Structural investigation of CuO containing strontium-borate glasses by means of EPR and IR spectrometry
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Two vitreous oxide systems, i.e. 2B2O3 · SrO and 2B2O3 · SrF2 containing CuO within a wide range of concentration, were investigated. The influence of a gradual increase in CuO content on the glass structure and the effect of the oxygen partial replacement by fluorine atoms were revealed. EPR absorption spectra show Cu2+ ions in axially distorted octahedral environments. No clusters of Cu2+ ions were detected. Mixed valence states of copper ions were revealed, especially at high CuO content. The influence of composition changes when using SrO or SrF2 as network-modifiers upon the valence state and distribution of copper ions was also revealed. By means of IR spectroscopy the dependence of the BO4\BO3 ratio on the CuO content and the presence of F atoms in the glass matrix was estimated.
- D. L. GRISCOM, Glass Sci. Technol. 48 (1990) 151.
- G. E. JELLINSON and P. J. BRAY, J. Non-Cryst. Solids 29 (1978) 187.
- P. J. BRAY, “Borate Glasses”, (Plenum Press, New York, 1978).
- S. SIMON and AL. NICULA, Solid State Commun. 3 (1981) 1251.
- H. IMAGAWA, Phys. Status Solidi 30 (1968) 469.
- L. D. BOGOMOLOVA. J. Mag. Res. 15 (1974) 283.
- H. KAWAZOE, H. HOSONO and H. HOKUMAI, J. Non-Cryst. Solids 51 (1982) 389.
- I. ARDELEAN, GH. ILONCA and M. PETEANU, ibid. 51 (1982) 389.
- I. ARDELEAN, O. COZAR and GH. ILONCA, Solid State Commun. 43 (1982) 707.
- M. PETEANU, I. ARDELEAN, S. FILIP and F. CIORCAS, J. Mater Sci.: Mater. Electron. 7 (1996) 165.
- I. ARDELEAN, M. PETEANU, E. BURZO and F. CIORCAS, Solid State Commun. 98 (1996) 351.
- J. WANG and C. A. ANGELL, “Glass Structure by Spectroscopy” (Marcel Dekker, New York, 1976) p. 409.
- E. I. KAMITSOS, J. A. KAPOUTSIS, H. JAIN and C. H. HSICH, J. Non-Cryst. Solids 171 (1994) 31.
- N. TOHGE and T. MINAMI, ibid. 112 (1989) 432.
- I. BRATU, D. MANIU, I. ARDELEAN and O. COZAR, Rom. J. Phys. 43 (1998) 361.
- M. PETEANU, L. COCIU and I. ARDELEAN, Studia Univ. Babes-Bolyai, Physica 37 (1992) 1.
- I. ARDELEAN, M. PETEANU, V. SIMON, O. COZAR, F. CIORCAS and S. LUPSOR, J. Magn. Magn. Mater. 196–197 (1999) 253.
- F. F. BENTLEY, L. D. SMITHSON and A. L. OZEK, “Infrared Spectra and Characteristic Frequencies 700–300 cm–1” (Interscience, New York, 1968) p. 100.
- B. SHARMA, D. DUBC and A. MANSINGH, J. Non-Cryst. Solids 69 (1984) 39.
- C. S. SUNDANDANA and R. SINGH, Phys. Status Solidi (A) (1983) K91.
- E. CULEA, I. BRATU and AL. NICULA, ibid. 83 (1984) K15.
- C. N. R. RAO, “Chemical Applications of Infrared Spectroscopy” (Acadamic Press, New York, 1963)
- Structural investigation of CuO containing strontium-borate glasses by means of EPR and IR spectrometry
Journal of Materials Science: Materials in Electronics
Volume 11, Issue 1 , pp 11-16
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors