Parental quality of life and recurrent ENT infections in their children: development of a questionnaire
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
During the first 4 years of life, children develop ear, nose and throat (ENT) infections because their immune system is not fully mature. Some of them will develop a recurrence and repetition of these episodes might have impact on the parents' quality of life. Based on a literature review, face to face interviews with parents and meetings with a paediatrician, a 17 item French questionnaire has been devised in order to evaluate the specific impairment of parents' quality of life during a winter season. Cultural adaptations were made for Italy, Germany, Portugal and the Czech Republic. This questionnaire was completed by 1,214 parents in a longitudinal survey. The questionnaire was reduced to 14 items and three scores were identified through principal component analysis: an emotional score (eight items), a daily disturbance score (six items) and a global score (14 items). Construct validity was confirmed through multitrait analysis and internal consistency reliability confirmed using Cronbach's α. The emotional score was found to be linked to the number and type of ENT episodes while the daily disturbance score was linked to social consequences. The global score was linked to both aspects, demonstrating the clinical validity. This questionnaire is therefore able to measure the cumulative effect of recurrence of children's ENT infections on their parents' quality of life in France, Italy, Germany, Portugal and the Czech Republic.
- André MJ. Infections of the Ear, Nose and Throat. Essentials of Infectious Diseases. Oxford: Blackwell Scientific Publications, 1995: 155-73.
- Clements DA, Langdon L, Bland C, Walter E. Influenza A vaccine decreases the incidence of otitis media in 6-month to 30-month-old children in day care. Arch Paediatr Adolescent Med 1995; 149: 1113-1117.
- Turner Ronald B. The epidemiology, pathogenesis and treatment of the common cold. Sem Pediatr Infect Dis 1995; 6(2): 57-61.
- Le Fur P, Sermet C. Rhino-pharyngites et Antibiothérapie en 1992. Paris: Centre de Recherche d'Etude et Documentation en Economie de la Santé, 1995.
- Perrin P, Lascombes G. Les indications d'un bilan immunitaire dans les infections ORL récidivantes de l'enfant. Rev Laryngol 1989; 100(2): 137-140.
- Cherry JD. Pharyngitis (pharyngitis, tonsillitis, tonsillopharygitis and nasopharyngitis). In: Cherry JD, ed. Pediatric Infectious Disease. Philadelphia: WB Saunders, 1992: 159-166.
- Dingle JH, Badger GF, Jordan WS. Illness in the home: a study of 25,000 illnesses in a group of Cleveland families. Cleveland, OH: Case Western Reserve University Press, 1964: 398.
- Monto AS, Ullman BM. Acute respiratory illness in an American community: the Tecumseh study. JAMA 1974; 227: 164-169.
- Floret D. La santé de l'enfant en crèche et ses conséquences socio-économiques: l'étude santé-enfantcrèche. Pédiatrie 1991; 46(8/9):14-7.
- Fleming DW, Cochi SL, Hightower AW, Broome CV. Childhood upper respiratory tract infection: to what degree is incidence affected by day-care attendance? Pediatrics 1987; 79: 55-60.
- Heikkinen T, Ruuskanen O, Ziegler T, Waris M, Puhakka H. Short term use of amoxicillin-clavulanate during upper respiratory tract infection for prevention of acute otitis media. J. Pediatr 1995; 126: 313-328.
- Aymard M, Chomel JJ, Allard JP, Thouvenot D, Floret D, Boissel JP et al. Epidemiology of viral infections and evaluation of the potential benefit of OM-85 BV on the virologic status of children attending day-care centre. Respiration 1994; 61(Suppl 1): 24-31.
- Vautel JM, Cauquil J, Perruchet AM, Thomas AM. Prevention of recurrent ear, nose and throat infections in young children with ribomunyl: a double blind, placebo controlled study. Curr Ther Res 1993; 53(6): 722-730.
- Banz K, Schwicker D, Thomas AM. Economic evaluation of immunoprophylaxis in children with recurrent ear, nose and throat infections. PharmacoEconomics 1994; 6(5): 464-477.
- Juniper EF, Guyatt GH, Jaeschke R. How to develop and validate a new health related quality of life instrument. In: Spilker B, ed. Quality of Life and Pharmacoeconomics in Clinical Trials, 2nd edn. Philadelphia: Lippincott-Raven 1996; 49-56.
