Leptin and insulin growth factor I in relation to breast cancer (Greece)
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Objectives: Because both breast cancer and the hormone leptin are associated with obesity and reproductive phenomena in women, we have examined whether there is a relationship between leptin and breast cancer among premenopausal and postmenopausal women. We have also evaluated in this dataset the association of IGF-I with breast cancer.
Methods: Seventy-five cases, diagnosed during mammographic screening, with incident breast cancer were matched for age and type of permanent residence with seventy-five controls from those screened negative in the same study base.
Results: There was no evidence for an association between IGF-I and either premenopausal or postmenopausal breast cancer risk or between leptin and postmenopausal breast cancer. Among premenopausal women, however, there was a strong and statistically significant inverse association of leptin with breast cancer.
Conclusion: We did not confirm the positive association, reported from other investigations, of IGF-I with premenopausal breast cancer risk. We have found evidence, however, that leptin may be inversely related to breast cancer risk among premenopausal women. The latter finding is not biologically implausible and deserves to be examined in additional datasets.
- Zhang Y, Proenca R, Maffei M, Barone M, Leopold L, Friedman JM (1994) Positional cloning of the mouse obese gene and its human homologue. Nature 372: 425–432.
- Campfield LA, Smith FJ, Guisez Y, Devos R, Burn P (1995) Recombinant mouse OB protein: evidence for a peripheral signal linking adiposity and central neural networks. Science 269: 546–549.
- Frederich RC, Hamann A, Anderson S, Lollmann B, Lowell BB, Flier JS (1995) Leptin levels reflect body lipid content in mice: evidence for diet-induced resistance to leptin action. Nat Med 1: 1311–1314.
- Maffei M, Halaas J, Ravussin E, et al. (1995) Leptin levels in human and rodent: measurement of plasma leptin and ob RNA in obese and weight-reduced subjects. Nat Med 1: 1155–1161.
- Caro JF, Sinha MK, Kolaczynski JW, Zhang PL, Considine RV (1996) Leptin: the tale of an obesity gene. Diabetes 45: 1455–1462.
- Tritos NA, Mantzoros CS (1997) Leptin: its role in obesity and beyond. Diabetologia 40: 1371–1379.
- Montague CT, Farooqi IS, Whitehead JP (1997) Congenital leptin deficiency is associated with severe early-onset obesity in humans. Nature 387: 903–908.
- Garcia-Mayor RV, Andrade MA, Rios M, Lage M, Dieguez C, Casanuera FF (1997) Serum leptin levels in normal children: relationship to age, gender, body mass index, pituitary-gonadal hormones, and pubertal stage. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 82: 2849–2855.
- Mantzoros CS, Flier JS, Rogol AD (1997) A longitudinal assessment of hormonal and physical alterations during normal puberty in boys. V. Rising leptin levels may signal the onset of puberty. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 82: 1066–1070.
- Barash IA, Cheung CC, Weigle DS (1996) Leptin is a metabolic signal to the reproductive system. Endocrinology 137: 3144–3147.
- Matkovic V, Ilich JZ, Skugor M, et al. (1997) Leptin is inversely related to age at menarche in human females. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 82: 3239–3245.
- Hardie L, Trayhurn P, Abramovich D, Fowler P (1997) Circulating leptin in women: a longitudinal study in the menstrual cycle and during pregnancy. Clin Endocrinol 47: 101–106.
- Kelsey JL (1993) Breast cancer epidemiology: summary and future directions. Epidemiology 15: 256–263.
- Lipworth L (1995) Epidemiology of breast cancer. Eur J Cancer Prev 4: 7–30.
- Mantzoros CS, Bolhke K, Moschos S, Cramer DW (1999) Leptin in relation to carcinoma in situ of the breast: a study of premenopausal cases and controls. Int J Cancer 80: 523–526.
- Bohlke K, Cramer DW, Trichopoulos D, Mantzoros CS (1998) Insulin-like growth factor-I in relation to premenopausal ductal carcinoma in situ of the breast. Epidemiology 9: 570–573.
- Peyrat JP, Bonneterre J, Hecquet B, et al. (1993) Plasma insulin-like growth factor-I (IGF-I) concentrations in human breast cancer. Eur J Cancer 29A: 492–497.
- Bruning PF, Van Doorn J, Bonfrer JM, et al. (1995) Insulin-like growth-factor-binding protein 3 is decreased in early-stage operable pre-menopausal breast cancer. Int J Cancer 62: 266–270.
- Hankinson SE, Willett WC, Conditz GA, et al. (1998) Circulating concentrations of insulin-like growth factor-I and risk of breast cancer. Lancet 351: 1393–1396.
- Mantzoros CS, Tzonou A, Signorello LB, Stampfer M, Trichopoulos D, Adami H-O (1997) Insulin-like growth factor I in relation to prostate cancer and benign prostatic hyperplasia. Br J Cancer 76: 1115–1118.
- Chan JM, Stampfer MJ, Giovannucci E, et al. (1998) Circulating insulin-like growth factor-1 and prostate cancer risks: a prospective study. Science 279: 563–566.
- Wolk A, Mantzoros CS, Andersson SO, et al. (1998) Insulin-like growth factor 1 and prostate cancer risk: a population-based, case-control study. J Natl Cancer Inst 90: 911–915.
- Leptin and insulin growth factor I in relation to breast cancer (Greece)
Cancer Causes & Control
Volume 11, Issue 5 , pp 383-388
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- breast cancer
- insulin growth factor I
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Hygiene and Epidemiology, Athens University Medical School, 75 M. Asias Str., Goudi T.K., 115 27, Athens, Greece
- 2. Department of Epidemiology, Harvard School of Public Health, 677 Huntington Ave., Boston, MA, 02115, USA
- 3. “Marika Heliadi” Maternity Hospital, Athens University Medical School, 75 M. Asias Str., Athens, 115 27, Greece
- 4. 2nd Department of Surgery, Laiko Hospital, Athens University Medical School, 75 M. Asias Str., Athens, 115 27, Greece
- 5. International Diagnostic Centre, BIOMED, 2-6 Michalakopoulou Str., Athens, 115 28, Greece