On the Simulation of Large Populations of Neurons
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The dynamics of large populations of interacting neurons is investigated. Redundancy present in subpopulations of cortical networks is exploited through the introduction of a probabilistic description. A derivation of the kinetic equations for such subpopulations, under general transmembrane dynamics, is presented.
The particular case of integrate-and-fire membrane dynamics is considered in detail. A variety of direct simulations of neuronal populations, under varying conditions and with as many as O(105) neurons, is reported. Comparison is made with analogous kinetic equations under the same conditions. Excellent agreement, down to fine detail, is obtained. It is emphasized that no free parameters enter in the comparisons that are made.
- Abeles, M (1991) Corticonics: Neural Circuits of the Cerebral Cortex. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge
- Abbott, LF, van Vreeswijk, C (1993) Asynchronous states in networks of pulse-coupled oscillators. Phys. Rev. E. 48: pp. 1483-1490
- Albrecht, TD, Geisler, WS (1994) Visual cortex neurons in monkey and cat: Contrast response nonlinearities and stimulus selectivity. Proceedings SPIE-The International Society for Optical Engineering 2054: pp. 12-31
- Blasdel, GG (1992) Differential imaging of ocular dominance and orientation selectivity in monkey striate cortex. J. Neurosco. 12: pp. 3115-3138
- Blasdel, GG (1992) Orientation selectivity, preference, and continuity in monkey striate cortex. J. Neurosci. 12: pp. 3139-3161
- Chawanya, T, Aoyagi, T, Nishikawa, I, Okuda, K, Kuramoto, Y (1993) A model for feature linking via collective oscillations in the primary visual cortex. Biological Cybernetics 68: pp. 483-490
- Chee-Orts M-N, Purpura KP, Optican LM (1996) A dynamical model of the primate's early visual pathway: Effect of luminance contrast, spatial scale, and spatial orientation in shaping neuronal firing patterns. Unpublished report.
- Everson, RM, Prashanth, AK, Gabbay, M, Knight, BW, Sirovich, L, Kaplan, E (1998) Representation of spatial frequency and orientation in the visual cortex. Proceedings of the National Academy of Science 95: pp. 8334-8338
- Ferster, D, Chuing, S, Wheat, H (1996) Orientation selectivity of thalamic input to simple cells of cat visual cortex. Nature 380: pp. 249-252
- Gerstner W. Time structure of the activity in neural network models. Phys. Rev. E. 51:738-758.
- Gerstner, W, van Hemmen, JL, Cowan, JD (1996) What matters in neuronal locking?. Neural Computation 8: pp. 1653-1676
- Golomb, D, Rinzel, J (1993) Dynamics of globally coupled inhibitory neurons with heterogeneity. Physical Review E 48: pp. 4810-4814
- Grinvald, A, Bonhoeffer, T, Malonek, D, Shoham, D, Bartfeld, E, Arieli, A, Hildesheim, R, Ratzlaff, E Optical imaging of architecture and function in the living brain. In: Squire, LR, Weinberger, NM, Lynch, G, McGaugh, JL eds. (1991) Memory: Organization Locus of Change. Oxford University Press, Oxford, Oxford, pp. 49-85
- Hubel, DH, Wiesel, TN (1962) Reception fields, binocular interaction and functional architecture in the cats visual cortex. J. Physiol. Lond. 160: pp. 106-154
- Johannesma PIM (1969) Stochastic Neural Activity: A Theoretical Investigation. Ph.D. thesis, Nijmegen.
- Keener, J, Sneyd, J (1998) Mathematical Physiology. Springer-Verlag, New York
- Knight, BW (1972) Dynamics of encoding in a population of neurons. J. Gen. Physiol. 59: pp. 734-766
- Knight BW (1998) Dynamics of encoding in Neuron populations: Some general mathematical features. Submitted for publication.
