, Korea, December 1999.
- M. J. Choi, H. T. Ju, H. J. Cha, S. H. Kim, and J. W. Hong, An efficient and lightweight embedded web server for web-based network element management, Proc. IEEE/IFIP Network Operations and Management Symposium (NOMS 2000), Hawaii, pp. 187-200, April 2000.
- Hong-Taek Ju, Mi-Joung Choi, and James W. Hong, An efficient and lightweight embedded Web server for Web-based network element management, International Journal of Network Management, Vol. 10, No. 5, pp. 261-275, September/October 2000.
- R. Fielding, J. Gettys, J. Mogul, H. Frystyk Nielsen, L. Masinter, P. Leach, and T. Berners-Lee, Hypertext Transfer Protocol-HTTP/1.1, RFC 2616 IETF HTTP WG, June 1999.
- WBEM, WBEM Initiative, http:/www.dmtf.org/wbem/.
- Sun Microsystems Inc., Java Management Extensions (JMX), http:/java.sun.com/products/JavaManagement/, June 1999.
- Sun Microsystems Inc., Java Management Programmer's Guide, Developer's Release, June 1996.
- D. Raggett, A. Le Hors, and I. Jacobs, HTML 4.01 Specification, IETF HTML WG, http:/www.w3.org/TR/html401, December 24, 1999.
- CGI, <nt>http:/www.w3c.org/cgi</nt>.
- K. Arnold and J. Gosling, The Java Programming Language, Addison-Wesley, 1996.
- T. Berners-Lee, L. Masinter, and M. McCahill, Uniform Resource Locators (URL), RFC1738, December 1994.
- The World Wide Web Security FAQ, <nt>http:/www.w3c.org/Security/faw/wwwsf8.html</nt>.
- Ching-Wun Tsai and Ruay-Shiung Chang, SNMP through WWW, International Journal of Network Management, Vol. 8, pp. 104-119, 1998.
- J. Case, M. Fedor, M. Schoffstall, and C. Davin, The Simple Network Management Protocol (SNMP), RFC 1157, May 1990.
- M. Rose and K. McCloghrie, Structure and Identification of Management Information for TCP/IP based Internets, RFC 1155, May 1990.
- M. J. Choi, H. T. Ju, and J. W. Hong, MIB2HTML Compiler, Technical Report PIRL-TR-99-002, POSTECH, Korea, December 1999.
- R. Fielding, Hypertext Transfer Protocol-HTTP/1.0, RFC 1945, IETF HTTP WG, May 1996.
- Netscape, "An Exploration of Dynamic Documents," http/home.mcom.com/assist/net sites/pushpull.html.
- Hana Systems Inc., <nt>http:/www.hanasys.co.kr</nt>.
- Barry Bruins, Some experiences with emerging management technologies, The Simple Times, Vol. 4, No. 3, pp. 6-8, July, 1996.
- OMG, The Common Object Request Broker: Architecture and Specification, Revision 2.0, July 1995, OMG TC Document.
- J. Y. Kong and J. W. Hong, A CORBA-based Management Framework for Distributed Multimedia Services and Applications, Technical Report PIRL-TR-97-1, POSTECH, Korea, March 1997.
- Sun Microsystems Inc., Java Server Pages, http:/java.sun.com/products/jsp/, February 2000.
- EWS-Based Management Application Interface and Integration Mechanisms for Web-Based Element Management
Journal of Network and Systems Management
Volume 9, Issue 1 , pp 31-50
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- Embedded web server
- web-based network management
- network element management
- management application interface mechanism
- management application integration mechanism
- Industry Sectors