Continuous solvent production by Clostridium beijerinckii BA101 immobilized by adsorption onto brick
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The performance of a continuous bioreactor containing Clostridium beijerinckii BA101 adsorbed onto clay brick was examined for the fermentation of acetone, butanol, and ethanol (ABE). Dilution rates from 0.3 to 2.5 h−1 were investigated with the highest solvent productivity of 15.8 g l−1 h−1 being obtained at 2.0 h−1. The solvent yield at this dilution rate was found to be 0.38 g g−1 and total solvent concentration was 7.9 g l−1. The solvent yield was maximum at 0.45 at a dilution rate of 0.3 h−1. The maximum solvent productivity obtained was found to be 2.5 times greater than most other immobilized continuous and cell recycle systems previously reported for ABE fermentation. A higher dilution rate (above 2.0 h−1) resulted in acid production rather than solvent production. This reactor was found to be stable for over 550 h. Scanning electron micrographs (SEM) demonstrated that a large amount of C. beijerinckii cells were adsorbed onto the brick support.
- Afschar, A.S., Biebl, H., Schaller, K. & Schugerl, K. 1985 Production of acetone and butanol by Clostridium acetobutylicum in continuous culture with cell recycle. Applied Microbiology and Biotechnology 22, 394-398.
- Annous, B. & Blaschek, H.P. 1991 Isolation and characterization of Clostridium acetobutylicum mutants with enhanced amylolytic activity. Applied and Environmental Microbiology 57, 2544-2548.
- Ennis, B.M., Maddox, I.S. & Schoutens, G.H. 1986 Immobilized Clostridium acetobutylicum for continuous butanol production from whey permeate. New Zealand Journal of Dairy Science and Technology 21, 99-109.
- Fick, M., Pierrot, P. & Engasser, J.M. 1985 Optimal conditions for long-term stability of acetone-butanol production by continuous cultures of Clostridium acetobutylicum. Biotechnology Letters 7, 503-508.
- Forberg, C., Enfors, S-O. & Haggström, L. 1983 Control of immobilized, non growing cells for continuous production of metabolites. European Journal of Applied Microbiology and Biotechnology 17, 143-147.
- Forberg, C. & Haggström, L. 1985 Control of cell adhesion and activity during continuous production of acetone and butanol with adsorbed cells. Enzyme and Microbial Technology 7, 230-234.
- Formanek, J., Mackie, R. & Blaschek, H.P. 1997 Enhanced butanol production by Clostridium beijerinckii BA101 grown in semi-defined P2 medium containing 6 percent maltodextrin or glucose. Applied and Environmental Microbiology 63, 2306-2310.
- Frick, C. & Schugerl, K. 1986 Continuous acetone-butanol production with free and immobilized Clostridium acetobutylicum. Applied Microbiology and Biotechnology 25, 186-193.
- Godin, C. & Engasser, J.M. 1990 Two-stage continuous fermentation of Clostridium acetobutylicum: effects of pH and dilution rate. Applied Microbiology and Biotechnology 33, 269-273.
- Haggström, L. & Molin, N. 1980 Calcium alginate immobilized cells of Clostridium acetobutylicum for solvent production. Biotechnology Letters 2, 241-246.
- Krouwel, P.G., Groot, W.J., Kossen, N.W.F. & van der Lann, W.F.M. 1983 Continuous isopropanol-butanol-ethanol fermentation by immobilized Clostridium beijerinckii cells in a packed bed fermenter. Enzyme and Microbial Technology 5, 46-54.
- Krouwel, P.G., van der Laan, W.F.M. & Kossen, N.W.F. 1980 Continuous production of n-butanol and isopropanol by immobilized growing Clostridium butylicum cells. Biotechnology Letters 2, 253-258.
- Ladisch, M. 1991 Fermentation-derived butanol and scenarios for its uses in energy-related applications. Enzyme and Microbial Technology 13, 280-283.
- Largier, S.T., Long, S., Santangelo, J.D., Jones, D.T. & Woods, D.R. 1985 Immobilized Clostridium acetobutylicum P262 mutants for solvent production. Applied and Environmental Microbiology 50, 477-481.
- Mollah, A.H. & Stuckey, D.C. 1992 The influence of H2, CO2 and dilution rate on the continuous fermentation of acetone-butanol. Applied Microbiology and Biotechnology 37, 533-538.
- Mulchandani, A. & Volesky, B. 1994 Production of acetone-butanol-ethanol by Clostridium acetobutylicum using a spin filter perfusion bioreactor. Journal of Biotechnology 34, 51-60.
- Park, C., Okos, M. & Wankat, P. 1989 Acetone± butanol± ethanol (ABE) fermentation in an immobilized cell trickle bed reactor. Biotechnology and Bioengineering 34, 18-29.
- Park, C., Okos, M. & Wankat, P. 1990 Characterization of an immobilized cell, trickle bed reactor during long term butanol (ABE) fermentation. Biotechnology and Bioengineering 36, 207-217.
- Pierrot, P., Fick, M. & Engasser, J.M. 1986 Continuous acetone-butanol fermentation with high productivity by cell ultrafiltration and recycling. Biotechnology Letters 8, 253-256.
- Qureshi, N. & Blaschek, H.P. 1999 Butanol recovery from model solution/fermentation broth by pervaporation: evaluation of membrane performance. Biomass and Bioenergy 17, 175-184.
- Qureshi, N. & Maddox, I.S. 1987 Continuous solvent production from whey permeate using cells of Clostridium acetobutylicum immobilized by adsorption onto bonechar. Enzyme and Microbial Technology 9, 668-671.
- Qureshi, N. & Maddox, I.S. 1988 Reactor Design for the ABE fermentation using cells of Clostridium acetobutylicum immobilized by adsorption onto bonechar. Bioprocess Engineering 3, 69-72.
- Qureshi, N. & Maddox, I.S. 1991 Integration of continuous production and recovery of solvents from whey permeate: use of immobilized cells of Clostridium acetobutylicum in fluidized bed bioreactor coupled with gas stripping. Bioprocess Engineering 6, 63-69.
- Qureshi, N., Paterson, A.H.J. & Maddox, I.S. 1988 Model for continuous production of solvents from whey permeate in a packed bed reactor using cells of Clostridium acetobutylicum immobilized by adsorption onto bonechar. Applied Microbiology and Biotechnology 29, 323-328.
- Schoutens, G.H., Nieuwenhuizen, M.C.H. & Kossen, N.W.F. 1985 Continuous butanol production from whey permeate with immobilized Clostridium beyerinckii LMD 27.6. Applied Microbiology and Biotechnology 21, 282-286.
- Welsh, F.W., Williams, R.E. & Veliky, I.A. 1987 Solid carriers for a Clostridium acetobutylicum that produces acetone and butanol. Enzyme and Microbial Technology 9, 500-502.
- Continuous solvent production by Clostridium beijerinckii BA101 immobilized by adsorption onto brick
World Journal of Microbiology and Biotechnology
Volume 16, Issue 4 , pp 377-382
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Acetone–butanol–ethanol (ABE) fermentation
- cell immobilization
- Clostridium beijerinckii BA101
- continuous reactor
- Industry Sectors