Translation and validation of the Standard Chinese version of the EORTC QLQ-C30
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
The majority of quality of life (QOL) questionnaires have been developed and used in English-speaking or Western European countries. The aims of this study were to provide the Standard Chinese version of the European Organization for Research and Treatment of Cancer Quality of Life Core Questionnaire (EORTC QLQ-C30 version 2.0), and evaluate its psychometric properties. The translation process included independent translation, back translation, a pilot test with gynecological cancer patients, and a review and approval by the original developers. Participants in the major study included gestational trophoblastic disease patients (n = 68), ovarian cancer patients (n = 105), and other types of gynecological cancer patients (n = 18). The average completion time of the Standard Chinese version was 8.1 ± 2.9 min. All item-subscale correlation coefficients exceeded the criterion of item-convergent validity (r > 0.40) except item 1, 5, 20, and 25, and all items correlated significantly higher with their own subscale than with other subscales except item 1, 20, and 25. The correlation coefficients among all subscales were significant but modest (r = 0.40–0.70). Seven out of nine subscales met the minimal standards of reliability (Cronbach's α > 0.70). In conclusion, the Standard Chinese version of the EORTC QLQ-C30 is a valid instrument overall in assessing the QOL of Chinese gynecological cancer patients.
- Cai RH, Zhu QS, Liu YQ, et al. Yearbook of Public Health in the People's Republic of China. People's Medical Pub-lishing House, Beijing, China, 1997: 426 (in Chinese).
- Chen H, Hu M, Xie F, et al. Test for the scale of quality of life for nasopharyngeal carcinoma (SQOL-NPC). J First Army Med Coll 1996; 16(1): 28-30 (in Chinese).
- Chen H, Hu M, Hong M. Studies on the scale for quality of life for patients with nasopharyngeal carcinoma. Chin J Prev Med 1996; 30: 229-230 (in Chinese).
- Luo J, Sun Y, Zhao S. Development of quality of life questionnaire for Chinese cancer patients receiving chemobiotherapy. Chin J Oncol 1997; 19: 437-441 (in Chinese).
- Fayers P, Aaronson NK, Bjordal K, Sullivan M. EORTC QLQ-C30 Scoring Manual. EORTC Quality of Life Group, Brussels, Belgium, 1995.
- Ngan HYS, personal communication, 1998.
- Hays RD, Hayashi T, Carson S, et al. User's Guide for the Multitrait Analysis Program (MAP). Rand Corporation, Santa Monica, Calif, 1988.
- Stewart AL, Hays RD, Ware JE Jr. The MOS short-form general health survey: Reliability and validity in a patient population. Med Care 1988; 26: 724-735.
- Cronbach LJ. Coefficient alpha and the internal structure of tests. Psychometrika 1951; 16: 297.
- Aaronson NK, Ahmedzai S, Bergman B, et al. The Euro-pean Organization for Research and Treatment of Cancer QLQ-C30: A quality-of-life instrument for use in interna-tional clinical trials in oncology. J Natl Cancer Inst 1993; 85: 365-376.
- Kaasa S, Bjordal K, Aaronson N, et al. The EORTC Core Quality of Life Questionnaire (QLQ-C30): Validity and re-liability when analyzed with patients treated with palliative radiotherapy. Eur J Cancer 1995; 31A(13/14): 2260-2263.
- Osoba D, Aaronson N, Zee B, Sprangers M. te Velde A. Modification of the EORTC QLQ-C30 (version 2.0) based on content validity and reliability testing in large samples of patients with cancer. Qual Life Res 1997; 6: 103-108.
- Ringdal GI, Ringdal K. Testing the EORTC Quality of Life Questionnaire on cancer patients with heterogeneous diagnoses. Qual Life Res 1993; 2: 129-140.
- Osoba D, Zee B, Pater J, et al. Psychometric properties and responsiveness of the EORTC Quality of Life Question-naire (QLQ-C30) in patients with breast, ovarian and lung cancer. Qual Life Res 1994; 3: 353-364.
- The International Federation of Gynecology and Obstetrics (FIGO) Annual Report on the Results of Treatment in Gynecological Cancer. 1985; 19: 280.
- The International Federation of Gynecology and Obstetrics (FIGO) cancer committee. Staging Announcement. West Berlin, German. September 1985. Gynecol Oncol1986; 25: 383.
- Translation and validation of the Standard Chinese version of the EORTC QLQ-C30
Quality of Life Research
Volume 9, Issue 2 , pp 129-137
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- EORTC QLQ-C30
- Gynecological cancer
- Psychometric property
- Quality of life
- Standard Chinese
- Industry Sectors