- Knight, BW, Manin, D, Sirovich, L Dynamical models of interacting neuron populations. In: Gerf, E. C. eds. (1996) Symposium on Robotics and Cybernetics: Computational Engineering in Systems Applications. Cite Scientifique, Lille, France
- Kuramoto, Y (1991) Collective synchronization of pulse-coupled oscillators and excitable units. Physica D 50: pp. 15-30
- McLaughlin D, Shapley R, Shelley M, Wielaard J (1998) Models of neuronal dynamics in the visual cortex. In preparation.
- Mirollo, E, Strogatz, SH (1990) Synchronization of pulse-coupled biological oscillators. SIAM J. Appl. Math. 50: pp. 1645-1662
- Nykamp D, Tranchina D (1998) A population density approach that facilitates large-scale modeling of neural networks: Analysis On the Simulation of Large Populations of Neurons 63 and an application to orientation tuning. Submitted for publication.
- Omurtag, A, Knight, B, Kaplan, E, Sirovich, L (1999) Efficient simulation of large neuronal populations: An investigation of orientation tuning in the visual cortex. Invest. Opthalmol. Visual Sci. 40: pp. S3018
- Peskin, CS (1975) Mathematical Aspects of Heart Physiology. Courant Institute of Mathematical Sciences. New York University, New York
- Ringach, D, Hawken, M, Shapley, R (1997) Dynamics of orientation tuning in macaque primary visual cortex. Nature 387: pp. 281-284
- Schuster, HG, Wagner, P (1990) A model for neuronal oscillations in the visual cortex. J. Biol. Cybernetics. 64: pp. 77-85
- Segev, I, Rinzel, I, Shepherd, G (1995) The Theoretical Foundation of Dendritic Function: Selected Papers of Wilfrid Rall with Commentaries. MIT Press, Cambridge, MA
- Singer, W, Gray, C (1995) Visual feature integration and the temporal correlation hypothesis. Annual Review of Neuroscience. 18: pp. 555-586
- Sillito, AM (1975) The contribution of inhibitory mechanisms to the receptive field properties of neurones in the striate cortex of cat. J. Physiol 250: pp. 305-329
- Sirovich, L, Everson, R, Kaplan, E, Knight, BW, O'Brien, E, Orbach, D (1996) Modeling the functional organization of the visual cortex. Physica D 96: pp. 355-366
- Sirovich L, Knight BW, Omurtag A (1998) Dynamics of neuronal populations: The stability of equilibrium solution. Submitted for publication.
- Sirovich L, Knight BW, Omurtag A (1999) Dynamics of Neuronal Populations: Stability theory. In preparation.
- Somers, DC, Nelson, SB, Sur, M (1995) An emergent model of orientation selectivity in cat visual cortex simple cells. J. Neurosci. 15: pp. 5448-5465
- Sompolinsky, H, Golomb, D, Kleinfeld, D (1991) Cooperative dynamics in visual processing. Phys. Rev. A 43: pp. 6990-7011
- Tsodyks, M, Mitkov, I, Sompolinsky, H (1993) Pattern of synchrony in inhomogeneous networks of oscillators with pulse interactions. Physical Review Letters 71: pp. 1280-1283
- Tuckwell, HC (1988) Introduction to Theoretical Neurobiology. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge
- Usher, M, Schuster, HG, Niebur, E (1993) Dynamics of populations of integrate-and-fire neurons, partial synchronization and memory. Neural Computation 5: pp. 570-586
- Wilbur, WJ, Rinzel, J (1982) An analysis of Stein's model for stochastic neuronal excitation. Biol. Cybern. 45: pp. 107-114
- Worgotter, F, Koch, C (1991) A detailed model of the primary visual pathway in the cat: Comparision of afferent excitatory and intracortical inhibitory connection schemes for orientation selectivity. J. Neurosci. 11: pp. 1959-1979
- On the Simulation of Large Populations of Neurons
Journal of Computational Neuroscience
Volume 8, Issue 1 , pp 51-63
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Laboratory of Applied Mathematics, Mount Sinai School of Medicine, One Gustave L. Levy Place, New York, NY, 10029
- 2. The Rockefeller University, 1230 York Avenue, New York, NY, 10021;
- 3. Laboratory of Applied Mathematics, Mount Sinai School of Medicine, One Gustave L. Levy Place, New York, NY, 10029