Use of alkaline proteases for ultrafiltration membrane cleaning
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Ability of alkaline proteases to clean ultrafiltration membranes fouled during milk processing was determined in two alkaline UF membrane cleaner, Alconox and Ultrasil. Optimum hydrolysis of milk proteins was observed with 5 g enzyme/l and showed a linear increase in water flux from 37.6 l m−2 h to 212.4 l m−2 h after 0.67 h. Enzyme performance was synergistically enhanced in combination with Alconox cleaner and exhibited 100% flux restoration.
- Cheryan M (1986). Ultrafiltration Handbook, Lancaster: Technomic Publishing Co.
- Hagihara B, Matsubara H, Nakai M, Okunuki K (1958) J. Biochem. 45: 185-194.
- Henz MH, Glatz CE (1991) J. Dairy Sci. 74: 11-19.
- Kumar CG (1997) Studies on microbial alkaline proteases for use in dairy detergents. Ph.D. Thesis, National Dairy Research Institute (Deemed University), Karnal, India.
- Kumar CG, Takagi H (1998) Biotechnol. Adv. (in Press).
- Kumar CG, Malik RK, Tiwari MP, Jany KD (1997) Proceedings of 8th European Congress on Biotechnology, August 17–21, Budapest, Hungary, p. 37.
- Kumar CG, Prasad DN, Tiwari MP (1998) Indian Dairyman 50: 15-19.
- Lee DN, Merson RL (1976) J. Food Sci. 41: 778-786.
- Parkin MF, Marshall KR (1976) New Zealand J. Dairy Sci. Technol. 11: 107-113.
- Renner E, El-Salam A (eds) (1991) Applications of Ultrafiltration in the Dairy Industry, London: Elsevier.
- Smith KE, Bradley RL, Jr (1987) J. Dairy Sci. 70: 243-251.
- Use of alkaline proteases for ultrafiltration membrane cleaning
Volume 13, Issue 4 , pp 235-238
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- alkaline proteases
- membrane cleaning