Sol–gel derived porous hydroxyapatite coatings
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The preparation of hydroxyapatite coatings on alumina substrates by a sol–gel method was investigated. A mixed ethanol solution of Ca(NO3)2·4H2O and P2O5 was used as a dipping source. The samples were characterized by solid-state 31P nuclear magnetic resonance spectroscopy, differential thermal analysis, thermogravimetry, X-ray diffraction, scanning electron microscopy and infrared reflection spectroscopy. The coating obtained at 500°C had good hydroxyapatite crystallinity, adhesive strength of about 10 MPa and dense morphology. The coating obtained at 750°C also had good crystallinity and adhesive strength but porous morphology. © 1998 Chapman & Hall
- K. de Groot, Biomaterials 1 (1980) 47.
- M. Shirkhanzadeh, J. Mater. Sci. Mater. Med. 6 (1995) 90.
- K. de Groot, J. Ceram. Soc. Jpn 99 (1991) 943.
- W. R. Lacefield, in “Materials Characteristics versus in Vivo Behavior,” Vol. 523, edited by P. Ducheyne and J. E. Lemons (Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences, New York, 1988) pp. 72-80.
- K. de Groot, R. Geesink, C. P. A. T. Klein and P. Serekian, J. Biomed. Mater. Res. 21 (1987) 1375.
- C. C. Berndt, G. N. Haddad, A. J. D. Farmer and K. A. Gross, Mater. Forum 14 (1990) 161.
- J. G. C. Wolker, J. M. A. de Blieck-Hogervorst, W. J. A. Dhert, C. P. A. T. Klein and K. de Groot, J.Therm. Spray Technol. 1 (1992) 75.
- K. de Groot, C. P. A. T. Klein, J. G. C. Wolker and J. M. A. de Blieck-Hogervorst, in “Handbook of Bioactive Ceramics”, Vol. 2, edited by T. Yamamuro (CRC Press, Boca Raton, FL, 1990) pp. 132-42.
- E. C. Shors and R. E. Holmes, in “An introduction to bioceramics”, edited by L. L. Hench and J. Wilson (World Scientific, London, 1993) pp. 181-98.
- C. J. Brinker and G. W. Scherer, “Sol—gel Science: the physics and chemistry of sol—gel processing” (Academic Press, New York, 1992) pp. 841-53.
- D. B. Haddow, P. F. James and R. van Noort, J. Mater. Sci. Mater. Med. 7 (1996) 255.
- T. Brendel, A. Engel and C. Russel, ibid. 3 (1992) 175.
- W. Weng and J. L. Baptista, J. Eur. Ceram. Soc. 17 (1997) 1151.
- M. T. Tanahashi, T. Yao, T. Kokubo, M. Minoda, T. Miyamoto, T. Nakamura and T. Yamamuro, J. Am. Ceram. Soc. 77 (1994) 2805.
- K. Ishikawa, P. Ducheyne and S. Radin, J. Mater. Sci. Mater. Med. 4 (1993) 165.
- C. Schmutz, P. Barboux, F. Ribot, F. Taulelle, M. Verdaguer and C. Fernandez-lorenzo, J. Non-Cryst. Solids 170 (1994) 250.
- W. Mao and X. Zhao, “Recrystallization and grain growth of metals” (Metallurgical Industry Press, Beijing, 1994) p. 246.
- Sol–gel derived porous hydroxyapatite coatings
Journal of Materials Science: Materials in Medicine
Volume 9, Issue 3 , pp 159-163
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors