Feather degradation with a thermotolerant Streptomyces graminofaciens strain
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
A thermotolerant Streptomyces graminofaciens was isolated which could digest chicken feather at 40 ∘C very efficiently. The majority of the fragments produced during feather digestion was in the range of colloid particles or even smaller. The maximum amount of feather in the medium which could be digested in 1 week in submerged culture was 10%. The procedure did not require previous mechanical disruption of the feather which makes the application fast and easy.
- Böckle, B., Galunsky, B. & Müller, R. 1995 Characterization of a keratinolytic serine proteinase from Streptomyces pactum DSM 40530. Applied and Environmental Microbiology 61, 3705-3710.
- Friedrich, A.B. & Antranikian, G. 1996 Keratin degradation by Fervidobacterium pennavorans, a novel thermophilic anaerobic species of the order thermotogales. Applied and Environmental Microbiology 62, 2875-2882.
- Lin, X., Lee, Ch.-G., Casale, E.S. & Shih, J.C.H. 1992 Purification and characterization of a keratinase from a feather-degrading Bacillus licheniformis strain. Applied and Environmental Microbiology 58, 3271-3275.
- Noval, J.J. & Nickerson, W.J. 1959 Decomposition of native keratin by Streptomyces fradiae. Journal of Bacteriology 77, 251-263.
- Szabó, G., Barabás, G. & Vályi-Nagy, T. 1961 Comparison of Streptomyces griseus strains which produce streptomycin and those which do not. Archives of Microbiology 40, 261-274.
- Takiouchi, I., Higuchi, D., Sei, Y. & Koga, M. 1982 Isolation of an extracellular proteinase keratinase from Microsporum canis. Sabouradia 20, 281-283.
- Williams, C.M., Richter, C.S., MacKenzie, J.M. Jr. & Shih, J.C.H. 1990 Isolation, identi®cation and characterization of a feather-degrading bacterium. Applied and Environmental Microbiology 56, 1509-1515.
- Feather degradation with a thermotolerant Streptomyces graminofaciens strain
World Journal of Microbiology and Biotechnology
Volume 16, Issue 3 , pp 253-255
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Feather degradation
- Streptomyces graminofaciens
- thermotolerant strain
- Industry Sectors