Development and preliminary validation of the multiattribute Rhinitis Symptom Utility Index
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The Rhinitis Symptom Utility Index (RSUI) was developed as a preference-based measure of rhinitis symptoms. The RSUI consist of ten questions on the severity and frequency of stuffy or blocked nose, runny nose, sneezing, itching, watery eyes and itching nose or throat over a 14 day period. A cross-sectional survey of 100 adults with allergic rhinitis was completed, with data collected on rhinitis history and severity, physician-rated rhinitis severity, the Rhinitis Quality of Life Questionnaire (RQLQ) and the Health Utilities Index Mark 2 (HUI2). The mean age of the patients was 37±11 years and 60% were female and 38% had a diagnosis of asthma. A multiplicative multiattribute utility function was developed from patient-derived preferences for different rhinitis-related symptom states. The mean RSUI score for this sample was 0.72±0.23, with a range of 0.15–1.0. Two week reproducibility of the RSUI was weak (ICC=0.40). The index differentiated patients by physician-rated severity (p<0.05) and was correlated 0.35 (p<0.001) with the HUI2 and −0.67 (p<0.001) with the RQLQ total score. The RSUI is brief and easy to administer and the results of this study support its reliability and validity. The modest reproducibility reflects the day to day variability of rhinitis. The RSUI may be a useful patient outcome for clinical trials and for cost-effectiveness studies comparing medical treatments for rhinitis.
- Juniper EF, Guyatt GH. Development and testing of a new measure of health status for clinical trials in rhinoconjunctivitis. Clin Exp Allergy 1991; 21: 77-83.
- Juniper EF, Guyatt GH, Dolovich J. Assessment of quality of life in adolescents with allergic rhinoconjunctivitis: development and testing of a questionnaire for clinical trials. J Allergy Clin Immunol 1994; 93: 413-423.
- Juniper EF, Guyatt GH Andersson B, Ferrie PJ. Comparison of a powder and aerolosized budesonide in perennial rhinitis: validation of rhinitis quality of life questionnaire. Ann Allergy 1993; 70: 225-230.
- Bousquet J, Bullinger M, Fayol C, Marquis P, Valentin B, Burtin B. Assessment of quality of life in patients with perennial allergic rhinitis with the French version of the SF-36 health status questionnaire. J Allergy Clin Immunol 1994; 94: 182-188.
- Bousquet J, Duchateau J, Pignat JC et al. Improvement of quality of life by treatment with ceririzine in patients with perennial allergic rhinitis as determined by a French version of the SF-36 questionnaire. J Allergy Clin Immunol 1996; 98: 309-316.
- Harvey RP, Comer C, Sanders B et al. Model for outcomes assessment of antihistamine use for seasonal allergic rhinitis. J Allergy Clin Immunol 1996; 97: 1233-1241.
- de Graaf-in't Veld T, Koenders S, Garrelds IM, Gerth van Wijk R. The relationships between nasal hyperactivity, quality of life and nasal symptoms in patients with perennial allergic rhinitis. J Allergy Clin Immunol 1996; 98: 508-513.
- Juniper EF, Willms DG, Guyatt GH, Ferrie PJ. Aqueous beclomethasone dipropionate nasal spray in the treatment of seasonal (ragweed) rhinitis. Can Med Assoc J 1992; 147: 887-892.
- Juniper EF, Guyatt GH, O'Byrne PM, Viveiros M. Aqueous beclomethasone diproprionate nasal spray: regular versus Aas required@ use in the treatment of seasonal allergic rhinitis. J Allergy Clin Immunol 1990; 86: 380-386.
- Juniper EF, Guyatt GH, Archer B, Ferrie PJ. Aqueous beclomethasone diproprionate in the treatment of ragweed pollen-induced rhinitis: further exploration of ‘as needed’ use. J Allergy Clin Immunol 1993; 92: 66-72.
- Georgitis JW, Banov C, Boggs PB et al. Ipratropium bromide nasal spray in non-allergic rhinitis: efficacy, nasal cytological response and patient evaluation on quality of life. Clin Exp Allergy 1994; 24: 1049-1055.
- Druce HM. Spector SL, Fireman P et al. Double-blind study of intranasal ipratropium bromide in nonallergic perennial rhinitis. Ann Allergy 1992; 69: 53-60.
- Meltzer EO, Orgel HA, Bronsky EA et al. Ipratroprium bromide aqueous nasal spray for patients with perennial allergic rhinitis: a study of its effect on their symptoms, quality of life and nasal cytology. J Allergy Clin Immunol 1992; 90: 242-249.
- Revicki DA. Relationship of pharmacoeconomics and health-related quality of life. In: Spilker B, ed. Quality of Life and Pharmacoeconomics in Clinical Trials, 2nd edn. Philadelphia: Lippincott-Raven, 1996: 1077-1084.
- Sculpher MJ, Buxton MJ. The episode-free day as a composite measure of effectiveness: an illustrative economic evaluation of formoterol versus salbutamol in asthma therapy. Pharmacoeconomics, 1993; 4: 345-352.
- Feeny DH, Torrance GW. Incorporating utility-based quality-of-life assessment measures in clinical trials: two examples. Med Care 1989; 27: S190-S204.
- Bennett KJ, Torrance GW. Measuring health state preferences and utilities: rating scale, time trade-off and standard gamble techniques. In: Spilker B, ed. Quality of Life and Pharmacoeconomics in Clinical Trials, 2nd edn. Philadelphia: Lippincott-Raven, 1996: 253-266.
- Revicki DA, Leidy NK, Brennan-Diemer F, Sorensen S, Togias A. Integrating Patient Preferences into Health Outcomes: the Multi-attribute Asthma Symptom Utility Index. Chest, in press.
- Torrance GW, Feeny DH, Furlong W, Barr R, Zhang Y, Wang Q. Multi-attribute preference functions for a comprehensive health status classification system: Health Utilities Index Mark 2. Med Care, 1996; 34: 702-722.
- Feeny DH, Torrance GW, Furlong W. Health Utilities Index (HUI). In: Spilker B, ed. Quality of Life and Pharmacoeconomics in Clinical Trials, 2nd edn. Philadelphia: Lippincott-Raven, 1996: 239-252.
- Torrance GW, Boyle MH, Horwood SP. Application of multiattribute utility theory to measure social preferences for health states. Operat Res 1982; 30: 1043-1069.
- Torrance GW, Furlong W, Feeny DH, Boyle MH. Multi-attribute preference functions: Health Utilities Index. Pharmacoeconomics 1995; 7: 503-520.
- Furlong W, Feeny DH, Torrance GW, Barr R, Horsman J. Guide to Design and Development of Health-state Utility Instrumentation. Hamilton, Ontario: Centre for Health Economics and Policy Analysis, McMaster University, 1990.
- Hyland ME, Kenyou CAP, Allen R, Howarth P. Diary keeping in asthma: comparison of written and electronic methods. BMJ 1993; 306: 487-489.
- Development and preliminary validation of the multiattribute Rhinitis Symptom Utility Index
Quality of Life Research
Volume 7, Issue 8 , pp 693-702
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- rhinitis-related symptoms
- health preferences
- health-related quality of life
- patient outcomes.
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Center for Health Outcome Research, MEDTAP International, Inc, Bethesda, MD, USA
- 2. Johns Hopkins Asthma & Allergy Center, Baltimore, MD, USA
- 3. Center for Health Outcome Research, MEDTAP International, Inc, Bethesda, MD, USA