- Guyatt GH, Bombardier C, Tugwell PX. Measuring disease specific quality of life in clinical trials. Can Med Assoc J 1986; 134: 889-895.
- Kirshner B, Guyatt G. A methodological framework for assessing health indices. J Chronic Dis 1985; 38:27-36.
- Cappelli M, McGrath P, Daniels T, Manion I, Schillinger J. Marital quality of parents of children with spina bifida: case-comparison study. J Devel Behav Pediatra 1994; 15: 320-326.
- Cook J, Lefley H, Pickett S, Cohler B. Age and family burden among parents of offspring with severe mental illness. Am J Orthopsychiatr 1994; 64(3): 435-447.
- Duclaux L, De Potter S, Pharaon I, Olives JP, Hermier M. Qualité de vie des enfants en nutrition parentérale à domicile et de leurs parents. Pediatrie 1993; 7/8: 555-560.
- Hoarse P, Russel M. The quality of life of children with chronic epilepsy and their families: preliminary findings with a new assessment measure. Devel Med Child Neurol 1995; 37: 689-696.
- Hymovich D. Development of the Chronicity Impact and Coping Instrument: Parent Questionnaire (CICI: PQ). Nursing Res 1984; 33(4): 218-222.
- Landgraf JM, Erling A, Wilkund I, Abetz L, Ware JE. The Child Health Questionnaire: issues in translation, language and culture for Swedish children and their parents. Qual Life Res 1995; 4: 451-452.
- Landgraf JM, Maunsell E, Speechley KN, Abetz L, Gibbons L, Barrera M et al. Psychometric properties of the Child Health Questionnaire (parent form) among English-and French-speaking Canadian respondents: preliminary results. Qual Life Res 1995; 4: 452-453.
- Overholser J, Fritz G. The impact of childhood cancer on the family. J Psychosoc Oncol 1990; 8(4): 71-85.
- Schulz P, Schulz C, Dibble E, Targum S, Van Kammen D, Gershon E. Patient and family attitudes about schizophrenia: implications for genetic counselling. Schizophrenia Bull 1973; 8: 504-513.
- Smith C. Quality of life in long-term total parenteral nutrition patients and their family caregivers. J Parent Ent Nutr 1993; 17: 501-506.
- Sormanti M, Dungan S, Rieker P. Pediatric bone marrow transplantation: psychosocial issues for parents after a child's hospitalisation. J Psychosoc Oncol 1994; 12(4): 23-42.
- Westborn L. Impact of chronic illness in children on parental living conditions. A population-based study in a Swedish primary care district. Scand J Primary Health Care 1992; 10: 83-90.
- Hays R, Hayashi T, Sarson S, Ware J Jr. User's Guide for the Multitrait Analysis Program (MAP). Santa Monica: RAND, 1988.
- Cronbach LJ. Coefficient alpha and the internal structure of tests. Psychometrica 1951; 16: 297-334.
- Nunnaly JC. Psychometric Theory, 2nd edn. New York: McGraw-Hill, 1978.
- Lebart L, Morineau A, Warwick K. Multivariate Descriptive Analysis. New York: John Wiley, 1984.
- Hays RD, Stewart AL. Sleep measures. In: Stewart AL, Ware JE, eds. Measuring Functioning and Well-Being. 1992: 235-259. Durham: Duke University Press.
- Marquis P. Sleep disturbance. Pharmacoeconomics 1996; 10(Suppl. 1): 25-28.
- Landgraf JM, Abetz L, Ware JE Jr. The Child Health Questionnaire: a User Manual. Boston, MA: The Health Institute, New England Medical Centre, 1996.
- Erickson P, Scott J. The On-line Guide to Quality of Life Assessment (OLGA): resource for selecting quality of life assessments. In Walker SR, Rosser RM (eds). Quality of Life assessment. Dordrecht: Kluwer Academic; 1993: pp.221-232.
- Parental quality of life and recurrent ENT infections in their children: development of a questionnaire
Quality of Life Research
Volume 7, Issue 6 , pp 501-512
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Quality of life
- Industry Sectors