The EORTC breast cancer-specific quality of life questionnaire (EORTC QLQ-BR23): Translation and validation study of the Iranian version
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The objective of this study was to test the reliability and validity of the Iranian version of the European Organization for Research and Treatment of Cancer (EORTC) Breast Cancer-Specific Quality of Life Questionnaire (QLQ-BR23). The English-language version of the questionnaire was translated into Persian (Iranian language) and its final form was approved by the EORTC Study Group on Quality of Life and then it was used in this study. The questionnaire was administered at two points in time to a consecutive sample of 168 newly diagnosed breast cancer patients and almost all of them (99%) found the questions easy to understand and acceptable. Cronbach's α coefficient for multi-item scales (to test reliability) ranged from 0.63 to 0.95 at baseline and from 0.75 to 0.92 at follow-up administration of the questionnaire. Validity analysis was performed using known-groups' comparison analysis. The results showed that all functional and symptom scales discriminated between sub-groups of patients differing in clinical status as defined by their performance status and disease stage. In addition, all functional and symptoms scales detected change over time, as a function of changes in patients' performance status. In general, the findings of this study indicated that the Iranian version of the EORTC QLQ-BR23 is a reliable and valid supplementary measure of the quality of life in breast cancer patients and can be used in clinical trials and studies of outcome research in oncology.
- Gill TM, Feinstein AR. A critical appraisal of the quality of life measurements. JAMA 1994; 272: 619-626.
- Fallowfield L. Quality of quality of life data. Lancet 1996; 348: 421.
- Sanders C, Egger M, Donovan J, Tallon D, Frankel S. Reporting on quality of life in randomized controlled trials: bibliographic study. Br Med J 1998; 317: 1191-1194.
- Winer EP. Quality of life research in patients with breast cancer. Cancer 1994; 74: 410-415.
- Bowling A. Measuring disease: a review of disease-specific quality of life measurement scales. Buckingham: Open University Press, 1995.
- Montazeri A, Harirchi I, Vahdani M, et al. The Euro-pean Organization for research and Treatment of Cancer Quality of Life Questionnaire (EORTC QLQ-C30): translation and validation study of the Iranian version. Support Care Cancer 1999; 7: 400-406.
- Sprangers MAG, Groenvold M, Arraras JI, et al. The European Organization for Research and Treatment of Cancer Breast Cancer-Specific Quality of Life Question-naire module: first results from a three-country field study. J Clin Oncol 1996; 14: 2756-2768.
- Cull A, Sprangers M, Aaronson N. EORTC quality of life study group translation procedure (Internal report). Brussels: EORTC Quality of Life Study Group, 1994.
- Zubord CG, Scheiderman MA, Frei E. Appraisal of methods for the study of chemotherapy in man: compara-tive therapeutic trial of nitrogen mustard and triethylene thiopphosphoramide. J Chro Dis 1960; 11: 7-33.
- Cronbach LJ. Coefficient alpha and the internal structure of tests. Psychometrika 1951; 16: 297-334.
- Nunnally JC. Psychometric theory. New York: McGraw-Hill, 1994.
- Kerlinger FN. Foundations of behavioral research. New York: Holt, Rinehart & Winston, 1973.
- Fayers P, Aaronson N, Bjordal, Sullivan M. EORTC-C30 scoring manual. Brussels: EORTC Study Group on Quality of Life, 1995.
- Hunt SM. Cross-cultural issues in the use of sociomedical indicators. Health Policy 1986; 6: 149-158.
- Hunt SM, Alonso J, Bucquet D, Niero M, Wiklund I, McKenna S. Cross cultural adaptation of health measures. Health Policy 1991; 19: 33-44.
- Brady MJ, Cella DF, Mo F, et al. Reliability and validity of the Functional Assessment of Cancer Therapy Breast quality oflife instrument. J Clin Oncol 1997; 15: 974-986.
- Cella D, Hernandez L, Bonomi AE, et al. Spanish language translation and initial validation of the functional assess-ment of cancer therapy quality of life. Med Care 1998; 36: 1407-1418.
- Hann DM, Jacobsen PB, Azzarello LM, et al. Measure-ment of fatigue in cancer patients: development and validation of the Fatigue Symptom Inventory. Qual Life Res 1998; 7: 301-310.
- Bjordal K, Hammerlid E, Ahlner-Elmqvist M, et al. Quality of life in head and neck cancer patients: validation of the European Organization for Research and Cancer Treatment Quality of Life Questionnaire-H&N35. J Clin Oncol 1999; 17: 1008-1019.
- Kobayashi K, Takeda F, Teramukai S, et al. A cross-vali-dation of the European Organization for Research and Treatment of Cancer QLQ-C30 (EORTC QLQ-C30) for Japanese with lung cancer. Eur J Cancer 1998; 34: 810-815.
- Aaronson NK, Ahmedzai S, Bergman B, et al. The Euro-pean Organization for Research and Treatment of Cancer QLQ-C30: a quality of life instrument for use in interna-tional clinical trials in oncology. J Natl Cancer Inst 1993; 85: 365-376.
- Sprangers MAG, Cull A, Bjordal K, Groenvold M, Aaronson NK. The European Organization for Research and Treatment of Cancer approach to quality of life assessment: guideline for developing questionnaire modules. Qual Life Res 1993; 2: 287-295.
- Sprangers MAG, Cull A, Groenvold M, Bjordal K, Blazeby J, Aaronson NK. The European Organization for Research and Treatment of Cancer approach to developing questionnaire modules: an update and overview. Qual Life Res 1998; 7: 291-300.
- The EORTC breast cancer-specific quality of life questionnaire (EORTC QLQ-BR23): Translation and validation study of the Iranian version
Quality of Life Research
Volume 9, Issue 2 , pp 177-184
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Breast cancer
- EORTC QLQ-BR23
- Quality of life
- Validation study
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Iranian Centre for Breast Cancer (ICBC), Tehran, Iran
- 2. Iranian Centre for Breast Cancer (ICBC), Tehran, Iran
- 3. Iranian Centre for Breast Cancer (ICBC), Tehran, Iran
- 4. Iranian Centre for Breast Cancer (ICBC), Tehran, Iran